No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7897907
07/02/23 07:27 PM
07/02/23 07:27 PM
new york
B
buster916 Offline
trapper
buster916  Offline
trapper
B

new york
We farm 3000 acres, Hire all our spraying and they need to be held accountable

Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7897932
07/02/23 08:01 PM
07/02/23 08:01 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Ash the neighbor to only spray when there is a favorable wind direction and to notofy you on the day he intends to spray. Seems reasonable. Maybe a certified letter is necessary.

Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7897942
07/02/23 08:18 PM
07/02/23 08:18 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
My power company told me I can tell them I'm an organic farm and they won't spray on me. Our first year with the farm the guy running the spray truck thought he was doing me a favor spraying my weed covered fence. They have not done it since

Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7897948
07/02/23 08:27 PM
07/02/23 08:27 PM
ND
S
Skogmann Offline
trapper
Skogmann  Offline
trapper
S

ND
Its a bad deal. The rules that producers/applicators must follow do nothing to address the vaporization problem. It only amounts to the seed companies placing the liability on applicators and the government can say we did "something". It is the equivalent of hoping more guns laws stop mentally ill people from going on a shooting spree.

I would bet that the applicator followed all regulations. The rules are written to release the chemical company from any liability. The applicators are an easy scapegoat in this situation.

Last edited by Skogmann; 07/02/23 08:31 PM.
Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: Skogmann] #7898187
07/03/23 07:58 AM
07/03/23 07:58 AM
Illinois
L
lobo Offline OP
trapper
lobo  Offline OP
trapper
L

Illinois
Fortunately for me, I gave many of my seedlings to friends and family and the seedlings are doing great with them. They will supply me with the heirloom tomatoes I prefer. I can't eat all the tomatoes I produce in a normal season. I give them to several people who prefer them over the hybrid ones. Those people will be disappointed this year.

I'm going to remove some trees and move my garden father back next year .It will be quite a job. 3 large trees have to come down, soil amended, garden fence pulled out and moved. I'm going to let the co op know the efforts I'll be going through to help alleviate the problem and that it better never ever happen again.

Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7898210
07/03/23 08:27 AM
07/03/23 08:27 AM
Iowa
B
beeman Offline
trapper
beeman  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
Over the years my garden has been contaminated by crop sprayers at least 3 times. Once by an a airplane applicator applying fungicide to corn with the wind blowing directly toward my garden. The applicator paid me $2000 for contaminated produce. Number 2 was local coop with highboy spraying corn field next to my acreage and contaminated my produce and killed grass along my property. I settled for $6000. Last year within a week our garden was sprayed with some sort of fungicide by neighbors on both sides of my garden. This has been verified by IDAL Pesticide Division. We went ahead canned and froze what we could but no one has said that it is safe to eat and will undoubtably have to toss all of it. The pesticide division of IDAL is almost a year behind in handing down decisions. August 5 will be a year.

You need to get ahold and file a complaint with your pesticide division of your states ag and land stewardship.

Eating tainted produce cannot be good for you. Do not be afraid of holding your neighbor or applicator responsible for spraying your garden. They did not care about you or your property when the allowed their spray to come in contact with your garden. You need to take pictures of your garden and get prices of lost produce from local farmers markets to estimate your losses. Unless the chemical company can unequivocally say your produce is safe to eat (none will do that) you need to make a claim.

You have suffered a loss. They should pay for your damages. You have every right to live and not have your property ruined by uncaring people.

Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7898253
07/03/23 09:31 AM
07/03/23 09:31 AM
Illinois
L
lobo Offline OP
trapper
lobo  Offline OP
trapper
L

Illinois
Part of my problem is that the co op that did the damage does millions of dollars worth of business with the company that I retired from. I should say semi-retired as I still work for them some part time. I'm not going to jeopardize that relationship by filing any complaints or seeking out any compensation through legal proceedings.

Also, the landowner is very generous in allowing me to hunt fish and trap on his 300 plus acres. But he's kind of strange about things like this and I won't get him involved. The last time they got my tomatoes he was the first one to come see me as he knew that the wind was wrong. They also sprayed the garden of the landowner of one of his farms he rents. He frets over the most trivial things I know that this would just get him worked up again.

I's not his fault. He's not the one running the sprayer and I won't get him involved. Yes he could control when they spray but I'm not going to put that kind of pressure on him as he would just stress out about it. You'd have to know him to understand what I'm talking abut.

Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7898259
07/03/23 09:41 AM
07/03/23 09:41 AM
Iowa
B
beeman Offline
trapper
beeman  Offline
trapper
B

Iowa
Originally Posted by lobo
Part of my problem is that the co op that did the damage does millions of dollars worth of business with the company that I retired from. I should say semi-retired as I still work for them some part time. I'm not going to jeopardize that relationship by filing any complaints or seeking out any compensation through legal proceedings.

Also, the landowner is very generous in allowing me to hunt fish and trap on his 300 plus acres. But he's kind of strange about things like this and I won't get him involved. The last time they got my tomatoes he was the first one to come see me as he knew that the wind was wrong. They also sprayed the garden of the landowner of one of his farms he rents. He frets over the most trivial things I know that this would just get him worked up again.

I's not his fault. He's not the one running the sprayer and I won't get him involved. Yes he could control when they spray but I'm not going to put that kind of pressure on him as he would just stress out about it. You'd have to know him to understand what I'm talking abut.

If the elevator backed their sprayer over your pickup and totaled it would you still have the same feelings? You suffered a loss and until you make them pay with dollars they will continue to abuse you and your neighbors. Don’t complain if you are not ready to pursue remedy’s.

Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7898267
07/03/23 09:59 AM
07/03/23 09:59 AM
Illinois
L
lobo Offline OP
trapper
lobo  Offline OP
trapper
L

Illinois
I haven't reached that point yet but after moving my garden and having a serious discussion with them and it happens again then the gloves are off.

Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: lobo] #7898273
07/03/23 10:26 AM
07/03/23 10:26 AM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
Eye for an eye.

Cold as ice!
Re: Tomatoes got sprayed again [Re: Jurassic Park] #7898355
07/03/23 12:03 PM
07/03/23 12:03 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
As in many situations there are many "ingredients" in the pot. You are the best one to know how you should work this out. If it were me I would relate to the parties involved that another situation has taken place. At least you are making them aware of the issue. Staying silent solves little to nothing.

Bryce

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread