No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750168
12/21/22 08:00 PM
12/21/22 08:00 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
America was also built on horses and mules and manual labor. Not anymore.

Who wants to go back to those days?

Last edited by charles; 12/21/22 08:02 PM.
Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750170
12/21/22 08:02 PM
12/21/22 08:02 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
Nations rise & fall based on their ability to provide energy.

Energy shortages lead to blackouts, rationing, & riots.

1 BILLION people across the world are at risk of power blackouts

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750203
12/21/22 08:44 PM
12/21/22 08:44 PM
Michigan
M
Michigander Offline
trapper
Michigander  Offline
trapper
M

Michigan
Nuclear is the answer.

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: spjones] #7750229
12/21/22 09:03 PM
12/21/22 09:03 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by white17
Solar panels don't work very well under four feet of snow.

Today I have 4 hours , 44 minutes of daylight

Yup, see "Niche Situations". Unfortunately there are some situations that just wont always work for solar panels the way that it does in more moderate climates.

And it's a big no on oil supply for anything more than 100 years. Permian Basin has 50B barrels of recoverable oil, the US consumes like 7B barrels of crude oil annually. The Permian Basin would get drained completely in less than 8 years if we used only that. If we use the current 40% of oil production for the USA as how much we would use from the Basin, that would be 2.72B barrels of crude oil annually and the Permian Basin would run dry of crude oil in less then 19 years.

Imported Oil, Imported Coal, Imported Natural Gas, Solar and Nuclear are the way forward. That means more refineries need to open for both oil and coal. Let somebody else destroy their country instead of us, no need to just mortgage our future away because of our inability to think in terms of 100, 250, 500 and 1000 year chunks.

Originally Posted by spjones
Nations rise & fall based on their ability to provide energy.

Energy shortages lead to blackouts, rationing, & riots.

1 BILLION people across the world are at risk of power blackouts

No man, they don't. They literally don't at all, and unfortunately this is a mindset of the Western World. There are lots of countries that don't even have power 24/7, and might only have it for 4 hours a day. Some not at all and they get on just fine like we all did for tens of thousands of years prior. The world will not end, life will go on, yes those who are not prone to survival will die. We all will die at some point, so it is what it is.

Do you know what we did when we didn't have power for 30+ days in 105 degree heat with 90% humidity after Hurricane Laura? We survived, we drank water, we ate food. We basked in the joy of being able to wake up another day and enjoy this great life that we have. The world didn't end, we were fine, we spent a lot more time with our neighbors sharing stories about other time of no power. I think more people died from improper generator use than they did of any lack of power related event. It was a very nice time in that sense and it did feel a bit like going back to a better time.

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750244
12/21/22 09:22 PM
12/21/22 09:22 PM
alberta
S
spjones Offline
trapper
spjones  Offline
trapper
S

alberta
Examples of democratic stable countries, with unreliable power/energy are??

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750395
12/21/22 10:46 PM
12/21/22 10:46 PM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Voting has consequences! SOLAR and WIND are junk!!!!! If there are any coal miners on this site, I wish you well. You miners are the backbone of American power. Coal, Natural Gas, Nuclear, is the reason your AC works! And Hydro, to a certain extent.

-------------------------------------
DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750446
12/22/22 12:07 AM
12/22/22 12:07 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
Al Gore invented the internet global warming

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Leftlane] #7750451
12/22/22 12:32 AM
12/22/22 12:32 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Al Gore invented the internet global warming

Climate Change will go down as one of the biggest scams in history. The earths climate has been changing for over 10,000 years.

DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750458
12/22/22 01:20 AM
12/22/22 01:20 AM
Moved to Fbks, Ak.
M
martentrapper Offline
trapper
martentrapper  Offline
trapper
M

Moved to Fbks, Ak.
I think MattLA is about the smartest guy here. He isn't even 30 years old yet I think!

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750462
12/22/22 01:49 AM
12/22/22 01:49 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Illinois is one giant coal field

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750467
12/22/22 01:56 AM
12/22/22 01:56 AM
West Virginia
R
Roofbolter Offline
trapper
Roofbolter  Offline
trapper
R

West Virginia
I go by Roof Bolter because that and Blasting in WV is what I did most of my life in an underground WV Coal Mine. I have worked in High Top with 14 plus foot ceilings and in Low Coal in 3 foot ceilings. Most of the leftist morons do not understand how much more efficient Coal and Natural gas is as well as why we mine!! I do not want to try to support a family on McDonalds wages and worked hard for my 30.00 to 58.00 dollars an hour. They also never understand the Comradeship that we build amongst our fellow Miners. WHY is it OK for China to burn Coal in all of their Power Plants yet they want us to stop!! These Leftist Demonrats are mentally challenged and Joe Mansion is as well!!! I no longer am allowed back underground but do give training classes. One too many Blasts broke the Plaque loose in my body and it built up in my heart. I never knew what hit me. I was walking from the elevator to the Bath House one morning after Blasting about 350 feet one night and collapsed. I woke up in Morgantown WV University Hospital waiting for my wife to get there. I remember my Best friend David and Debbie bringing her in then waking up 2 weeks later. They sat with her the whole time. He is a fellow Miner and a great man. I had two pig valves put in and had two strokes while on the table. Then she took me to Florida so her Family could help her get me to Physical therapy. 3 years and I learned to walk and talk again. I do have issues with a lot of my memory but I am finally back in WV . This is the first year I was able to Deer Hunt and Trapping on our Farm in Clay County WV. This Season I killed a huge 9 point and a spike that had 14 inch long spikes that curved around but not a single fork. I still,love Coal Mining but they will not certify me to drop back underground which my wife very much likes that idea. Instead I give classes to get men certified in Shot Blasting which is nothing more than math and the training to use different types of explosives. Now I am back and going to enjoy the outdoors. I even our farm that borders on Thousands of acres of State Public land to hunt and trap on and Ponds that are too far to walk back into from the state side but close to my property and I trap and Gig them as well!! Coal right now is BEGGING for Miners but they want experienced miners called Black Hats not beginner Red Hats. I think that is a BIG Mistake!!! Get the young ones in and train them the way you want them. Us older miners are about gone.

Coal Mining makes Liberals Cry!!!
Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Roofbolter] #7750470
12/22/22 02:04 AM
12/22/22 02:04 AM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Roofbolter
I go by Roof Bolter because that and Blasting in WV is what I did most of my life in an underground WV Coal Mine. I have worked in High Top with 14 plus foot ceilings and in Low Coal in 3 foot ceilings. Most of the leftist morons do not understand how much more efficient Coal and Natural gas is as well as why we mine!! I do not want to try to support a family on McDonalds wages and worked hard for my 30.00 to 58.00 dollars an hour. They also never understand the Comradeship that we build amongst our fellow Miners. WHY is it OK for China to burn Coal in all of their Power Plants yet they want us to stop!! These Leftist Demonrats are mentally challenged and Joe Mansion is as well!!! I no longer am allowed back underground but do give training classes. One too many Blasts broke the Plaque loose in my body and it built up in my heart. I never knew what hit me. I was walking from the elevator to the Bath House one morning after Blasting about 350 feet one night and collapsed. I woke up in Morgantown WV University Hospital waiting for my wife to get there. I remember my Best friend David and Debbie bringing her in then waking up 2 weeks later. They sat with her the whole time. He is a fellow Miner and a great man. I had two pig valves put in and had two strokes while on the table. Then she took me to Florida so her Family could help her get me to Physical therapy. 3 years and I learned to walk and talk again. I do have issues with a lot of my memory but I am finally back in WV . This is the first year I was able to Deer Hunt and Trapping on our Farm in Clay County WV. This Season I killed a huge 9 point and a spike that had 14 inch long spikes that curved around but not a single fork. I still,love Coal Mining but they will not certify me to drop back underground which my wife very much likes that idea. Instead I give classes to get men certified in Shot Blasting which is nothing more than math and the training to use different types of explosives. Now I am back and going to enjoy the outdoors. I even our farm that borders on Thousands of acres of State Public land to hunt and trap on and Ponds that are too far to walk back into from the state side but close to my property and I trap and Gig them as well!! Coal right now is BEGGING for Miners but they want experienced miners called Black Hats not beginner Red Hats. I think that is a BIG Mistake!!! Get the young ones in and train them the way you want them. Us older miners are about gone.

Your story should be plenty enough reason for no American to ever want to mine coal, glad you can still function enough to trap. I do understand your point though and agree that if there is a job the government tries to "place" you in that it should be commensurate with what you earned mining coal. I hope we don't stop burning coal, but we should import it from other countries.

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: MattLA] #7750475
12/22/22 02:59 AM
12/22/22 02:59 AM
N. Carolina
S
Scout1 Offline
trapper
Scout1  Offline
trapper
S

N. Carolina

Originally Posted by MattLA
Originally Posted by Roofbolter

Your story should be plenty enough reason for no American to ever want to mine coal, glad you can still function enough to trap. I do understand your point though and agree that if there is a job the government tries to "place" you in that it should be commensurate with what you earned mining coal. I hope we don't stop burning coal, but we should import it from other countries.

Dang man, get real! You just don't get it???

DJT & MTG in 2024!
Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750486
12/22/22 04:11 AM
12/22/22 04:11 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
My grandpa worked at # 2 coal mine in Livingston Il. until he was 72 in 1954 a slab of shale broke his back they said he would never walk again but he walked out of the hospital these guys were tough but then he died from an infected toe in 1969 because he wouldn't go to the Dr. He was 87 and did it his way.

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750498
12/22/22 05:59 AM
12/22/22 05:59 AM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
My great grandfather died in a coal mine cave in at 75 years old.

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750546
12/22/22 07:35 AM
12/22/22 07:35 AM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
A nations wealth is directly relevant to its natural resources. The rest are just consumers.

If you don't utilize your resources, you're in the consumer catagory.

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750569
12/22/22 07:54 AM
12/22/22 07:54 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Online sleepy
trapper
Wolfdog91  Online Sleepy
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
I see no problem with looking for better ways to power ourselves, especially when we only have a finite amount of something. That's being said though I don't get why we have to 100% cut out something that works and is progressively getting better.

Like let's not be Saudi and Kuwait.... because when their oild dries up their SCREWED. But at the same time can't we please not be Germany right now smirk

Stagnation is bad but moving too fast without a good plan just because it sounds good is just retarded

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750575
12/22/22 08:02 AM
12/22/22 08:02 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
We've got lots of coal. We've got lots of oil. There is no reason not to use it.

Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: Trapper7] #7750595
12/22/22 08:23 AM
12/22/22 08:23 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by Trapper7
One other thing, the Permian Basin in TX is estimated to have enough oil to supply America for the next 200 years. I think I read where the Bakken oil fields of the Dakotas has about the same.

Yes and technology is moving so fast they keep finding more effective ways of finding and extracting more.
Back in the 70's the chicken littles were screaming we were going to run out in 10 yrs???

Here it is 50 yrs later now we have 4-500 yrs worth-Don't worry be Happy!!!

Same with natural gas.

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Re: America Was Built On Coal [Re: martentrapper] #7750602
12/22/22 08:31 AM
12/22/22 08:31 AM
7mtns of CENTRAL PA
GROUSEWIT Offline
trapper
GROUSEWIT  Offline
trapper

7mtns of CENTRAL PA
Originally Posted by martentrapper
I think MattLA is about the smartest guy here. He isn't even 30 years old yet I think!

A legend in his own mind???

NRALIFER,PRPA LIFER,HUNTER,FURTAKER
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread