No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7909615
07/19/23 11:33 PM
07/19/23 11:33 PM
Custer Co, Idaho
S
sneaky Offline
trapper
sneaky  Offline
trapper
S

Custer Co, Idaho
Still seeing quite a few rubber boas around my neck of the woods Jack. Occasional garter, but not very often.

Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand
Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7909658
07/20/23 02:19 AM
07/20/23 02:19 AM
north Idaho
decoy Offline
trapper
decoy  Offline
trapper

north Idaho
Jack , south of you just a few miles, Leadore, no buzztails but around your area there are from the reports I got while hunting.

Hunt with your Kids, not for them.
>>>----->

Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7909701
07/20/23 06:18 AM
07/20/23 06:18 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yesterdays little helpers.......jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Snakes! [Re: Norwestalta] #7909754
07/20/23 07:56 AM
07/20/23 07:56 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Originally Posted by Norwestalta
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Here ya go…I love these snakes. Most docile venomous snake I’ve come across.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

What kind of snake is this?

Cottonmouth (notice white inside mouth, hence the name cottonmouth)

the just shall live by faith

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
1776 - the year we told a tyrant we weren't to be under a dictator
Caveat ater macula
Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7909785
07/20/23 08:54 AM
07/20/23 08:54 AM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline
trapper
N

Alberta
Ok thanks. If cotton mouths are the most docile, what are the most aggressive? Does the heat you're getting change their moods?

Re: Snakes! [Re: Norwestalta] #7909823
07/20/23 10:12 AM
07/20/23 10:12 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Ok thanks. If cotton mouths are the most docile, what are the most aggressive? Does the heat you're getting change their moods?

I think maybe sarcasm was in Wanna Be’s post. I never found a docile cottonmouth in Arkansas or Texas.

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
Caveat ater macula
Re: Snakes! [Re: the Blak Spot] #7909824
07/20/23 10:17 AM
07/20/23 10:17 AM
Wabash, IN USA
Flipper 56 Offline
trapper
Flipper 56  Offline
trapper

Wabash, IN USA
Originally Posted by the Blak Spot

I think maybe sarcasm was in Wanna Be’s post. I never found a docile cottonmouth in Arkansas or Texas.

grin

"Where Can A Man Find Bear Beaver And Other Critters Worth Cash Money When Skinned?"

Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7909841
07/20/23 10:47 AM
07/20/23 10:47 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
No sarcasm. I’ve only been struck by one and that’s because I stepped on it. Should’ve been struck by a lot more. All they’ve done is coil up and show their namesake when they open their mouth. They’ve never chased me and if given the opportunity, will get the heck out of Dodge as quick as a Racer. I will also tell you that the white of their mouth also shows up in the dark. Walking around under starlight and see that right next to your leg will check your heart condition. Apparently my heart is good to go, lol.
Rattlesnakes seem to coil, rattle, and strike. Thankfully we don’t have many copperheads here. Been struck twice by them and never even saw them until they struck.

And yes, I wear snakeboots if it’s above 60 degrees.

Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7909859
07/20/23 11:37 AM
07/20/23 11:37 AM
Bonner County, Idaho
Wild_Idaho Offline
trapper
Wild_Idaho  Offline
trapper

Bonner County, Idaho
This is a fascinating post I love snakes. Funny story when my brother ànd I were growing up in Central Oregon, two of our friends and us filled a 5 gallon bucket halfway full with garter snakes. That evening we decided to take them home while the parents were gone and bring them in the bathroom. We got the bright idea to dump them in the sink. There were snakes everywhere and escaping through the sink overflow and such. My mom came home and screamed bloody murder at us. Snakes were being found all through the house for the next day or two. Fun research project as I remember it.

Real name Eric
The sharpest hammer in the box of crayons.

Re: Snakes! [Re: Wanna Be] #7910168
07/20/23 08:06 PM
07/20/23 08:06 PM
Alberta
N
Norwestalta Offline
trapper
Norwestalta  Offline
trapper
N

Alberta
No sarcasm. I’ve only been struck by one and that’s because I stepped on it. Should’ve been struck by a lot more. All they’ve done is coil up and show their namesake when they open their mouth. They’ve never chased me and if given the opportunity, will get the heck out of Dodge as quick as a Racer. I will also tell you that the white of their mouth also shows up in the dark. Walking around under starlight and see that right next to your leg will check your heart condition. Apparently my heart is good to go, lol.
Rattlesnakes seem to coil, rattle, and strike. Thankfully we don’t have many copperheads here. Been struck twice by them and never even saw them until they struck.

I think I'll take my chances with a grizzle bear. After being by a few snakes, you don't figure it's time to quit messing with them?

Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7910188
07/20/23 08:26 PM
07/20/23 08:26 PM
McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
O
OKforester Offline
trapper
OKforester  Offline
trapper
O

McCurtain Co. Oklahoma
Gulo can you elaborate on the research project you are working on?

Re: Snakes! [Re: OKforester] #7910451
07/21/23 08:23 AM
07/21/23 08:23 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Originally Posted by OKforester
Gulo can you elaborate on the research project you are working on?

It's simply gathering natural history data on five species of snake we have here in the area (prairie rattlesnakes, gophersnakes, rubber boas, western terrestrial garter snakes, and western racers). Little data are available in the scientific literature. I'm simply trying to advance the science, with no agenda attached. Mainly, I'm looking for population changes reflected in catch-per-unit-effort (CPUE) transects. Since 2011, one species locally has declined 85%, while the other 4 species have remained relatively stable. Why is this? Natural, long-tern fluctuations or something else? In addition, I'm looking at diet and reproduction with snakes I find road-killed. Each snake is captured and measured (snout-vent length and total length), weighed, sexed, photographed (for "voucher"), and released. Road-kills are collected and necropsied for diet and reproductive status.

In Idaho, basic information like a species range and general habitat are lacking. For several species, I've been able to expand the known range through this work. In northern Idaho, I've documented dozens or hundreds of records of "rare" species, dispelling the idea that these species are "threatened" or "endangered".All my records go into a statewide database (Idaho Fish and Wildlife Information System [IFWIS]) so other scientists can use the data. I'm just trying to expand the knowledge base in a state that heretofor has paid little attention to herpetiles. I've spent literally hundreds of dollars, mainly on gasoline, driving thousands of miles documenting these snakes (and "other" herpetofauna. I am not working for any state, federal, or private agency, so I can't be swayed in my data collection or reporting. Has been fun and certainly interesting. Over the years, we've collected over 4,000 records on 32 species of herpetofauna (snakes, lizards, frogs, toads, salamanders, etc.).

Re: Snakes! [Re: Norwestalta] #7910472
07/21/23 09:16 AM
07/21/23 09:16 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia

I think I'll take my chances with a grizzle bear. After being by a few snakes, you don't figure it's time to quit messing with them?

Never bitten, they’ve all hit the snakeboots. I don’t mess with nor do I go looking for them. This is just every day walking around. Whether we’re on a quail hunt, or deer hunting, or walking around at night in the dark hog hunting, the snakes are out and about. With snakeboots I don’t even look for them, just go where I want to go and don’t really think about it.
The only time it crosses my mind is during turkey season. If I’ve roosted a bird the night before and go in under the cover of darkness, I’ll sweep my foot around quietly before I sit down. Almost sat on a Canebrake once, lol.

Re: Snakes! [Re: decoy] #7910985
07/22/23 07:42 AM
07/22/23 07:42 AM
Idaho, Lemhi County
G
Gulo Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
Gulo  Offline OP
"On The Other Hand"
G

Idaho, Lemhi County
Originally Posted by sneaky
Still seeing quite a few rubber boas around my neck of the woods Jack. Occasional garter, but not very often.

Originally Posted by decoy
Jack , south of you just a few miles, Leadore, no buzztails but around your area there are from the reports I got while hunting.

To me, it's extremely interesting to look closely at snake distribution. Yeah decoy, the rattlesnakes don't appear to get more than about 3 miles above Lemhi. The gophersnakes (bullsnakes) are along the main Salmon River, but don't get up the Lemhi River at all. Rubber boas seem to be everywhere, but in low numbers. I have a hard time trying to describe and predict distribution with any accuracy.

Sneaky, do your garter snakes have any red on them at all? We only have the western terrestrial garter snake here, but "official" range maps show common garter snakes as well. In over 1000 garter snake captures, I've never seen the common garter snake here in the Lemhi.

Re: Snakes! [Re: Wild_Idaho] #7911009
07/22/23 08:16 AM
07/22/23 08:16 AM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
Originally Posted by Wild_Idaho
This is a fascinating post I love snakes. Funny story when my brother ànd I were growing up in Central Oregon, two of our friends and us filled a 5 gallon bucket halfway full with garter snakes. That evening we decided to take them home while the parents were gone and bring them in the bathroom. We got the bright idea to dump them in the sink. There were snakes everywhere and escaping through the sink overflow and such. My mom came home and screamed bloody murder at us. Snakes were being found all through the house for the next day or two. Fun research project as I remember it.

grin

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
Caveat ater macula
Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7911372
07/22/23 06:46 PM
07/22/23 06:46 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
A swimming cottonmouth will look to climb aboard your jon boat around here.
A buddy of mine who is not a fan of any snake was catfishing on the river on a pitch black night. Him and his buddy were anchored up front and back with four lines out.
They kept hearing something rubbing on the side of the gunnel. Finally my buddy shined a light and saw what it was, fired up the outboard and commenced to drag both anchors and 4 rods on down the river.
His buddy, not knowing what was going and hollered, "What are doing?! All Curtis was able to say was, "Snakes!!!"
His buddy said, "What about the anchors and the rods?!
Curtis replied with something about reproductive properties of said equipment as well as relaying his opinion of the reproductive habits of said snakes.

Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7911384
07/22/23 07:19 PM
07/22/23 07:19 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
I’ve seen water snakes try to get in boats, but never a cottonmouth. They are always misidentified as cottonmouths and folks freak when I grab them. I can promise I’m not grabbing a venomous snake!!

Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7911411
07/22/23 07:55 PM
07/22/23 07:55 PM
central arkansas
T
the Blak Spot Offline
trapper
the Blak Spot  Offline
trapper
T

central arkansas
This one was in the vicinity of kids. My son was only one who could take care of it and he wasn’t going to attempt a relocation with a messed up left hand

1759C18B-414B-47BD-A604-9D2FBF616CBC.jpeg

member FTA, ATA, EAFT
Caveat ater macula
Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7911414
07/22/23 07:57 PM
07/22/23 07:57 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
That’s a pretty canebrake!

Re: Snakes! [Re: Gulo] #7911421
07/22/23 08:01 PM
07/22/23 08:01 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Originally Posted by Gulo
In Idaho, basic information like a species range and general habitat are lacking. For several species, I've been able to expand the known range through this work. In northern Idaho, I've documented dozens or hundreds of records of "rare" species, dispelling the idea that these species are "threatened" or "endangered".

Jack, the reason you've been able to "expand the known range" is that you have been catching animals, since a very young age and know where to look. Sadly most wildlife researchers don't have the experience they need to do the research.

A friend of mine, who is a brilliant jet engineer, invited me to go to a Montgomery County, Ohio Stream Team check of Wolf Creek. Their team and others had been monitoring the creek, for several years. I went and observed while they checked water temperature, turbidity, dissolved oxygen level, PH and took samples for spectrograph pollutant analysis. My friend than got in the creek, with a seine, to try to catch a long list of macroinvertebrate species, that are indicators of water quality. He caught 6 of the 36 species on the list, which caused the creek to be rated poor for biodiversity. When he finished, I asked him what he had been trying to catch. The list of species he was trying to catch mostly live in slow water, in vegetation, roots, muck and under cover like rocks. He only seined in fast moving, heavily oxygenated water, in full sunlight. I took the seine out and worked in vegetation, roots, muck, under rocks and in the shade and in much less time, caught 34 of the 36 species on the list. The section of creek's rating went to excellent.

One of the women there was normally part of one of the other teams. She asked me to come to her team's check, the next day and see what I could catch. Their section of creek was also rated poor for biodiversity. I caught 35 of the 36 species on the list, causing their section of the creek to also be rated excellent.

The woman in charge of the entire program for the county heard about this and asked me to teach every person in the entire program, which I did the following week.

I also set up a native fish tank at the county office.

Keith

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread