Lure and Bait Making

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Southern Snares
Please support our sponsor for the Lure and Bait makers forum - Southern Snares

Print Thread
Hop To
Coon gland lure #7906036
07/14/23 03:42 PM
07/14/23 03:42 PM
Rochester, MN
Teacher Offline OP
trapper
Teacher  Offline OP
trapper

Rochester, MN
I understand coon gland lure works very well during mating season. If it’s made of coon glands, is it made predominantly from female glands. If it was male glands, I suspect it would tick female and non-dominant males off instead of attracting them. What are your thoughts?

Never too old to learn
Re: Coon gland lure [Re: Teacher] #7906170
07/14/23 07:14 PM
07/14/23 07:14 PM
PA
Coon Duke Offline
trapper
Coon Duke  Offline
trapper

PA
A lot of coon gland lure is used to evict female raccoons in ADC situations.

I would be interested to hear how heavily it is used during late season fur trapping. I’m sure Bob Jameson knows as much on this subject as anyone.

~ PTA Life #482 - FTA - NTA ~

https://tstrapline.com/

https://youtube.com/@toddstrohecker
Re: Coon gland lure [Re: Teacher] #7906667
07/15/23 02:54 PM
07/15/23 02:54 PM
SW Pa
B
Bob Jameson Offline
trapper
Bob Jameson  Offline
trapper
B

SW Pa
There are several uses for a raccoon gland lure. How it is built and from what primary materials is key as to the effects it will have on other raccoon. Typically, trappers will use a raccoon gland lure in December and January. This is the time of year that coon begin to seek a mate and not just looking for a meal.

During warm up periods and slightly warming trends during sustained cold temps the male coon will be out looking for females. They will travel and search denning sites and den trees to find a receptive mate. Both sexes go thru biological changes which cause them to be curious and will find interest in a gland lure in general.

Early fall to early winter food baits/food lures are better options. Putting on body fat for the winter are the key goals at this time of year.

Special developed raccoon gland formulas are used during birthing periods for pup rearing sows. So the time of year and the formula being used can have vastly different results to a specific type of gland lure. What becomes an interesting, curious odor in the winter months during breeding season, can then become a fear/caution red flag reaction during pup rearing times in the spring.

Re: Coon gland lure [Re: Teacher] #7911686
07/23/23 11:00 AM
07/23/23 11:00 AM
Monroeville NJ
J
Jonesie Offline
trapper
Jonesie  Offline
trapper
J

Monroeville NJ
I have three coon gland formulations. One is for eviction, one is for boars only in the fur breeding season when I may not want the females and one that can be used for sow or boars. The last will still make some sows avoid it.. it mainly attracts females when they are in the heat cycle. I made it for the ADC field, not the fur trade. I will add one more little thought here, it is not only the gland/type, but when the gland is collected that will make a big difference.

Last edited by Jonesie; 07/23/23 11:05 AM.

Ron Jones
http://www.acpwildlifepro.net/
Rednecks Pride Game Calls / Outdoor Scents
Rednecks Pride Outdoors podcast
Friend me on FaceBook
Re: Coon gland lure [Re: Teacher] #7913033
07/25/23 07:42 PM
07/25/23 07:42 PM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Online content
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Online Content
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
coons are gluttons

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Wolfdog91