Trap Collecting

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~

Print Thread
Hop To
Trap History Help #7884877
06/14/23 10:49 PM
06/14/23 10:49 PM
MI
A
amikula Offline OP
trapper
amikula  Offline OP
trapper
A

MI
“Looking for any possible info” sorry for the long winded message.
So I was lucky enough to pick up some amazing deals on traps at an estate sale recently. But besides that part, above the old timers fleshing table he had one solo trap tacked up on the wall for display. Obviously it was of importance. Long story short I was able to purchase it as I never seen a base plate like it drew me to it. Unfortunately it’s missing the pan usually where you find some kind of identification. It appears to be hand forged with hand pounded rivets. Looking to put some kind of identification to it cause it’s driving me crazy. Also among the goodies there was years of Fur Fish and Game and Fur Takers magazines in mint condition every edition I picked up. Among the editions was his subscription card stating in 1973 he’d been trapping for 45 years already. From my research he’d be 111 now a days and so happens to be from just miles away from me. It’s blowing my mind the history I picked up. But then to top it off while watering my garden today the dust bowl out front my chickens started I noticed something metal. And it instantly looked familiar. To me it looks like another base plate to another trap. Unfortunately haven’t found the rest yet. But looking to put a possible date to the trap to learn some history because it’s super intriguing to me. Thanks in advance[img]http://[/img]

IMG_3662.jpegIMG_3663.jpegIMG_3665.jpegIMG_3666.jpegIMG_3679.jpeg
Re: Trap History Help [Re: amikula] #7885145
06/15/23 11:39 AM
06/15/23 11:39 AM
centrel PA
Kevin Colpetzer Offline
trapper
Kevin Colpetzer  Offline
trapper

centrel PA
Standish?

Re: Trap History Help [Re: amikula] #7885381
06/15/23 06:48 PM
06/15/23 06:48 PM
ne iowa
R
roztocki Offline
trapper
roztocki  Offline
trapper
R

ne iowa
Not a Standish. I’ve collected hand forged traps for many years and don’t recall a curved point like that on any trap. Almost certainly it was a local blacksmith. What part of Michigan?

Re: Trap History Help [Re: amikula] #7885401
06/15/23 07:26 PM
06/15/23 07:26 PM
Northern Illinois
M
MChewk Offline
trapper
MChewk  Offline
trapper
M

Northern Illinois
Guys it looks the curved base was a tool or other steel item that was used.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  snakecollector