No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Darn Glasses #7859491
05/04/23 05:50 PM
05/04/23 05:50 PM
St. James, Missouri
Bigbuck Offline OP
trapper
Bigbuck  Offline OP
trapper

St. James, Missouri
Well about 7 years ago I had to start wearing read glasses (which I absolutely hate wearing) to be able to read just about any book or magazine. I was blessed to be the only one in my family to have perfect eyes no need for glasses. This past week I have gotten back into fly fishing and I'll be darn if I can see to tie any of those small flies on to my leaders. So I headed to Walmart and upgraded from 1.25 power to 3.00 power reading glasses, Now I can see an amoeba just about, it sure making a difference in being able to once again see real small items.
I can't stand getting older except I'm getting closer to retirement which is still a few years away. I guess I should have eaten more carrots when I was younger.

A long hair country boy can survive
Re: Darn Glasses [Re: Bigbuck] #7859500
05/04/23 06:15 PM
05/04/23 06:15 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Just part of aging. Wait till the ones they sell over the counter aren't strong enough. After that you'll need a prescription. I can't remember for sure but over the counter here only goes to about 4X power. I started wearing them when I turned 50. And the strength I need goes up every few years

Last edited by Turtledale; 05/04/23 06:16 PM.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Darn Glasses [Re: Bigbuck] #7859522
05/04/23 07:17 PM
05/04/23 07:17 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
At about age 50 I started to need the reading glasses.

One day I went to work, and forgot the danged things. So, I run out to buy a new pair. I grabbed a really strong pair, what mag, I don't remember. Half an hour back at work, I was getting dizzy and sea-sick.

Back to the store for a more reasonable pair. First order of business from there was an appointment with the eye doctor.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Darn Glasses [Re: Bigbuck] #7859524
05/04/23 07:19 PM
05/04/23 07:19 PM
Minnesota
M
Muskeg Offline
trapper
Muskeg  Offline
trapper
M

Minnesota
Momma told you’d go blind if you kept playing with it.

What till bifocals become part of life!

Re: Darn Glasses [Re: Muskeg] #7859531
05/04/23 07:40 PM
05/04/23 07:40 PM
Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Sharon Offline
"American Honey"
Sharon  Offline
"American Honey"

Montana ,Rocky Mtns.
Originally Posted by Muskeg
Momma told you’d go blind if you kept playing with it.

What till bifocals become part of life!

grin I didn’t expect that….lol

Re: Darn Glasses [Re: Bigbuck] #7859586
05/04/23 09:23 PM
05/04/23 09:23 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I was switching back and forth glasses all through he meeting I was just at for 2 hours , read a contract , go to type notes in my computer switch glasses

my distance glasses work for the computer as it is far enough away on the monitor 30-40 inches depending on monitor

this time the eye doc gave me 3 scripts

near , far and bifocals

I decided to pretend I didn't need bifocals and now I am thinking I need to order a set , this is a real pain

most of what I read in the day is on a screen or my hand written notes I write in like 14 point font with a bold pen so those are not and issue

my near glasses are great for arms length and closer but are about useless past arms reach

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Darn Glasses [Re: Bigbuck] #7859612
05/04/23 10:09 PM
05/04/23 10:09 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Put 'em on, take 'em off, repeat, repeat, repeat.

So, one day, I strap myself into an aerobatic Cessna 150. Do the precheck/run-up with glasses, Took 'em off and put them on the dash so I could see the horizon. It probably took them five minutes to be hiding on the floor out of reach. That's when I got bifocals and kept them on my face ever since.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Darn Glasses [Re: Bigbuck] #7859649
05/04/23 10:52 PM
05/04/23 10:52 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Been wearing glasses since I was twelve, nearsighted with astigmatism. No easy answer on prescription lenses.

They fog up in winter and sweat drips on them in summer. Always vulnerable to get knocked off your face if doing anything strenuous.

No easy way to wear sunglasses as that means two pairs to keep up with.

Now my eyes need two different lenses for close and far.

Been an interesting run. I remember real glass glasses, those were heavy and dug into the bridge of the nose. The first photogrey lenses that changed from clear to dark. The hard contacts, semi-hard, soft, extended wear gas permeable. Been there done that, wore that.

What worked for the longest was the extended wear contacts but then I needed readers. Then that didn't work so now I'm back to glasses all the time but the invisline bifocals. Some report depth perception issues when going to them but I haven't. They function perfectly for 90% of my day.

The only issue I have now is reading in bed. I've had that bad habit since childhood. Lying on my back I end up looking through the top of the lenses making reading impossible just as impossible as tilting my head back to look out the bottom. So my solution is to lose the glasses altogether to read while in bed. But since I may need them they don't go on the nightstand but on the bed next to me. Leading to me waking up in the middle of the night wondering where's my glasses, lol.

[Linked Image]
Re: Darn Glasses [Re: Bigbuck] #7859657
05/04/23 11:07 PM
05/04/23 11:07 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
I can see the tiniest of print or anything, but I can't see far away... so I got contacts to see far and now I have to wear readers or take out a contact to see up close. frown

Re: Darn Glasses [Re: warrior] #7859675
05/04/23 11:49 PM
05/04/23 11:49 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by warrior

No easy way to wear sunglasses as that means two pairs to keep up with.

Now my eyes need two different lenses for close and far.

I almost go that one figured out

I have had wiley X sunglasses for several years I think since since 2007
my last set were transitions lenses so the only issue was they didn't darken in the car , the windshield has a UV coating that keeps transitions from turning

my distance prescription didn't change that much so I am keeping those around as my backup and pistol shooting glasses for the indoor range they are Z87.2 safety glasses also

my new set of wiley X I got dark so that they were always dark and polarized

transitions with polarized are sort of a compromise on the polarized

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread