No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916426
07/30/23 12:27 PM
07/30/23 12:27 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
So sad. Depression/anxiety is a tough road, and people who have never experienced it will never understand. It’s so much more than just having a hard time, or being sad. People who say it’s the cowards way out have never experienced that level of pain or anguish.

I’ll be honest, sometimes the only thing that kept me hanging on was the thought of what it would to do my wife, parents, children and brothers.

The stigma around mental health problems, that many on here perpetuate, is the reason many don’t get help and end up doing themselves. They are embarrassed to seek help. Foxxkidd, I’m glad you got help. It’s not an easy thing to do

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: Bear Tracker] #7916432
07/30/23 12:30 PM
07/30/23 12:30 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by Bear Tracker
Cathryn sorry for your pain. I have had several take their own lives. Always told my student's suicide is selfish due to the pain left behind by the rest of us. I hope he eased his pain and your pain is eased as well with time.
I always try to think of the good times and memories. Today some go on medications that cause suicide as well.

What you told your students is sad, but true.

Most in this country have things people in other countries only dream about. Yet, they want America to be more like those other countries.
Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916442
07/30/23 12:41 PM
07/30/23 12:41 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I believe that a tidal wave is coming in the next 10-20 years with the generations of free range people reaching adulthood and not capable of understanding or accepting the word no! Many throughout their entire lives have never been prepared to deal with major disappointments ever.

I’m seeing the start of it already up until a year ago the mental health facilities I dealt with for 20 years now have gone to full time staffed intakes because of the increase in demand.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916449
07/30/23 12:47 PM
07/30/23 12:47 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Law dog, I believe you’re right. I think it also has a lot to do with what people these days are eating. The highly processed, extremely sugary and salty foods with the preservatives and dyes have been shown to have a ton of detrimental effects on brain health. Social media is another big factor. It’s very bad for children’s mental health to be on social media.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916452
07/30/23 12:51 PM
07/30/23 12:51 PM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Remember everyone suggesting that Covid lockdowns would increase suicides? The exact opposite happened. During the 2 years of Covid, suicide rates plummeted, only to spike again once the lockdowns were ended.

Maybe a lot of socialization ISN'T good for ones mental well being.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: yotetrapper30] #7916455
07/30/23 12:53 PM
07/30/23 12:53 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by yotetrapper30
Remember everyone suggesting that Covid lockdowns would increase suicides? The exact opposite happened. During the 2 years of Covid, suicide rates plummeted, only to spike again once the lockdowns were ended.

Maybe a lot of socialization ISN'T good for ones mental well being.

The lack of socialization keeps me out of prison, lol.

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: Mando] #7916459
07/30/23 12:57 PM
07/30/23 12:57 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by Mando
I wonder why the rate is so much higher in men?

Man that's a whole thread by itself. I see tons of videos on this topic on tiktok. I've made a few too.

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916472
07/30/23 01:29 PM
07/30/23 01:29 PM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Why does almost everyone think that suicide is due to mental imbalance/depression? In many cases, the perpetrator is not depressed, but maybe trying to make things better for his/her loved ones. I've known suicide victims that were "right as rain" in the head, but were dealing with difficult pain, or had incurable diseases and soon headed for long-term, out-of-house, care, didn't want to be coddled and diapered, and wanted to leave with some dignity. We don't often know the reasoning, but I contend that in the elderly, it is sometimes the dignified option.

Jack

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916484
07/30/23 01:49 PM
07/30/23 01:49 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
It seems very drastic. You'd think he could of just moved if he couldn't handle living by Cathryn.

My sincere condolences to his friends and family!

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: Gulo] #7916494
07/30/23 02:11 PM
07/30/23 02:11 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Gulo
Why does almost everyone think that suicide is due to mental imbalance/depression? In many cases, the perpetrator is not depressed, but maybe trying to make things better for his/her loved ones. I've known suicide victims that were "right as rain" in the head, but were dealing with difficult pain, or had incurable diseases and soon headed for long-term, out-of-house, care, didn't want to be coddled and diapered, and wanted to leave with some dignity. We don't often know the reasoning, but I contend that in the elderly, it is sometimes the dignified option.

Jack

Agreed. These are exactly the kind of circumstances I have known others to express. They are very lucid, and feel that becoming mentally ill, dementia, incurable illness in suffering very much, etc., is exactly what they want to save their loved ones from enduring . They don't want a slow death, and an expensive one. Independent and wanting to be in control of their lives, I have known a couple of them who like to say, they will exit on their own terms. With control over themselves and dignity.

Of course it hurts those who love them, either way. The slow, expensive route, or the faster way , when it is clear about the inevitable.
Either way, loved ones hurt with them. In that circumstance, to me, it would take pure, raw courage to settle on that choice, the very opposite of cowardice.

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916509
07/30/23 02:39 PM
07/30/23 02:39 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
The suicides I know of were none of the above. It was either they take their own life for things they had done, or hope LEO’s got to them before the families of the victims. I’m guessing the embarrassment of having your name drug through the mud over their decisions was much worse than suicide. Their past was still broadcast, just not by the media.

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916513
07/30/23 02:44 PM
07/30/23 02:44 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
There are what I call “assisted” suicides and I have one in place if I ever get to the point of being a burden vs living life. One other person besides myself is responsible if I’m unable to do it myself. I prefer to not use a gun mainly for the stigmatism it brings towards guns and my way will be ruled death by natural causes.

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916532
07/30/23 03:00 PM
07/30/23 03:00 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
I don’t know of any class of people not impacted by suicide or mental health issues and in so many ways. We had an instructor at the Academy that spoke on mental health issues 10 minutes into his presentation you understand the guy is talking about himself. That blew me away maybe because he had a grip on what he was dealing with that’s lacking in others.

I asked him how he knows when he going off the rails with his thinking as we all “self talk” in our heads. He said his wife lets him know that was funny but did not answer the question I thought.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: Gulo] #7916567
07/30/23 03:44 PM
07/30/23 03:44 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by Gulo

Jack

It also, IMO , rises to the level of a human rights issue. IMO each individual should have at least some modicum of say in his own demise or treatment. How is it any different than having a living will on file with instructions of " Do Not Resuscitate" ? Or how is it different from a family deciding to unplug life support ?

Of course none of us want to see friends and loved ones take this route but that....it seems to me........is just understandable selfishness on our part.
We don't want to experience the loss and sadness. We should stand in the other guy's shoes before passing judgement IMO

Mean As Nails
Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916570
07/30/23 03:47 PM
07/30/23 03:47 PM
WISCONSIN
W
Wild_WI Offline
trapper
Wild_WI  Offline
trapper
W

WISCONSIN
Ex wife took her own life, struggled with mental health but couldn't/ wouldn't accept help. Hard to see folks in that much pain

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: white17] #7916581
07/30/23 04:09 PM
07/30/23 04:09 PM
MT
S
Slick Pan Offline
trapper
Slick Pan  Offline
trapper
S

MT
white17

It also, IMO , rises to the level of a human rights issue. IMO each individual should have at least some modicum of say in his own demise or treatment. How is it any different than having a living will on file with instructions of " Do Not Resuscitate" ? Or how is it different from a family deciding to unplug life support ?

Of course none of us want to see friends and loved ones take this route but that....it seems to me........is just understandable selfishness on our part.
We don't want to experience the loss and sadness. We should stand in the other guy's shoes before passing judgement IMO[/quote]

You are spot on and I agree 110%

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916601
07/30/23 04:36 PM
07/30/23 04:36 PM
B61-12 vicinity, MO
T
TreedaBlackdog Offline
trapper
TreedaBlackdog  Offline
trapper
T

B61-12 vicinity, MO
I treasure life and choose life. I did not bring myself into this world and will not take myself out of this world. That is selfishness. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, died for me, so that I might live. See, I have been born again. My life is no longer my own. I was bought with a price and I will live with a purpose to give others the eternal hope within Jesus Christ. Yes, sometimes life sucks as satan attacks us. Some of you need to understand we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against evil and principalities of darkness but all times, Jesus is there, waiting for us to rely on His provision if we simply surrender ourselves to Him.

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: cathryn] #7916602
07/30/23 04:41 PM
07/30/23 04:41 PM
Pa
B
Bearcub Offline
trapper
Bearcub  Offline
trapper
B

Pa
Prayers Sent, We had 5 Suicides at My Workplace !!

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: TreedaBlackdog] #7916677
07/30/23 06:27 PM
07/30/23 06:27 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog
I treasure life and choose life. I did not bring myself into this world and will not take myself out of this world. That is selfishness. My Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, died for me, so that I might live. See, I have been born again. My life is no longer my own. I was bought with a price and I will live with a purpose to give others the eternal hope within Jesus Christ. Yes, sometimes life sucks as satan attacks us. Some of you need to understand we wrestle not against flesh and blood but against evil and principalities of darkness but all times, Jesus is there, waiting for us to rely on His provision if we simply surrender ourselves to Him.

You have never watched a loved one beg for death for three straight days before they finally got their wish. Once you do, your views will change.

Re: My neighbor committed suicide [Re: TreedaBlackdog] #7916704
07/30/23 06:57 PM
07/30/23 06:57 PM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Originally Posted by TreedaBlackdog

I agree and can give a series of sermons on this and battling what I call torture every single day for 7 years now (Aug 3 will be 7 agonizing torturous years) with my health issues. It has tested me and my family more than I care to explain.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread