No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Fruit Tree Grafting #7772401
01/14/23 11:35 PM
01/14/23 11:35 PM
SE Ohio
C
ChadC Offline OP
trapper
ChadC  Offline OP
trapper
C

SE Ohio
I知 wanting to graft a bunch of pinky sized branches onto my existing, mature apple trees.

I have no experience grafting. I知 looking for advice on what to buy supply wise. Do I need the wax, tape, both?

Do the grafting tools that cut a matching male/female end work? Are they recommended?

Any advice or resources appreciated. Thanks

NTA.......OSTA.......NRA
Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: ChadC] #7772407
01/14/23 11:45 PM
01/14/23 11:45 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Never done it but understand the concept so I won't offer advice but will be following. I've been told that it's not particularly difficult.
My understanding is the two keys are properly matching cambium to cambium layer and protecting the union from drying out while it heals. The specific tools and methods are what I lack knowledge of.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: ChadC] #7772413
01/14/23 11:54 PM
01/14/23 11:54 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
Originally Posted by ChadC
I知 wanting to graft a bunch of pinky sized branches onto my existing, mature apple trees.

Do I need the wax, tape, both?
Wax keeps the bugs out, tape keeps the cambium layers in contact. Both would be recommended, but, nether is 100% necessary.

Originally Posted by ChadC
Do the grafting tools that cut a matching male/female end work? Are they recommended?
I don't know what exactly that there fancy sounding tool is, but, I am sure you can get along without it.
[Linked Image]That photo looks like it is just a stump, but, look to the lower right. You will see a necessary branch to draw sap.

My grafting tool box is pretty much just a sturdy, stiff, short blade to separate the bark.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: T-Rex] #7772440
01/15/23 12:51 AM
01/15/23 12:51 AM
SE Ohio
C
ChadC Offline OP
trapper
ChadC  Offline OP
trapper
C

SE Ohio
That痴 helpful T-Rex, thanks. That picture really has me thinking.

Last edited by ChadC; 01/15/23 12:51 AM.

NTA.......OSTA.......NRA
Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: ChadC] #7772446
01/15/23 12:55 AM
01/15/23 12:55 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
I've only done it once, with a mediocre success rate. I just used a knife to cut the branches, and black electrical tape to bind them.

I'll be following the post too.

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: ChadC] #7772454
01/15/23 01:16 AM
01/15/23 01:16 AM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
I tried last year on a pear tree. 100% fail rate. Guess I'll watch some more youtube videos and try again this year.

Poor people have poor ways.
Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: ChadC] #7772506
01/15/23 05:15 AM
01/15/23 05:15 AM
Oregon
beaverpeeler Offline
trapper
beaverpeeler  Offline
trapper

Oregon
I've done quite a bit of grafting of different styles. Here is the main thing: Take your scions (the wood you wish to graft on to your host) during the month of January or early February while still completely dormant. Hold on to them in a refrigerator with some moistened towels to keep them from drying out. Wait until your early spring weather starts to warm up before attempting any grafts. Callusing of the graft unions requires temperatures in the mid to upper 70's. Some folks will tape a little baggy around the graft union to create a miniature greenhouse to get the temps up. (Probably more important with hard to graft species like nut trees).

You can use electrical tape..but I prefer that green trellising tape or even strips of clear plastic that I cut from zip-loc baggies. You will want to wrap it tightly around the graft union so that solid contact is made with the cambium layers of your host stock and scion. After 3-5weeks and evidence of callusing you will need to cut the tape so that so that it loosens up enough to allow for expansion. If you don't it will girdle the union and fail. If you have two buds on your scion rub the inferior one out so that it doesn't create too much demand on the flow of sap to scion.

Finally the actual cuts made on the scion to fit into the host stock are important in that you need to line up that thin white cambium layer on both scion and host. This will require some skill with a sharp knife...but honestly any fool can do it. I'm as big a fool as any and get 90% or better success.

Got questions...I'm here just reach out.

My fear of moving stairs is escalating!
Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: ChadC] #7772579
01/15/23 08:52 AM
01/15/23 08:52 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
thanks beaverpeeler, good read,

Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: ChadC] #7772590
01/15/23 09:13 AM
01/15/23 09:13 AM
Central Texas - Erath- Real Co...
Ol' Smoke Offline
trapper
Ol' Smoke  Offline
trapper

Central Texas - Erath- Real Co...
I still have my 2 bladed "budding knife" from budding pecan trees when I was younger.
The brand name is Tina, for sale on internet.

---- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE----Bye, Bye Miss American Pie----
Re: Fruit Tree Grafting [Re: ChadC] #7773330
01/15/23 10:39 PM
01/15/23 10:39 PM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
Beaver Peeler has some good information. I own and operate a fruit tree nursery business with my family we do thousands of grafts a year. If you are grafting to an existing tree timing is important. The best success will be when the buds on the tree you are grafting to are just showing a touch of green. That is a good indication that sap is flowing, which is what you want. Apples and pear trees will begin forming that callus tissue at temperatures as low as 50 degrees we callus our benchgrafts at 60- 65 degrees before we plant out. However, bud development on the existing tree is a better indicator if you are grafting to an existing tree. You can typically leave the binding (multiple materials to choose from) on until mid summer. Then yes girdling can become an issue. Bark grafting into a cut stump or limb stub is pretty easy and as a high success rate if your timing is good and scions have been stored properly. Should be able to find a YouTube video on that fairly easy. After you cut the binding you need to provide support to the the active growing graft shoot. A high wind will break that shoot out especially for the 1st year or 2. A piece of wood lathe or another straight branch taped to the tree will work for the support. You can reach out to us directly at our website if you more questions. turkeycreektrees.com

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread