Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Newbie questions #7769149
01/11/23 06:11 PM
01/11/23 06:11 PM
Tennessee
S
Square Offline OP
trapper
Square  Offline OP
trapper
S

Tennessee
I’m a first year trapper. I’ve never followed another trapper and don’t know any trappersLearned what little I know from youtube. I’m just trapping to control predators to help my fawns and turkey poults survive. My property is a couple of hours where From where I live. I go up a couple of times a month for 4-5 days. I have been making 100% dirt hole sets. I set and bait the traps when I get there, trip them when I leave but leave the traps in place. I have traps set along a road in a cutover where roads intersect or firelanes intersect with the road. Others are set along a logging road going from hardwoods into a pine plantation . A fire lane runs the edge of the pines. Another set is where logging roads intersect at the edge of a planted food plot. A couple of questions.
1. I’ve caught 3 yotes and a bobcat in the cutover. 1 at the foodplot. 1 at the pine/hardwood plus I lost 2 traps there before I learned to set Berkshire anchors properly and quick links need to be more than finger tight. How many dry trips before I move the sets? Should I pull the traps when I leave?
2. You talk about 2-3 traps at a location. I have 4 traps on the road in the cutover about 70 to 100 yards apart. Should I be setting multiple traps at each set or is the road considered s location?
3. Something has been pulling the sheeps wool out of the dirt hole without tripping the trap. Is it a cat? Fox? What are strategies to catch the critter?
4. Does the rock have to be white for the rock set with scat?

I appreciate any advice. I think I’m enjoying the trapping as much as the deer hunting.

Re: Newbie questions [Re: Square] #7769306
01/11/23 09:27 PM
01/11/23 09:27 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Mice will pull your wool out, other than that, just keep doing what you do...make sure your anchor is solid (as you stated you seem to have figured that out)!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Newbie questions [Re: Square] #7769520
01/12/23 02:09 AM
01/12/23 02:09 AM
michigan
C
coyote 1 Offline
trapper
coyote 1  Offline
trapper
C

michigan
Coon are good at pulling wool/stealing bait from coyote sets. Sometimes I can't see how they don't get caught but it happenes.

United we stand,divided we fall.
Re: Newbie questions [Re: Square] #7769774
01/12/23 12:18 PM
01/12/23 12:18 PM
Burton, Michigan
M
Mousey Trapper Offline
trapper
Mousey Trapper  Offline
trapper
M

Burton, Michigan