No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
the paratroop kid is anxious for the hunting seaso #7905643
07/13/23 11:59 PM
07/13/23 11:59 PM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
And maybe a bit ambitious, even for Alaska.

I think his caribou hunting will be a north slope tundra area. In that particular unit, they have to get 5 miles away from the road to use a rifle. He plans to take a week of leave to try to get it done. The possible sheep hunting is actually a lot closer to his place, just have to get high enough and get lucky...

[Linked Image]

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Re: the paratroop kid is anxious for the hunting seaso [Re: NonPCfed] #7905648
07/14/23 12:15 AM
07/14/23 12:15 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
He's a resident? Yes, that's the haul road, also known as the Dalton hiway. Has to be 5 miles from ANY point t on the hiway. Road curves and walking out 5 miles from one spot maynot put you 5 miles from another spot.
Guy from lower 48 got lost a couple years ago on the tundra and was never found.
Where is he Hunting sheep? Moose?

Last edited by martentrapper; 07/14/23 12:16 AM.
Re: the paratroop kid is anxious for the hunting seaso [Re: NonPCfed] #7905654
07/14/23 12:21 AM
07/14/23 12:21 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Looks like a great year regardless if those tags all get punched. Be sure to keep us posted on his seasion progress. My young boys the 13 year old especially is stoked. Was talking about scouting fore squirl hunting spots. Today he checked his trail cam and had two shooter bucks to him on it. That got him going.

It's hard to look them over for me in velvet and on that small 2" screen but I'm guessing 120s or so. Ordered a card reader so o can look at then better. Thay are not consistent been on camera maybe a few times of they were the ones when sa lot smaller. Sure lit a fire in him though.

Re: the paratroop kid is anxious for the hunting seaso [Re: NonPCfed] #7905755
07/14/23 07:36 AM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
There is a thread on caribou hunting 5 miles off the Dalton hwy on another forum specifically for hunters. 5 miles doesn't sound like much but it is all tundra and is described as a brutal hike. Some folks like it, others say never again. Should be OK for a young fit guy.

Re: the paratroop kid is anxious for the hunting seaso [Re: NonPCfed] #7905756
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
There is a thread on caribou hunting 5 miles off the Dalton hwy on another forum specifically for hunters. 5 miles doesn't sound like much but it is all tundra and is described as a brutal hike. Some folks like it, others say never again. Should be OK for a young fit guy.

Re: the paratroop kid is anxious for the hunting seaso [Re: NonPCfed] #7905766
07/14/23 07:57 AM
07/14/23 07:57 AM
se South Dakota
NonPCfed Offline OP
trapper
NonPCfed  Offline OP
trapper

se South Dakota
martentrapper- He's a resident now (been in the state for a year). I think the up north trip will be with a more senior NCO who's done it before. The idea is set up a base camp once they get in the required distance and hunt outwards (further in) from it.

He and his Army buddies spent a lot of time in the coastal mountains south of Anchorage and on the Kenai. They often see sheep although where those buggers are during the season is another story. He's talked about getting taken in by water in some places. I think one of the senior NCOs got a sheep down in that area in 2021.

As for moose, I don't think its going to be a big distance from home. There seems to be plenty around from the videos I see that he makes.

"And God said, Let us make man in our image �and let them have dominion �and all the creatures that move along the ground".
Genesis 1:26
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread