No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Frozen Ground [Re: AJE] #7766754
01/09/23 04:03 AM
01/09/23 04:03 AM
Eastern Shore of Maryland
HobbieTrapper Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"
HobbieTrapper  Offline
"Chippendale Trapper"

Eastern Shore of Maryland
Originally Posted by AJE
Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Just a couple ideas because I have no experience with what you are dealing with.

Dump a couple piles of salt where you want to make your sets. Go back the following day, scoop the salt and dirt out and put in dirt you can work with.

Get 3 rocks the size of your sets. Use your truck heater to heat them up on the way to your sets. Lay them on the ground for a few minutes while you get your gear ready. Repeat.

The rock heater idea sounds like a cool idea. I've never thought of that.

I don't like the salt idea- it's hard on traps and could attract deer.

I used “salt” incorrectly here, I should have referenced “ice melt”. I use the noted below to freeze proof my sets. It works pretty good and have zero trouble with deer.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by HobbieTrapper; 01/09/23 04:03 AM.

-Goofy-
Re: Frozen Ground [Re: ranger1] #7767708
01/10/23 02:14 AM
01/10/23 02:14 AM
NE Montana
ranger1 Offline OP
trapper
ranger1  Offline OP
trapper

NE Montana
Welded a cold chisel to the back of my Sodbuster and put the nut back on my driver. Will see how things go when I set more this weekend. I tried out the chisel on the back of the hammer in my driveway and it worked way better than the stock wide spade that it came with.

I have plenty of snares out, but I'm a foot hold trapper. I just enjoy it more. Snares are pretty specific, whereas my traps take whatever predator comes along. As for hay sets I've never caught a cat or coyote in one. They're deadly on skunks and other junk critters, but they don't seem to work well here.

Re: Frozen Ground [Re: HobbieTrapper] #7767711
01/10/23 02:22 AM
01/10/23 02:22 AM
NE Montana
ranger1 Offline OP
trapper
ranger1  Offline OP
trapper

NE Montana
Hobbie Trapper - Appreciate the ideas. That rock would have to be near molten to thaw this frozen gumbo. It's some pretty miserable stuff.

Re: Frozen Ground [Re: ranger1] #7767756
01/10/23 07:16 AM
01/10/23 07:16 AM
Wy
G
Giant Sage Online content
trapper
Giant Sage  Online Content
trapper
G

Wy
I've used a Pulaski for frozen ground beds, keep it sharp and a few wacks and you've got a bed. Probably a little oversized but it's quick.

Re: Frozen Ground [Re: ranger1] #7767760
01/10/23 07:27 AM
01/10/23 07:27 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Originally Posted by ranger1
Welded a cold chisel to the back of my Sodbuster and put the nut back on my driver. Will see how things go when I set more this weekend. I tried out the chisel on the back of the hammer in my driveway and it worked way better than the stock wide spade that it came with.

I have plenty of snares out, but I'm a foot hold trapper. I just enjoy it more. Snares are pretty specific, whereas my traps take whatever predator comes along. As for hay sets I've never caught a cat or coyote in one. They're deadly on skunks and other junk critters, but they don't seem to work well here.

I agree with you about snares, I'm the same, especially with our cable restraint regulations. Our "no entanglement" rule really limits where they can be set.

Eh...wot?

Re: Frozen Ground [Re: Lugnut] #7771518
01/14/23 01:37 AM
01/14/23 01:37 AM
WI - Wisconsin
A
AJE Offline
trapper
AJE  Offline
trapper
A

WI - Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Lugnut

I agree with you about snares, I'm the same, especially with our cable restraint regulations. Our "no entanglement" rule really limits where they can be set.
It can take a while to set them because any entanglement, if present, must be removed

Last edited by AJE; 01/14/23 01:38 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread