No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Cragar] #7853996
04/26/23 09:48 PM
04/26/23 09:48 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline OP
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline OP
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted by Cragar
Glad to hear you got it running JP.

Today's gasoline is crap. It breaks down very quickly than years ago. Anything 3 months old is suspect for issues. Anything 6 months old is highly likely. Year old gasoline is almost always going to cause a problem.

Adding a gasoline preservative beforehand like Startron or Stabil, will definitely help but not a 100% fix for poor gasoline. The current formulation of gasoline breaks down quickly.

Everybody , think about it like this , if you take say $5-$10 of gasoline out of a small engine with the potential loss of the cost of that gasoline , it is still way cheaper than fixing the machine. Plus , if you just put the suspected bad gasoline to the side in a spare container and test with fresh gas , you may be able to use the 'bad' gasoline if it passes muster.

Thanks! Yeah I read a lot about gas today. 20 years ago when I was a kid I would dig through the mess in the garage and get the lawn mower out. Always had gas in it from the year before and it would start. I clean carbs every $&@!@&$ Spring now.

Cold as ice!
Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: snowy] #7853997
04/26/23 09:50 PM
04/26/23 09:50 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline OP
trapper
trapper
J

MB
Originally Posted by snowy
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I got the Generator running!

I drained the old gas out and put fresh gas in. Started first pull!

For the record, in September it stopped running so I assumed it ran out of gas. Went to the gas station to fill it up and realized I had half tank still. Filled it up anyways and it never started again.
Let it sit till now and knew I needed to clean the carb. I think cleaning the carb fixed what ever made it stop working last year, but the old gas wouldn’t let it run.

I don’t know 100% for sure but that’s what I’m going with! Never had a machine not run off 7 month old gas. Thought a clean carb would be good enough. Lesson learned!

You don't use Sea Foam or a stabilizer in small engines???

I buy Sea Foam off and on. It’s so expensive now. But I’ll start using it more regular. Snowmobile gets Sea Foam every tank of gas. Generator will get it more often now for sure!

Cold as ice!
Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854005
04/26/23 10:03 PM
04/26/23 10:03 PM
MT
S
snowy Offline
trapper
snowy  Offline
trapper
S

MT
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
[quote=Jurassic Park]I got the Generator running!

I drained the old gas out and put fresh gas in. Started first pull!

For the record, in September it stopped running so I assumed it ran out of gas. Went to the gas station to fill it up and realized I had half tank still. Filled it up anyways and it never started again.
Let it sit till now and knew I needed to clean the carb. I think cleaning the carb fixed what ever made it stop working last year, but the old gas wouldn’t let it run.

I don’t know 100% for sure but that’s what I’m going with! Never had a machine not run off 7 month old gas. Thought a clean carb would be good enough. Lesson learned!

I buy Sea Foam off and on. It’s so expensive now. But I’ll start using it more regular. Snowmobile gets Sea Foam every tank of gas. Generator will get it more often now for sure!

Great idea and save a lot of frustration and time. I always run things dry if not using for several months. Most engines now have an off or shut off gas option then just let engine run till it dies. At least that carb is not sitting with fuel in it. I have 9 small gas engines to contend with, so I am very careful to keep them in great running order. From gens to pumps and everything in between at the ranch.

Glad you got it going nothing worse irritating when things don't run.

Give me a fish, I will eat for a day. Teach me to fish, I will eat for a lifetime
Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854030
04/26/23 10:39 PM
04/26/23 10:39 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
I got all kinds of small engine machines at least two of everything.
I never use any gas additives,and leave the old gas in them.
I start them all up every couple months in the off season except the lawnmowers,I dont start them in the winter,but my chainsaws generators,snowmachines 4 wheelers and snowblowers get started up every couple months when in storage.I fill the tank on everything when in storage.
Never had a problem starting any.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Boco] #7854046
04/26/23 11:03 PM
04/26/23 11:03 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline OP
trapper
trapper
J

MB

Great idea and save a lot of frustration and time. I always run things dry if not using for several months. Most engines now have an off or shut off gas option then just let engine run till it dies. At least that carb is not sitting with fuel in it. I have 9 small gas engines to contend with, so I am very careful to keep them in great running order. From gens to pumps and everything in between at the ranch.

Glad you got it going nothing worse irritating when things don't run.

Lol you got that right! Was not fun working in the high winds and cold rain today lol.

Originally Posted by Boco
I got all kinds of small engine machines at least two of everything.
I never use any gas additives,and leave the old gas in them.
I start them all up every couple months in the off season except the lawnmowers,I dont start them in the winter,but my chainsaws generators,snowmachines 4 wheelers and snowblowers get started up every couple months when in storage.I fill the tank on everything when in storage.
Never had a problem starting any.

Are you using premium gas? Lucky you!

Cold as ice!
Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854078
04/27/23 12:19 AM
04/27/23 12:19 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
No,I use the ethanol gas so they dont freeze up in winter.

Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854150
04/27/23 07:20 AM
04/27/23 07:20 AM
N.Y. Mid Hudson Valley
T
Tommyran Offline
trapper
Tommyran  Offline
trapper
T

N.Y. Mid Hudson Valley
The gas additives only work for about 5 months then the gas will start gelling. Taryl fixes all on Youtube did a several year experiment on nearly all additives. Check it out. I've been using regular Sta-Bil for decades and it works fine, no problem starting my mower or tractor in spring.

That piece you couldn't get out is the emulsion tube. It has holes all around it you have to make sure are all clear. 9 out of 10 times cleaning that jet will fix your problem though.

Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854153
04/27/23 07:27 AM
04/27/23 07:27 AM
Ontario
K
Kermit Offline
trapper
Kermit  Offline
trapper
K

Ontario
A gallon of sea foam is 60 dollars, regular price

Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854182
04/27/23 08:04 AM
04/27/23 08:04 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Sea foam is what I use. For my generater I turn the gas off and let it run till it dies. Usually sits for a long while between uses. So it gets the gas drained and replaced, oil changed, before i start it. Lawn mowers boat motors, gas used enough the sea foam prevents issues.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854227
04/27/23 09:02 AM
04/27/23 09:02 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
You should have seen the equipment we used on the railroad-lots of small machines-railsaws drills chainsaws,boltmachines,etc.
They were the roughest handled tools I ever seen,put whatever gas you had in them,water in gas all the time if no premix oil put 10-30 for mix,when hauling rails with the old motor cars,the rads would boil dry,go down to the ditch get a bucket of swampwater and fill up the rad,etc etc.
Everything started and ran every time unless totally crushed by a rail or something.
The old motor cars had a 5HP hand crank engine,with two flywheels,and a wide belt for a transmission,They would pull massive loads on the lorry-6-8 rails at a time,a couple of the older patrol cars had estimated over a million miles on them.
I found out long ago you dont need to baby most machinery,just keep it maintained,and USE IT.

Last edited by Boco; 04/27/23 09:03 AM.

Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854247
04/27/23 09:30 AM
04/27/23 09:30 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Lawn mower gas, boat motor gas, 4wheeler gas, anything that may sit for several months, along with sea foam in the gas, I buy ethanol free gas. Ethanol stores forever. Its corrosive though. It will eventually corrode most anything but glass. Vehicles sold today have gaskets fuel lines etc designed to last with ethanol gas. SOME boat motors etc do too now. I don't want to chance it though.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854275
04/27/23 10:18 AM
04/27/23 10:18 AM
Pillager, Minnesota
P
patfundine Offline
trapper
patfundine  Offline
trapper
P

Pillager, Minnesota
[Linked Image]

Re: Cleaning a carburetor ? [Re: Jurassic Park] #7854321
04/27/23 11:25 AM
04/27/23 11:25 AM
MINN
H
HILLTOP TRAPPER Offline
trapper
HILLTOP TRAPPER  Offline
trapper
H

MINN
best advise for gas in small engines(NON OXY) ethonal gas is crap.slingblade,lol, i love that movie

Last edited by HILLTOP TRAPPER; 04/27/23 11:26 AM.

U GOTTA DO WHAT U GOTTA DO CAUSE IT IS WHAT IT IS....AINT NOTHIN WRONG WITH QUIET
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread