No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Raccoon removal #7890420
06/22/23 12:43 PM
06/22/23 12:43 PM
Upstate, S.C.
C
Carcat Offline OP
trapper
Carcat  Offline OP
trapper
C

Upstate, S.C.
My son has a raccoon family in his attic, tucked away in a tight corner.The entry hole appears to be on the opposite side of the attic (long house). If we apply Vanish from WCS, how likely is it that she will just move to another part of the attic? It is a pretty large attic area wise, but very low crawl space, especially toward the edges. I don't want to scare her to another part of the attic and then have to find her all over again. I have tons of traps, but understand that that is not the first step or two you need to take. Thanks for you help!

Re: Raccoon removal [Re: Carcat] #7890434
06/22/23 01:13 PM
06/22/23 01:13 PM
Mountain Home, Arkansas, Baxte...
K
Kent Smith Offline
trapper
Kent Smith  Offline
trapper
K

Mountain Home, Arkansas, Baxte...
I have caused the mother to move them by hanging 2 or 3 mechanic trouble lights down the center of the attic and an all night radio playing. Usually moved the first night.

Must repair the roof or soffit very strongly as have had the mother come back next spring and tear the shingles off where the opening was trying to get back in the have her pups.

TrapperKent

Re: Raccoon removal [Re: Carcat] #7890437
06/22/23 01:16 PM
06/22/23 01:16 PM
Killingly, CT
Brian Mongeau Offline
trapper
Brian Mongeau  Offline
trapper

Killingly, CT
My first question is how mobile are the pups?
If really young, are they reachable? Catch her and grab them.
If really mobile, are they catch-able? Catch them all.

I've had good luck catching the sow in a cage at entry hole. Harass her inside the cage, just short of torture. Roll, flip, yell, kick and drop her. Release her and chase her away. She will come back and remove them. 7/9 times it has been successful. The other 2x I had to re-catch her and find the pups. I also set a trail cam to confirm she takes them, or not.

Re: Raccoon removal [Re: Kent Smith] #7890444
06/22/23 01:28 PM
06/22/23 01:28 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by Kent Smith
Must repair the roof or soffit very strongly as have had the mother come back next spring and tear the shingles off where the opening was trying to get back in the have her pups.

TrapperKent

X2

Do the repair strong. Then totally make it bulletproof. Then take into account that THE HULK will be trying to get in.

NRA benefactor member
Re: Raccoon removal [Re: Carcat] #7890451
06/22/23 01:33 PM
06/22/23 01:33 PM
pennsylvania
R
rick brocious Offline
trapper
rick brocious  Offline
trapper
R

pennsylvania
I've had very good luck with the WCS product .

Re: Raccoon removal [Re: rick brocious] #7890462
06/22/23 01:49 PM
06/22/23 01:49 PM
Kansas
Pawnee Offline
trapper
Pawnee  Offline
trapper

Kansas
Originally Posted by rick brocious
I've had very good luck with the WCS product .

I’ve heard it works well

Everything the left touches it destroys
Re: Raccoon removal [Re: Carcat] #7890467
06/22/23 02:02 PM
06/22/23 02:02 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
The WCS stuff works but some prior planning helps. Figure out how best to place the stuff to best direct her in the direction you want her to go. Ideally near and behind the denning site in relation to the entry to make her first move in the direction you want. You might also consider using it secondarily to block areas you don't want her to go. I think most of the move them even deeper issues with WCS occur when the stink is applied at or near the entry point.
I've accomplished this by drilling sheetrock where I want to apply the paste then using either a large syringe or a tube and cotton swab to push it into the attic.

[Linked Image]
Re: Raccoon removal [Re: warrior] #7890470
06/22/23 02:10 PM
06/22/23 02:10 PM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by warrior
The WCS stuff works but some prior planning helps. Figure out how best to place the stuff to best direct her in the direction you want her to go. Ideally near and behind the denning site in relation to the entry to make her first move in the direction you want. You might also consider using it secondarily to block areas you don't want her to go. I think most of the move them even deeper issues with WCS occur when the stink is applied at or near the entry point.
I've accomplished this by drilling sheetrock where I want to apply the paste then using either a large syringe or a tube and cotton swab to push it into the attic.

I've used a tennis ball dipped a little bit in the stuff. Tie a string to it for retrieval later. Chuck the tennis ball where you want it.

NRA benefactor member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread