No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765059
01/07/23 06:32 AM
01/07/23 06:32 AM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Online content
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Online Content
Don't call me Mister, Mister

Central Pennsylvania
I was at a trapping convention and was checking a tunnel trap that was on a vendors table. When I picked it up and looked thru it, I noticed the pan was not level so I reached in to adjust the pan. Little did I know it was set and when I touched the pan it fired and caught my little finger at the nail. It bled like crazy and those around me thought I had to be in great pain. Actually for some reason it didn't hurt. This happened about 20 years ago and I still get kidded about it when I am at a convention. I often wondered why the vendor had it in the set position.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765104
01/07/23 08:17 AM
01/07/23 08:17 AM
Illinois
D
DRF Offline
trapper
DRF  Offline
trapper
D

Illinois
Setting all my 220 springs before season on my work bench with setting tongs ended up with 10 stitches between the eyes. Not sure how it happened but think I didn’t have one of the hooks in spring eye good and it got away from me.

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765109
01/07/23 08:25 AM
01/07/23 08:25 AM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
As schoolboy trappers my brother and I would ride our bikes as close to our sets as we could get. We'd check the line early, before the sun came up. One morning we caught our first skunk. I tell my brother to shine the flashlight in it's eyes while I sneak in and clobber it. As I'm poised for the strike something rustles in the leaves near my brother and he whips the flashlight beam towards it giving the skunk a clear view of what I was about to do. We didn't have to go to school that day or the next.

A few days later I'm riding home with that same skunk hanging from my handlebars by it's back legs. I'm coming down the big hill by Egan's farm at a good clip and that skunk swung into my front wheel and got all tangled up. I went over the handlebars and picked up a good case of road rash to go along with the faint skunk stink still clinging to me from days before.

To this day skunk is one of my favorite smells.

Eh...wot?

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765112
01/07/23 08:28 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I started in 1974 and now I can't stop

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765114
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Last year I tossed a drowning weight (concrete block) on a too short drowning cable into a deep creek. Instead of just letting go when the block hit the end of the cable I hung on and got an icy bath for my trouble.

Eh...wot?

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765122
01/07/23 08:41 AM
01/07/23 08:41 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
Gosh, I could write a book on my stupidity.

Drags on foot footholds for coon in a dry creek bed, one of my dumbest experiments. They can climb a cottonwood pretty high with that rig.

Concrete block drag for coon, another dumb one I thought would work. Heavy to lug into a location. A Big boar got it up a low bank and out onto flat picked beam field for all the world to see as they drove by. I stake all my coon sets now.

Had a lot of “dead” coon come back to life in back of the truck between stops. Always a good wake up when you reach for something in the back and one grabs you back.

Making coyote sets without thinking about how visible the target is after a catch, what’s it look like from the nearby road. I Always set over a rise, behind some cover, or so far back it’s not readily visible from the road. Get on my hands and knees and can I see the road? That’s one of my yardsticks for choosing set locations. Made a couple sets and catches early on in my ventures that after the catch were highly visible and ended up absolutely shot up to pieces. Around here you have to hide every coyote catch from every truck driving the roads. Private property is no exception.

I’ve shot a jillion skunks in foot traps, and tried every recommended shot placement and even low speed sub sonic rounds. They all spray 100% of the time and seems like the wind will shift to my direction every time. I quit listening to the advice on best methods years ago and have learned to just deal with it.

Trusting thickness of ice on creeks. Always do a sound check ahead of you with a spud. Most inconsistent ice I’ve ever found in winter around here.

Trusting someone else’s waxed dirt ratios. I know mine works here, and I’ve bought a lot of waxed dirt from others that wasn’t sufficient ratio.

Walking a half mile into an awesome location, seeing I have a double on coyotes all yipping and bouncing around, then walking all the way back to the truck to get the clip full of .22 shells I forgot to bring with me and left them in the center console.

Forgetting to bring the conibear setting tongs hat I left back at the truck.

Not marking sets before a snow storm. Amazing how a long fence line can become fairly featureless after a fresh snow. Now I tie a bread twist tie on the fence or nearby weed, or use marking plastic tape by my nearby sets.

Not calling ahead to make sure my buyer is there and open before I make the drive with a bunch of fur.

Locking my keys in the truck.

Getting stuck.

Not paying attention to weather reports.

Thinking I can just drive across that ditch if I go slow and at an angle.

Was spotlighting coon with a friend one night and we shined our light right ahead through the trees at what we thought was reflective bridge stripes on nearby road below us. It wasn’t a bridge, it was the side of a state patrol car parked along the road near the bridge running radar…on a gravel road of all places. I must have put the beam right in his eyes down through his windshield. We were legal, hand held light not attached to a vehicle, guns not loaded, and walking in woods back to the truck, but still had some explaining to do.

Thinking an old RWS snub nose .22 revolver would be a good trapline gun. Most inaccurate gun ever, couldn’t even hit target at a couple feet away. More accurate if you throw it than shoot it. Wasted my dollars, ammo, and time.

Last edited by jabNE; 01/07/23 09:41 AM.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765130
01/07/23 08:53 AM
01/07/23 08:53 AM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
Getting started! LOL laugh

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765153
01/07/23 09:29 AM
01/07/23 09:29 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
Man I'm gonna have to think about this for a little while. It goes from catching a mule and a donkey to falling out of my f250 trying to pick up a coon in the road. Oh yah there was parking my 4 wheeler upside down so the seat didn't get wet. Then there was that day I chased the ghost squirrel through a field edge and shot at it 13 times. Oh yah with a 22 that was dead on you talk about one tired puppy I had a lot of clothes on and big rubber boots boots. Something else I don't recommend is loading your 4 wheeler on a tilt trailer and leaving your manual truck in neutral. A guy did this in his driveway in front of a fire hydrant when that trailer go's flop it must push the truck forward or something. Spending hours upon hours looking for a coyote on a drag that your new trap line dog is trying to show you which way it went. Of course you don't listen to the pup because you have a much better nose. Sorry zippy (RIP). Back to the falling out of the f250 trying to pick a raccoon out of the road you know a stick shift will go a good way in 3rd gear before it stops. Another thing I remember about that day was the sky was blue. Anyway I'm gonna think on this a bit today while I'm doing something stupid on the line and remember just because a cat passes out don't mean it's dead.

Last edited by bandy; 01/07/23 09:30 AM.

No matter where you go there you are.
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765209
01/07/23 11:02 AM
01/07/23 11:02 AM
Wisconsin
B
Bear Tracker Offline
trapper
Bear Tracker  Offline
trapper
B

Wisconsin
I was injecting a skunk in a live trap couple years ago. First round didn't work, second round I'm filling the syringe and stick the needle in my hand after it has been in a skunk, Had to take the head off send it to Madison for rabies testing, was sweating a couple days til results came back.

Had a rat set on s deep cut bank, traps gone no sign, so I lay down and look under the bank head hanging over when a very angry otter comes lunging out at me face. Chane and wire were just short enough.

Had an owl swoop down at me as I was removing a muskrat from a feedbed set once, that was freaky, just missed my head.

First beaver job in a state park, I step down to grab the drowning wire to a number four double spring. Before I know it a large female is swimming around my legs tangling me in heavy wire and a #4 dbl spring. Good thing it was shallow when the whole ended.

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765264
01/07/23 12:12 PM
01/07/23 12:12 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
Have not done much dumb stuff trapping, yet

Dumbest thing was using swingset/dog/ double loop chain as drag chain on coyote trap. I will never know but I am 99% sure I caught the black coyote I had been seeing. Chain was wrapped around a cedar sapling a little bigger than my thumb and twisted in half. I spent 3 afternoons looking for any sign of drag marks, sound of a jingling chain, etc before I happened to find the drag and half the chain. I never saw that black coyote again

I have done plenty of other dumb stuff though

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765266
01/07/23 12:15 PM
01/07/23 12:15 PM
Armpit, ak
D
Dirt Offline
trapper
Dirt  Offline
trapper
D

Armpit, ak
I forgot to put gas in the the sno-go before I left. That was an 11 mile walk home. frown

Who is John Galt?
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765286
01/07/23 12:57 PM
01/07/23 12:57 PM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
When muskrat trapping in the winter, I came across a feeder hut that had a hole in it and fresh mink tracks all around it. I decided to set a trap in it and reached in with my bare hand to make a spot for the trap. The mink was still in there and latched onto my index finger and tore the heck out of it. I had to wrap my finger with my handkerchief to quell the bleeding. I set the hut anyway and never did get that mink. I am a bit more cautious about reaching into a rat house now and do it with choppers when I do.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765298
01/07/23 01:16 PM
01/07/23 01:16 PM
Atlin, British Columbia Canada
C
cat catcher Offline
trapper
cat catcher  Offline
trapper
C

Atlin, British Columbia Canada
Took the wife!

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765305
01/07/23 01:42 PM
01/07/23 01:42 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
grin

Eh...wot?

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765315
01/07/23 02:12 PM
01/07/23 02:12 PM
rogers city mi.
J
jeff karsten Offline
trapper
jeff karsten  Offline
trapper
J

rogers city mi.
chopped a small hole in the ice so i could reach down and check a 330 groped around till i realized those thin stiff sticks were the trigger wires
Got permission on a neighboring farm the wife shook her finger at me and said i better not catch one of her cats Sure enough first catch was a housecat Snarling spitting scratching bugger i looked across the field at the house and could feel her eyes boring into me So I managed to release it Sucker ran up a fencepost and jumped at my face the battle that ensued would have made Savell proud As i drove out the Ol Gal was waiting and she thoroughly dressed me down for NOT killing that wild cat wasn't hers and walked away laughing

olden tyred
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765319
01/07/23 02:14 PM
01/07/23 02:14 PM
Pa.
B
Bigbrownie Offline
trapper
Bigbrownie  Offline
trapper
B

Pa.
A couple years ago, I had a beaver drag out the sack of rocks, and head up under the bank. It’s tail was sticking out, and the 1/8” cable was tangled badly on roots and around its back leg.

[Linked Image]

I didn’t want to shoot it in the butt with my pistol, so I thought I would try to pull it out from the bank. The cable was wound up too tight, so I tried to unwrap it. That didn’t work, so I decided to take the trap off its back foot, unwrap the cable, pull it out and shoot it in the head when I got it out. It had a death grip in hole, so I got in the creek behind it an started tugging with one hand, pistol in the other. Suddenly, it left loose, I fell backwards into waist high water, and the beaver landed on my chest. Pistol was gone, and then the beaver. I was totally soaked, so I left the gun in the creek, and headed to the truck.

The next day, I came back with a long pole with a gaff hook attached, was able to snatch hold of the pistol. I went to check my traps, had that same beaver drowned in a trap nearby. It’s back leg had welts on it from the 1/8” cable being wrapped up on it.

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765327
01/07/23 02:24 PM
01/07/23 02:24 PM
100 Mile House, BC Can
bctomcat Offline
trapper
bctomcat  Offline
trapper

100 Mile House, BC Can
Once setting beaver traps on my farm while slightly inebriated, like Lugnut, I also threw the drowning weight and went with it for a very cold bath.

The only constant in trapping is change so keep learning.

Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: bctomcat] #7765335
01/07/23 02:40 PM
01/07/23 02:40 PM
West Central Iowa
4 Fur Offline
trapper
4 Fur  Offline
trapper

West Central Iowa
Took this picture ...

[Linked Image]

...right before sayin, "Let me get a little closer for a better one."

[Linked Image]

I'll take the top 100 dumbest things I've done to the grave with me.

Life Member NTA, FHA and Iowa Trappers Association
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765353
01/07/23 02:58 PM
01/07/23 02:58 PM
Coldspring Texas
Savell Offline
"Wilbur"
Savell  Offline
"Wilbur"

Coldspring Texas
... looks like a clean puncture from a claw? ... don’t put your fingers anywhere you wouldn’t put your pecker is a good rule as far as general safety goes

Insert profound nonsense here
Re: Dumbest thing you ever did trapping? [Re: Steel Jaw] #7765356
01/07/23 02:59 PM
01/07/23 02:59 PM
Fingerlakes New York
robert.d12 Offline
trapper
robert.d12  Offline
trapper

Fingerlakes New York
Packing the dirt down on on top of a finished set.

Once had something kill and take the head off a rabbit in our yard in the middle of the night. I heard it happen and found the body stashed in the bushes the next day. I set set a trap right in front of it and figured I’d have a fox or something the next day. Well that something was a big ole angry great horned owl. I never want to release another one of those.

The beauty of the second amendment is it wont be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread