Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Portable pockets #7903189
07/10/23 09:01 PM
07/10/23 09:01 PM
Somerset Pennsylvania
F
FarmerDan Offline OP
trapper
FarmerDan  Offline OP
trapper
F

Somerset Pennsylvania
Anyone have any luck with portable pocket? I made some to try last year and didn’t catch anything with them. I’ve had good luck with the pipe dream set so I was surprised when these didn’t work. My only thought was when I put lure/bait with wool it didn’t allow enough air flow. I think the pipes I used are smaller than the originals. Can anyone tell me the size pipe they are made with? My other thought was that with warm weather when I was trapping in Mississippi it made the bait and lure get to warm and then not smell right. I also spray painted them but I doubt that had much to do with it. I like being able to protect the bait from rain and get it off the ground a little but now I’m questioning whether I should keep using them.

Re: Portable pockets [Re: FarmerDan] #7903205
07/10/23 09:27 PM
07/10/23 09:27 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
I've caught coyotes and everything else in Ohio with em but mustelids with 3" and 1" pipes.

Are you blending the pipes in with grass or other debris? Coyotes don't seem to like the bare pipe much. They'll come into it but they'll work it more from the side than anything. First part of a some trail camera videos on my tests with it so this pretty well,camera didn't help either obviously

Re: Portable pockets [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7903352
07/11/23 07:28 AM
07/11/23 07:28 AM
Somerset Pennsylvania
F
FarmerDan Offline OP
trapper
FarmerDan  Offline OP
trapper
F

Somerset Pennsylvania
I’d say 95% of the pipes were covered up. That’s a good video. I may just need to give them another try.

Re: Portable pockets [Re: FarmerDan] #7903576
07/11/23 02:30 PM
07/11/23 02:30 PM
NE
P
plainstrapping25 Offline
trapper
plainstrapping25  Offline
trapper
P

NE
I use them on lakes for beaver. Work good for me

Re: Portable pockets [Re: FarmerDan] #7903602
07/11/23 03:08 PM
07/11/23 03:08 PM
perry co.Pa
wetdog Offline
trapper
wetdog  Offline
trapper

perry co.Pa
I used these last season for mink.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I managed to catch some mink with them. I'll run these exclusively this season because they are fast and simple

Re: Portable pockets [Re: wetdog] #7905168
07/13/23 11:47 AM
07/13/23 11:47 AM
Wisconsin
Muskrat Offline
trapper
Muskrat  Offline
trapper

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by wetdog
I used these last season for mink.

I managed to catch some mink with them. I'll run these exclusively this season because they are fast and simple

Good ideas there Wetdog.

Ever consider something stackable to save on space in the boat or pack?

https://www.familydollar.com/tall-p...WmvxKQGUI7YgL5Y_hLOwk28bcmRoCCw0QAvD_BwE

Re: Portable pockets [Re: FarmerDan] #7905176
07/13/23 11:55 AM
07/13/23 11:55 AM
Wisconsin
T
The Beav Offline
trapper
The Beav  Offline
trapper
T

Wisconsin
Take your tile spade dig a slot In the bank like you were planting a tree. Drop In your bait and kick It shut. Place 2 traps one at each edge of the slot.
No need to be hauling all that extra stuff around.
The plastic Is OK but the first coon that Is caught your going to have a mess.

Last edited by The Beav; 07/13/23 11:57 AM.

The forum Know It All according to Muskrat
Re: Portable pockets [Re: FarmerDan] #7905219
07/13/23 12:48 PM
07/13/23 12:48 PM
North Carolina
Terry C Offline
trapper
Terry C  Offline
trapper

North Carolina
I'm not familiar with this set.

National Trappers Assoc. 2023 sustaining member, N.C. Trappers Assoc., Fur Takers of America
Proverbs 27:17
Respectfully
TerryC
Re: Portable pockets [Re: Terry C] #7905346
07/13/23 03:49 PM
07/13/23 03:49 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Online content
The Count
~ADC~  Online Content
The Count

Iowa
Originally Posted by Terry C

It appears there are several variations and interpretations of "portable pockets". IMO they are an unneeded gimmick in water sets and a spin off of a pipe dream set on land.

Re: Portable pockets [Re: ~ADC~] #7905363
07/13/23 04:09 PM
07/13/23 04:09 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

It appears there are several variations and interpretations of "portable pockets". IMO they are an unneeded gimmick in water sets and a spin off of a pipe dream set on land.

Portable pockets well predated the pipe dream set. I'm sure LT will be along soon to say by how much.

They aren't any more gimmicky than the fish on a stick set is.

Last edited by SNIPERBBB; 07/13/23 04:09 PM.
Re: Portable pockets [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7905582
07/13/23 10:13 PM
07/13/23 10:13 PM
Somerset Pennsylvania
F
FarmerDan Offline OP
trapper
FarmerDan  Offline OP
trapper
F

Somerset Pennsylvania
The pipe in a pipe dream set can fill up with water. A typical portable pocket can take pretty much any rain and still keep bait dry which is the reason I like them. Plus in some situations you can get the bait/lure elevated and get more airflow over it. The typical portable pocket can also double as your stake.

Re: Portable pockets [Re: ~ADC~] #7905737
07/14/23 07:17 AM
07/14/23 07:17 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

These where actually before the pipe dream.

Re: Portable pockets [Re: FarmerDan] #7905743
07/14/23 07:25 AM
07/14/23 07:25 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Ok so here's a little write up I did on my experience fiddling with them . Sorry it's copy pasted from another forum because I don't feel like tying it all out again . Lt might have to correct me on a few details though.

There not for every where , at least the full size versions. I'll have to find it but dale Billisley did a video where he said they where made by a guy for coon trapping to get around some of the laws regarding the fish steak set. Apparently it didnt count as visible bait if it was shoved in a pipe at the same height as a fish stick set. Then apparently LT got a hold of it and he was using them for coon before dp's. Around creeks ,ponds and even puddles and the like. And I have to say they are super fast . Heavy but it the ground is soft their stupid fast. Was playing with them for a bit and around ponds or the creeks around here and could have three or four sets in in about 3mins. Faster if I prebate them that being said this was really soft ground and I was usually able to just sink them in with one hand and no real effort. Slap the trap in the front and done. Never really had to get in the water either like with pockets. That being said though they are heavy. Was never walking more then 20yd from my truck or four wheeler so their not very good for anyone walking a huge line . Or if you have something like rocky bottoms or rip rap.

Anyway yeah apparently that how LT uses them and then he showed Clint and Clint being the kind a guy he is thought they could work for coyotes and the like and he started using them for multi species. Played around with this too ( and y'all know I don't catch anything but I'm dumb enough to play with this stuff so save your breath mkay ? Mkay thanks) I'll tell you driving in the 34"-24" o es in soft soil or wet clay, not real problem honestly prefer it to breaking in cable stakes. But of course baked red clay ...yeaahhh no. Then again I'd hope people would have the common sense not to use them in that environment.was thinking about driving some in when it was really wet and just using them as kinda. A semi permanent deal through the summer but never got around to it. HOWEVER. I did make what he calls minis and really all it is is that same pipe but on a 12" barn spike. Those where AMAZING with drags, usually just kicked in or split a grass clump and baited the mini nailed it in and re puffed the grass around it so you couldn't tell it was there. Wasn't there for eye appeal but did completely protect my bait and lure from the rain ( sorry really really really hate messing with flooded dirt holes) and since it was a few inches up off the ground in the clump I think the smell was spread better. Idk, though all I know my bait stayed good for a lot longer. Ants where LITTLE less of a pain too . Also pounding that spike in baked clay a whole 3-7" was wayyy easier then tryin to dig a dirt hole . Still a pain compared to just making a urine post on a stump or something but alot less than a dirt hole .
Remakes where easy. Would stuff some feathers in in one and just nail them under a bush or something with a trao in front . Coon seemed to like that along with the greys. Pain d some whit too like dps. Idk I likes then for what I did but y'all know me. I catch a few coon a fox or two and I'm happy. I have a crap load of trail cam footage of critters working them , somewhere , probably on a flash drive buried somewhere in my house idk. But yeah for a lazy hobby guy like me their nifty pro guys like y'all...nah. then again most of y'all can get away with urine, a trap , and stake so I guess when your at that level what most anything extra is kinda a waste ya know.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91