No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Otter lure discovery [Re: beaverpeeler] #7818976
03/12/23 12:45 PM
03/12/23 12:45 PM
Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
Jtrapper Offline
trapper
Jtrapper  Offline
trapper

Alabama (Bama for short) 108 y...
ArkMike i think is a different person, not sure ol Mike Fischer even know's how to turn on a computer much less how to get on here, lol. He's an otter catching fool though, can learn alot from him on the subject.

Not my circus, not my clowns.
Re: Otter lure discovery [Re: beaverpeeler] #7819208
03/12/23 04:57 PM
03/12/23 04:57 PM
MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
T
Trapper7 Offline
trapper
Trapper7  Offline
trapper
T

MN, Land of 10,000 Lakes
Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
For otter I have always focused on toilets which are fairly easy for me to find on the rivers and lakes that I trap. If possible I prefer to set up entrances/pinch points on the toilets with conibears or foot holds, but sometimes it just isn't possible and I need something to get them to come to a spot. Well, with a small sample size I think I may have hit on something pretty good and figured I would share with y'all:

Well-used toilets, particularly during the rut will have fresh otter scat. Otter scat is attractive in and by itself, but I think I found a way to enhance it: I make a little pile of sand or dirt and then place the otter scat on top. Next I dribble some MB shellfish oil on the scat and place a foot hold about 10" in front slightly offset. In the last two days that I did that at one particular toilet I have caught two whomper males.

When I find a toilet with quite a bit of scat I can pick it up and put it in a plastic bag and carry it to the next spot. Like I say, small sample size but I think it has promise. I think this would work wherever otters are coming out of the water and see/smell the scat.

Otter are inquisitive animals. The visual should attract them, you'd think. Good idea!

Must be nice to eat ice cream as fast as you want and not have to worry about brain freeze.
Re: Otter lure discovery [Re: beaverpeeler] #7819337
03/12/23 08:09 PM
03/12/23 08:09 PM
Maine
A
andrews1958 Offline
trapper
andrews1958  Offline
trapper
A

Maine
Years ago my fur buyer had a pet otter . We had all kinds of scat and urine which we used to catch a lot of otter..

Re: Otter lure discovery [Re: beaverpeeler] #7819435
03/12/23 10:20 PM
03/12/23 10:20 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline OP
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline OP
trapper

Oregon
On rare occasions I have hip caught an otter and they're not able to void urine as they usually do when they expire. That urine on Q tips is also dynamite to get an otter moved over to a spot. The little piles of grass/leaves are usually urinated upon and they also work great.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Otter lure discovery [Re: beaverpeeler] #7820818
03/14/23 11:30 PM
03/14/23 11:30 PM
OR
M
Minz Offline
trapper
Minz  Offline
trapper
M

OR
I had to go back and read the regulations. I thought that my Bridger #5's had to be in the water but they only have to be on Drowners. That will change things a bit for my sets here. I also think that there is a spot that I can find some toilets in the reserve for when I end up with a random pick up and know that they are around but have no way of bringing them in.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread