No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Snow in roof vents? [Re: MJM] #7826810
03/22/23 09:15 AM
03/22/23 09:15 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND
If it is dripping it is too much. She only has only had a problem with it twice in ten years. So it takes a certain combination of wind and snow. Which I figure is the same for you Skogmann.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Snow in roof vents? [Re: MJM] #7826841
03/22/23 09:38 AM
03/22/23 09:38 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by MJM
I am not sure louvers would be the answer with the wind we get. Any louvered vents I have been around here, when it is blowing are opening and closing from the wind full time. You can hear them. I wonder about covering the screen with something. Something like this. I take it that is what Osky is talking about.
[Linked Image]

That looks like a roll of matrix used over a ridge vent and under ridge cap shingles.

Eh...wot?

Re: Snow in roof vents? [Re: MJM] #7826855
03/22/23 09:57 AM
03/22/23 09:57 AM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
Mark,
I have and prefer turbine vents, but you have the right idea with that roll pictured. They make roof vents already with that type material in it for just that reason. You may be able to convert her current vents.

Keep your boots dry
Re: Snow in roof vents? [Re: MJM] #7826861
03/22/23 10:08 AM
03/22/23 10:08 AM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND
Rally She has been talking to both the contractor that replace everything last time and the insurance company. Both of them she is friends with and they don't match what they say. Insurance guy says he put turbines on his house and ended up replacing them. He said the made so much noise they drove you nuts when it was storming. He also had one fly apart in a good wind. He said he would go up and spray them with dry lube and that would help a little while. The contractor says they are not the way to go. If a person could get turbines with sealed bearing, they may be a good answer. I think the Matrix as Lugnut calls it, is the answer. I do apricate all the replies.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Re: Snow in roof vents? [Re: MJM] #7826937
03/22/23 12:35 PM
03/22/23 12:35 PM
Hill City,Mn.
R
Rally Offline
trapper
Rally  Offline
trapper
R

Hill City,Mn.
I replace my turbines about every ten years. The nylon bearings wear out, and the ones with metal bearings do make noise after they get dry. I buy the same brand and just replace the tops, so don’t have to reseal and rarely re-level. Can’t hear mine at all unless next to them on the roof. Paint them to match roofing color.

Keep your boots dry
Re: Snow in roof vents? [Re: MJM] #7826952
03/22/23 01:02 PM
03/22/23 01:02 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
how hard is it to get in the attic ?

my brother had a similar situation in his pole barn it had open eves and the wind would blow the snow in up the wall under the eve and it would pile up on the north wall inside

it would get 2 feet deep in there if there was a lot of wind from the north

if it isn't too hard you might be able to close them by nailing or screwing some 2x4 pieces to the rafters and make a piece of plywood to slide in with a 2x4 screwed to it as a stop that would really cut down on the drifting in the attic to just be able to close them

if it is not easy to get up there and slide them in around Dec 1 and take them out around April leaving the ones that aren't an issue out so you get some ventilation

true you want your attic the +-5 degrees of outside ambient when measured at midnight but that is a lot more of an issue in the summer with the prairie heat

you wouldn't harm your roof any to have anything below 30 in your attic when it is 30 or lower outside and not have much much ventilation

it would certainly be the least expensive way to go , no change to the roof , very minimal labor and materials , just remember to remove them in the spring and put them in before the first big snow.

could even staple some tar paper up to make a better seal , just staple it above the opening so you hold it up slide in the gate and if some snow gets in under the vent between the vent and the gate it should be minimal

one other idea is you know it is going to come in , direct it back down to the eves so it can melt and run out
https://www.menards.com/main/buildi...7.htm?tid=1622408569775652069&ipos=6
this is valley tin , 20 inches wide 10 feet long screwed with some washers to the under side of the rafters it could drain any melting snow bac down to the eve were it could run out if vented

if the 10 foot valley tin was to hard to move into the attic you could do it with roll tin also

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Snow in roof vents? [Re: MJM] #7826954
03/22/23 01:10 PM
03/22/23 01:10 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
might even just be able to add some baffles so that it piles up only a couple inches before the snow fully plugs the vent and no more can come in , this could melt and only be a very little water you baffles could be bent tin open top boxes , that leave a inch or 2 gap top and bottom from the under side of the roof deck with a weep hole in the bottom that lets them drain into buckets hung below

air can turn right angles but it is a lot less likely to bring snow with it as it has to slow down to do so. once enough snow fills the pan it would plug it up

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Snow in roof vents? [Re: MJM] #7827090
03/22/23 05:35 PM
03/22/23 05:35 PM
ND
M
MJM Offline OP
trapper
MJM  Offline OP
trapper
M

ND
Rally, Thanks I will pass that on to her. Expense is not the issue. She has insurance that covers it. She is friends with the insurance agent and last time ( a year ago ) they got a new roof, new vents, old insulation out, new insulation in, new sheet rock ceiling and painted. They put the vents in he suggested, so he is kind of stuck paying to fix the problem. She just does not like the house trashed, even for new and replaced.

Last edited by MJM; 03/22/23 06:36 PM.

"Not Really, Not Really"
Mark J Monti
"MJM you're a jerk."
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread