Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs #7924681
08/10/23 03:01 AM
08/10/23 03:01 AM
South Dakota
T
TheYouthTrapper Offline OP
trapper
TheYouthTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
T

South Dakota
I'm having trouble keeping logwood dye on my 'rat traps. I used about 3 dozen of them all year and the rest of the 100 during the two weeks of the spring season on floats. And now they're very few with any dye left on them. So now I'm wondering what the best dip/dye/paint will hold up when 'rat trapping. I want to avoid waxing as I don't want to have to melt the wax off of the dog and pan to keep them tensioned where I like them.

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7924693
08/10/23 05:07 AM
08/10/23 05:07 AM
Western Oregon
M
Mike Crawford Offline
trapper
Mike Crawford  Offline
trapper
M

Western Oregon
The wax helps keep the dye on the trap. Without the wax, you'll need to continually dye them. You may look at dipping your traps instead.

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7924729
08/10/23 06:27 AM
08/10/23 06:27 AM
Pennsylvania
Longbeard12 Offline
trapper
Longbeard12  Offline
trapper

Pennsylvania
Paint them now, let them hang till season starts.

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7924855
08/10/23 09:06 AM
08/10/23 09:06 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
99% o the logwood dye on the market is just that, a dye. the term "dye"is a misnomer when talking about why you "dye" traps. Real logwood powder is tannic acid, tannic acid penetrates the rust changing is to a compound that is no longer rust but it does NOTHING to unrusted steel which means it can be easily be washed off but it turns the rust a black color on conversion, hence,the "dye"!. Keg Creek Trapping Supplies is the 1% that claims, atleast a few years ago, they have the real deal log wood powder but I'm just taking his word for that.

"The tannin is the heart of a rust converter. It reacts with the iron oxide, converting it to iron tannate, a stable blue/black corrosion product. Tannins are a group of water- and alcohol-soluble natural products extracted from a variety of plants. Little is known about their true structure as they are complex and variable. Industrial research in the effectiveness of tannin solutions as rust primers began in the 1950s. Since then, tannic acid (a tannin) has become a standard conservation treatment for corroded iron artifacts found on archeological sites. (reference)"

Last edited by Seldom; 08/10/23 09:09 AM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7924882
08/10/23 09:38 AM
08/10/23 09:38 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho

Are your traps rusty? If they are alder bark works very well to dye them, walnut hulls also, I've used hemlock boughs when I was a kid, there are other plants that will do it also (I've heard guys in the desert use sagebrush) but those are the ones I've had personal experience with. If your traps aren't rusty, as Seldom says, they won't dye with any of these, the logwood dye is supposed to have the tannin in it like using alder bark, etc.; it may also have some black dye that kinda sticks to the unrusted steel, but it is powdery and will come off. I've only used logwood dye a time or two and so don't have a lot of experience with it. Did not care for it nearly as much as using the natural stuff.

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7924905
08/10/23 10:09 AM
08/10/23 10:09 AM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
I’ve always just spray painted my water traps. Works good. When the paint wears off it’s nothin to give it another shot of paint.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7924927
08/10/23 11:15 AM
08/10/23 11:15 AM
Midland, MI.
Seldom Offline
trapper
Seldom  Offline
trapper

Midland, MI.
I'm glad Bearcat2 mentioned his sources for tannic acid because I forgot to do that in my reply. In addition to Bearcat2's sources I use black walnut hulls, hickory nut hulls, or shumac berries, etc. it's all good and you can make your solution as strong as you want.

Last edited by Seldom; 08/10/23 11:16 AM.

"A few want to know WHY, the majority appear to be satisfied just knowing HOW!"
Youtube Channel- SeldomFales
Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: Seldom] #7925327
08/10/23 08:19 PM
08/10/23 08:19 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Are you sure that is highly acidic? If you live in SD there is a lot of alkali water which is strongly basic, not acidic and that may help determine what you treat your traps with., If wax would get you 3-4 years of coverage then using a blow torch etc. to melt the wax off the dogs and pan notch would not be a bid task. If indeed the water is basic, maybe paint would hold up better, but you would still need to clean up the pan notches and dogs.

Bryce

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7925334
08/10/23 08:26 PM
08/10/23 08:26 PM
South Louisiana
T
Trappeur Gunny Offline
trapper
Trappeur Gunny  Offline
trapper
T

South Louisiana
50% rusty metal primer and 50% acetone. Dip, let dry, dip a second coat. No need to dye and wax, and it will last a very long time. Some of the areas I trap have brackish water and this coating holds up. I understand why dye and wax was used in the past, but I can’t see why anyone would want to rust their investment when there is much more efficient techniques in this day and age.

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7926213
08/11/23 10:39 PM
08/11/23 10:39 PM
Henry Co, IL
3togo Offline
trapper
3togo  Offline
trapper

Henry Co, IL
I've used the crystals and the powder that Keg Creek sells. Both work very well if boiled long enough. Marty suggests letting the traps sit overnight in the container and reheating before removing. I boiled this week and did some overnight and the rest 1-1/2 to 2 hour boil. All came out looking great. Just need to wax.

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: Trappeur Gunny] #7926894
08/12/23 09:29 PM
08/12/23 09:29 PM
Lakes Region Indiana
L
loosanarrow Offline
trapper
loosanarrow  Offline
trapper
L

Lakes Region Indiana
Originally Posted by Trappeur Gunny
50% rusty metal primer and 50% acetone. Dip, let dry, dip a second coat. No need to dye and wax, and it will last a very long time. Some of the areas I trap have brackish water and this coating holds up. I understand why dye and wax was used in the past, but I can’t see why anyone would want to rust their investment when there is much more efficient techniques in this day and age.

I went from wax and dye, to paint dip, and now back to just wax. Over the years paint builds up in spots and gets funky. Wax is refreshed to the same thickness every time. And no dry time. I skip the dye, but I wax everything one to three times a year depending on use. I even wax body grips.

Website www.mgnbd.com
Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7927094
08/13/23 07:59 AM
08/13/23 07:59 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
After 55 years of treating traps here is what I have settled on. Dying with logwood, tree barks, walnuts, burrowing in black mud, maple leaves, commercial tannic acid - tried most methods spoken about today. Not the brightest fork in the drawer but always trying something new to see if it will improve the current process. Now I dye in logwood - either cold dye in a water mixture over a few summer months OR if in a hurry, fire up the boiler for 1 hour of cooking up a trap stew. The heat is the catalyst that speeds the conversion process but 2-3 months in the air temp water mix will dye them (rusty traps) w/o any energy added from flame heat. Either way remove and rinse the traps from the dye solution and dip them in some baking soda/lime water to neutralize any remaining acid. Let them dry thoroughly and THEN add a protective coating. All water traps and BG's get a petroleum dip as it is good enough for my use however any spray paint, wax, F-1, Johnson's floor wax, steel coat, galvanizing, rustoleum types etc., etc., can be, and should be used to further protect the dyed trap steel. On the Great Plains we may have a drought (common here) and I may not use many water traps for several years or coon prices may tank ( LOL) and not use many BG's so protected like this they can be stored for a long time w/o humidity starting any oxidizing. And it will in the humid Eastern states..........In the nutshell - stop the existing rust - clean/neutralize the surface - coat/seal the surface - store or use when the need arises. My Take from this side of the creek...................... the mike

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7927115
08/13/23 08:24 AM
08/13/23 08:24 AM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
You got it Mike. I am with you on this also. Hard to beat tried and true.

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7927769
08/14/23 03:09 AM
08/14/23 03:09 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
The only real way to deal with acid water conditions Is to powder coat your traps. All my land traps are powder coated. It's a bit expensive but I knew a guy so I went ahead and did them. I also did all my 160 body grips But I really don't see the need for powder coating BGs.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7930698
08/18/23 08:43 AM
08/18/23 08:43 AM
MT (Big Sky Country)
A
Allan Minear Offline
trapper
Allan Minear  Offline
trapper
A

MT (Big Sky Country)
My suggestion is similar to what Bob suggested I'd first start with steel wool and knock down the rust and clean the traps up then rinse them off , hang to dry .
Then spray pain them on body grips I didn't spray paint them past the eyes of the springs then let the air dry then store then until needed .

You received many good suggestions which is overwhelming so try each and figure out which works best for you and your situation what I suggested worked well for me for many years in southeastern Montana so my guess is the water is about the same in both places .

Let us know what your results are and which worked best for you .
Allan

Re: Best dip/dye for acidic sloughs [Re: TheYouthTrapper] #7932503
08/20/23 04:24 PM
08/20/23 04:24 PM
Louisiana
Y
Yellowbelly Offline
trapper
Yellowbelly  Offline
trapper
Y

Louisiana
Paint for water traps there's a lot of videos online and infor in to archives to what ratio of acetone and rustoleum. I used dyed traps last year they didn't hold up I'm on my second year with some that were painted when I bought them and I haven't had to repaint

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91