No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Trapping laws [Re: warrior] #7776266
01/19/23 08:38 AM
01/19/23 08:38 AM
SW Gawga
S
songdog man Offline
trapper
songdog man  Offline
trapper
S

SW Gawga
Originally Posted by warrior
Beaver only snares.

We need the Collarum Device but anything with cable that is not a beaver snare is illegal and our trappers association will lynch you for talking about it.

Man they run snares on these plantations in the spring time like it's going out of style. Not in trapping season and it's like no one cares. I understand these plantations are gonna bend the rules but to me that's a little overboard. Why don't the trapping assn. want to talk about it?

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Leftlane] #7776272
01/19/23 08:48 AM
01/19/23 08:48 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho

Actually, there’s really good reason why. Trappers share the ground with all outdoor enthusiasts. Including bird/coyote/bobcat/coon hunters using dogs and people who merely walk their dog. No one want’s their dog caught in a lethal snare.[/quote]

Oh hogwash! Domestic dogs that are broke to the leash just sit down and wait for you to let them off. The only ones I have caught in snares do. Never even a catch circle. [/quote]

True, every hound I have had caught in one has, and I've just had to go release it. But, I'm not sure how they would react if they were running jumped and the rest of the pack went on barking every breath, I suspect you would have some fight there. Every one I've ever had caught was cold trailing, and I've been able to grasp the lock and back off the snare with no issues. Usually resetting it so the trapper didn't even realize it was disturbed. Still with the multiple collars hounds are usually wearing unless it is a Power Ram you have small chance of choking one out. But most houndmen who are not trappers don't believe that, and trappers who try and deter houndmen from hunting in areas where they are trapping by telling them they have snares all over don't help.

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776274
01/19/23 08:50 AM
01/19/23 08:50 AM
Northern KY
H
huntcook Offline
trapper
huntcook  Offline
trapper
H

Northern KY
In KY landowners are required to buy a landowner license to trap since fur is worthless I trap to reduce predators on my farms an area.

Government making sin legal does not make it right.
Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776307
01/19/23 09:42 AM
01/19/23 09:42 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
It’d be nice if submersion sets would get an extended check times instead of daily. That would make it much, much easier for people to use the tools that they need in situations that call for it.

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776310
01/19/23 09:43 AM
01/19/23 09:43 AM
el vado, nm
T
Tom Fisher Offline
trapper
Tom Fisher  Offline
trapper
T

el vado, nm
No Trapping on public land, except for religious reasons if you are native american--I was born in the United States so Iam as native as a person can be, and I pray a lot ! I miss the Cougar season we had on private land, I have a new dog that I am hopeful will work out, I pray a lot for her too!

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Calvin] #7776318
01/19/23 09:51 AM
01/19/23 09:51 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Calvin
No Non Resident Trapping.

Our fishing laws are just as dumb.

This for me also^^^

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776357
01/19/23 10:44 AM
01/19/23 10:44 AM
Pennsylvania
K
Keystonekiller Offline OP
trapper
Keystonekiller  Offline OP
trapper
K

Pennsylvania
I would guess it's to minimize accidental catches on otter ...

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776385
01/19/23 11:47 AM
01/19/23 11:47 AM
N.W. Pennsylvania, Venango cou...
PA.Trapper Offline
trapper
PA.Trapper  Offline
trapper

N.W. Pennsylvania, Venango cou...
Bring in our otter season earlier now that we have one in 1B. Every year since we got a season here EVERYTHING is froze solid before the short season starts here in the middle of February.
Loosen up the distance restrictions on Beaver trapping, trapping dam crossovers is an extremely hot spot to catch them and otter. alot of times in beaver(and otter) season those are the only places where there is any "open" water to speak of around here. Now I would love to do a little old school under ice beaver trapping but work and everyday life doesn't allow for the time to do it anymore.
Cable restraints while I like using them they could also loosen up a few of the restrictions on them also.
Also, while we are able to keep incidental catches if they are in season but would really love to be able to specifically snare some coons also.
Allow us more than 1 Fisher also.
Well that's enough for now I guess, been trapping 47 years now and for the most part I can live with MOST of our trapping laws, these are just some places I think they could improve on. Have a good one everybody

Life's too short, enjoy everyday like it was your last.
Re: Trapping laws [Re: OKforester] #7776390
01/19/23 11:55 AM
01/19/23 11:55 AM
West Virginia
R
Roofbolter Offline
trapper
Roofbolter  Offline
trapper
R

West Virginia
Originally Posted by OKforester
We can only pick one? I would have to say posting trap signs on public land.

You are right. It used to be that you had to put your name and address on the traps as well so the Tree Huggers knewwhere you lived until the 4 year old was burned alive when the Tree Hugger torched the house because he knew where he lived. NOW FINALLY WV just requires your WV ID Number on the trap.

Coal Mining makes Liberals Cry!!!
Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776392
01/19/23 11:59 AM
01/19/23 11:59 AM
PA
L
lumberjack391 Offline
trapper
lumberjack391  Offline
trapper
L

PA
Im still not sure how close I can set to a deer carcuss here in Pa?

Re: Trapping laws [Re: songdog man] #7776407
01/19/23 12:28 PM
01/19/23 12:28 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by songdog man
Originally Posted by warrior
Beaver only snares.

We need the Collarum Device but anything with cable that is not a beaver snare is illegal and our trappers association will lynch you for talking about it.

Man they run snares on these plantations in the spring time like it's going out of style. Not in trapping season and it's like no one cares. I understand these plantations are gonna bend the rules but to me that's a little overboard. Why don't the trapping assn. want to talk about it?

Because back when snares weren't regulated some coonhound got caught, or so I'm told, or for whatever reason the hound hunters got their panties in a wad and set out to do away with anything and everything they didn't like. Again I was told all this after the fact, but the houndhunters and GTA went to war and the GTA caved on snares as long as footholds were left alone. I got the distinct odor of fear whenever one of the old trappers spoke of this. And threats are and have been made by the GTA to trappers who lobby for snares or collarums.

And the plantations are a rule unto themselves. What goes on behind the fence the DNR lacks the political clout to touch.

I have it from sources that a raccoon just being a raccoon does not constitute a nuisance under our NWCO permit. Yet in practice our NWCO permit is carte blanche on how we determine whether an animal should be trapped.

Back to the snare thing though. Most of those who fought that fight are dead and gone now and those that still stand in the way were just kids when it went down and are just preserving things as they've known it to be. Times have changed. Hound hunting is not what it once was. The Winter Classic has moved on from Albany and the fox hounds are now in the pens. And if the pens ever get known to the Atlanta crowd they will be gone.

The future, I hate to say, is urban nuisance work and snares have a place in NWCO work.

[Linked Image]
Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776422
01/19/23 12:47 PM
01/19/23 12:47 PM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Houndhunters are one of the trappers worst enemy.They are responsible for a lot of trapping restrictions in Southern Ontario.
Nothing to do with safety of their animals,more to do with trying to monopolize the resource.(get rid of competition).
The worst ones are those who pretend to be trappers and work as moles inside trapping orgs to curtail trapping for the benefit of hunting.

Last edited by Boco; 01/19/23 12:50 PM.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776434
01/19/23 12:54 PM
01/19/23 12:54 PM
minnesota
G
gman Offline
trapper
gman  Offline
trapper
G

minnesota
What Boco said!

Re: Trapping laws [Re: OKforester] #7776449
01/19/23 01:16 PM
01/19/23 01:16 PM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon

This is the winner! Wow, how obtuse can they be?

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Trapping laws [Re: Roofbolter] #7776452
01/19/23 01:17 PM
01/19/23 01:17 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Roofbolter

You are right. It used to be that you had to put your name and address on the traps as well so the Tree Huggers knewwhere you lived until the 4 year old was burned alive when the Tree Hugger torched the house because he knew where he lived. NOW FINALLY WV just requires your WV ID Number on the trap.

Would you please give me more details about this? Any names, years, locations, etc that will let me find more to read about it? I’d like to read more and haven’t found any articles online.

Thank you very much

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776453
01/19/23 01:18 PM
01/19/23 01:18 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Snares only for beaver.

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776488
01/19/23 01:51 PM
01/19/23 01:51 PM
U.P. Michigan
Spade Offline
trapper
Spade  Offline
trapper

U.P. Michigan
Laws for cable restraint/snares suck in Michigan:

Can I use cable restraints for coyote and fox?
Yes, nonlethal cable restraints may be used from Jan. 1 - March 1 to take fox and
coyotes, provided:
• Cable restraints are not placed on publicly owned land or Commercial Forest
lands.
• All cable restraints in possession or carried afield have a metallic identification
tag affixed with the owner or user’s name and address or Michigan driver’s
license number or DNR sportcard number.
• As steel cable 1/16 inch or larger is used.
• The cable restraint loop does not exceed 15 inches in diameter.
• The top of the loop is not placed more than 24 inches above the ground. In
snow, 24 inches is measured from the compacted snow in a trapper’s footprint
established by the full body weight of the trapper.
• Cable restraints are equipped with a relaxing lock. A relaxing lock is defined
as a lock that allows the loop to loosen slightly to reduce the possibility of
strangulation. Cable restraints also must be equipped with a stop to prevent
the loop from closing to a diameter less than 4.25 inches.
• Cable restraints are equipped with a breakaway locking system with a breaking
point not greater than 285 pounds. The breakaway device must be attached to
the relaxing lock.
• Cable restraints are affixed to a stake or object sufficient to hold a fox or
coyote. It is unlawful to use any type of drag.
Winter Fox and Coyote Non-lethal Cable Restraints
2022 Fur Harvester Digest 33
• Cable restraints are equipped with two swivels, including one swivel at the
anchor point.
• Spring poles, counterbalanced weights, springs, or other similar devices are
not used to close the cable restraint.
• Cable restraints may be up to 60 inches in length, not including a cable anchor
extension. A cable anchor extension may be up to 36 inches in length.
• Cable restraints are not attached to a fence or set in a manner that would
allow an animal to become entangled in a fence.
• Cable restraints may be anchored to woody vegetation provided that the
stem is free of branches and stubs to a height of 5 feet above the ground or
compacted snow. Branches and stubs must be cut flush with the outer bark of
the stem.
• Cable restraints may not be set so that a restrained animal is suspended with
two or more feet off the ground

24 years Army Medical Corps

I only want to be known as:

A great husband, a good trapper, and a great steward of the land.
Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776521
01/19/23 02:34 PM
01/19/23 02:34 PM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
I agree with Boco this happened to me a 550 was swiped by a houndsman easy to tell I caught his dog so took trap , tag and all and I was the one with sole permission. I called the warden and said my concern is the tag because all the thief has to do is set it illegally and call you and a ticket for me that is why I don’t like tags. We don’t have wardens like Swamp Wolf who actually knows anything about trapping… Jon

Re: Trapping laws [Re: Keystonekiller] #7776553
01/19/23 03:25 PM
01/19/23 03:25 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
The trapping laws in Idaho for the most part benefit the trappers and Rusty Kramer, the president of the Idaho Trappers Association, has a good relationship with the Idaho Fish and Game. One law that was recently changed was to eliminate setting large body grip traps on dry land. Some trappers were against it, however, we needed this law for the survival of trapping here in Idaho. Dogs were being killed in these traps set on dry land.

Re: Trapping laws [Re: PA.Trapper] #7776576
01/19/23 03:38 PM
01/19/23 03:38 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline
trapper
woodchuck  Offline
trapper

PA
Originally Posted by PA.Trapper
Bring in our otter season earlier now that we have one in 1B. Every year since we got a season here EVERYTHING is froze solid before the short season starts here in the middle of February.

Just something for the WMU's that allow otter trapping:
BEAVER TRAPPING DURING OTTER SEASON
* Where beaver season overlaps with otter season by calendar date within WMU's 1A, 1B, 2F, 3C & 3D, it is unlawful for beaver trappers to set, tend or operate more than a combined total of 5 traps or snares, no more then two of which may be body-gripping traps.
So in these WMU's if you're only trapping beaver you are still limited to 5 traps. Asked a game warden and he first said if trapping beaver only than this didn't apply but then he returned call and said yes it does apply.
Don't see it now but there had been something about 5 days after the otter season you were still limited to 5 for something like meeting harvest #'s???

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread