Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7744013
12/14/22 11:24 PM
12/14/22 11:24 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
...I stand corrected, great insight WannaBe.

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7744689
12/15/22 07:59 PM
12/15/22 07:59 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Low Income Tips:

Under no circumstances should you use zip ties OR paracord to secure foot traps. Period. There’s no discussion beyond it will fail you and make the situation worse.

Buy rebar from places that sell it in 20 foot pieces. Do not buy it in 24” pieces unless you’re in a bind. When I was buying rebar, a 2 foot piece at Lowe’s was about $2 if I remember correctly. A 20 foot piece was less than $7. I know, because I bought hundreds of feet at that price.

Wire is CHEAP! Cable can be cheap. I’ve paid $0.03 per foot for cable. The awkward, obvious answer in this thread is that sometimes if a person actually shops around, they can save a lot of money. Don’t cut corners on things that need to be quality. For 1x19 snare cable? Only the best. For extensions? Cheap. Don’t buy 100 feet for $15 when you can actually buy 1000 feet for a little more when you know where to look. Shop around. Buy it cheap and stack it deep if it’s something you use a lot of. Buying a single product that you use a lot of at full retail price is silly. Don’t buy (200) single drinks at a convenience store when you can just go to the regional beverage supplier and buy a keg.

Don’t buy ferrules at a retail store for $1 each, unless you only need 1. You can buy 100 from a dealer for $6. Know where to shop.

Use your beaver meat for the table, save the money spent on beef.

Use your beaver meat for bait.

Make your own lure with the castor and oil from beavers. Only predator trap? Great. Still go catch some beavers to use for food or bait anyway.

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7744848
12/15/22 10:20 PM
12/15/22 10:20 PM
South Dakota
R
Rat Masterson Offline
trapper
Rat Masterson  Offline
trapper
R

South Dakota
I'm still trying to get over retired at 32, you didn't work at FTX did ya?

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7744862
12/15/22 10:37 PM
12/15/22 10:37 PM
Wisconsin
S
Steel Jaw Offline
trapper
Steel Jaw  Offline
trapper
S

Wisconsin
I am brand new to this forum and to trapping so take this for what its worth.

This thread started off on the right foot It seemed but went south In a hurry in my opinion.

Being brand new, I can appreciate saving $ when feasible, things like using a 5 gallon bucket with a bucket boss took skirt for tools and lure, bait, etc.

Using milk jugs or PB jars to store waxed dirt or even making your own stakes, earth anchors, snares or cable restraint, baits and lures etc.

However, I think its also very important to remember 3 things.

1. the animals deserve the best we can give them, whether that's a sturdy anchor that holds, enough swivels to not bind, etc.

2. Trapping is not going to pay the bills like it did in the 70s and 80s. I can't think any of us plan to live on this fur market as a full time job. I think we do it because its fun, it protects other animals from over population, protects the actual animals we seek from diseases or other over population hazards. Most of us don't have to trap to survive. We are doing it either for a hobby or to keep populations in check.

3. In this economy, if you are not truly disabled , its your fault if you don't have the $ you need/want. Practically every place has hiring signs up. If you don't like the pay at your current job, find another that pays more. If you want nicer items in life you need to work in a career that can support that. If you want to use para chord for anything other than to make a coyote carry sling out of, you need to do something that allows you to do something the right way.

To me trapping has must haves, nice to haves, and then the luxury items that are purely for adding more enjoyment.

Good anchors, good traps, and good swivels and good ethics are the must haves. If you can't have these I personally don't think someone should be trapping.

Having higher end tools vs homemade trowels, shovels, sifters pack baskets, etc are all nice to haves. Other things can get the job done ethically, maybe just not as efficiently.

A skinning machine, a high end fleshing knife, etc would fall into the luxury items to me as a newbie. To others they are the must haves due to their volume.

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7744918
12/15/22 11:45 PM
12/15/22 11:45 PM
Wyoming
T
ttzt Offline
trapper
ttzt  Offline
trapper
T

Wyoming
This guy gets it!

Welcome!

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7744924
12/15/22 11:53 PM
12/15/22 11:53 PM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
It did go south in a hurry. I tried to give some helpful stuff that worked for me.
Jim grin

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7744934
12/16/22 12:08 AM
12/16/22 12:08 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
Here is another tip for someone trying to save money. You can make a good sifter out of a cake pan, the rectangle ones are like 9"x13" I think. You can pick one up at the thrift store for a quarter, then take it home and drill a bunch of 1/4" holes in it. Not as stout as some of the boughten ones, but as long as you don't try and use it as a cane to push yourself up with when you finish a set, they are plenty stout to last for many years, and will hold quite a lot of dirt. I have one I made as a spare, and find I use it a lot more than my "good" one because I like it better. Actually have been thinking about making another with larger 3/8" holes to try.

I find I mainly use a sifter to put the dirt I dig out of the trap bed in to pack off any more, use waxed dirt on about everything, even early season sets, so I don't have to redo them when the weather turns nasty, and my waxed dirt is presifted (so the sifter gets plenty of work then) so I just scoop it out of the bucket and over the trap. Either sift a little on site dirt over to blend, or more often grass or pine needles, whatever blends best.

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: Steel Jaw] #7745981
12/17/22 11:45 AM
12/17/22 11:45 AM
CO
R
Ringneck1 Offline
trapper
Ringneck1  Offline
trapper
R

CO
Originally Posted by Steel Jaw
I am brand new to this forum and to trapping so take this for what its worth.

This thread started off on the right foot It seemed but went south In a hurry in my opinion.

Being brand new, I can appreciate saving $ when feasible, things like using a 5 gallon bucket with a bucket boss took skirt for tools and lure, bait, etc.

Using milk jugs or PB jars to store waxed dirt or even making your own stakes, earth anchors, snares or cable restraint, baits and lures etc.

However, I think its also very important to remember 3 things.

1. the animals deserve the best we can give them, whether that's a sturdy anchor that holds, enough swivels to not bind, etc.

2. Trapping is not going to pay the bills like it did in the 70s and 80s. I can't think any of us plan to live on this fur market as a full time job. I think we do it because its fun, it protects other animals from over population, protects the actual animals we seek from diseases or other over population hazards. Most of us don't have to trap to survive. We are doing it either for a hobby or to keep populations in check.

3. In this economy, if you are not truly disabled , its your fault if you don't have the $ you need/want. Practically every place has hiring signs up. If you don't like the pay at your current job, find another that pays more. If you want nicer items in life you need to work in a career that can support that. If you want to use para chord for anything other than to make a coyote carry sling out of, you need to do something that allows you to do something the right way.

To me trapping has must haves, nice to haves, and then the luxury items that are purely for adding more enjoyment.

Good anchors, good traps, and good swivels and good ethics are the must haves. If you can't have these I personally don't think someone should be trapping.

Having higher end tools vs homemade trowels, shovels, sifters pack baskets, etc are all nice to haves. Other things can get the job done ethically, maybe just not as efficiently.

A skinning machine, a high end fleshing knife, etc would fall into the luxury items to me as a newbie. To others they are the must haves due to their volume.

There's a ton of common sense in this post. Good job

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7746011
12/17/22 12:28 PM
12/17/22 12:28 PM
St. Louis Co, Mo
B
BigBob Offline
trapper
BigBob  Offline
trapper
B

St. Louis Co, Mo
WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED TO THIS POST!!! Somebody PLEASE delete the entire 2nd page!

Every kid needs a Dog and a Curmudgeon.

Remember Bowe Bergdahl, the traitor.

Beware! Jill Pudlewski, Ron Oates and Keven Begesse are liars and thiefs!
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: BigBob] #7746107
12/17/22 02:11 PM
12/17/22 02:11 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline
trapper
bblwi  Offline
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Low income is a subjective situation for most of us. Many posts reference buying bulk rerod, metal, cable cable parts etc. which is all well and good. I doubt that many low income new trappers have welders, materials, bench swaggers etc. as those are investments that demand resources. Getting back to the OP I personally have moved away from glass storage as I had more breakage on items then I liked, most of which may be because I was more careless then many but it still is a mess. There are many plastic forms of storage.
Also moving a bit away from low income. Many on here talk about doing things yourself as the lowest cost option but don't sacrifice quality where needed. If you are new to trapping and have a very good payiing occupation and can and do work a lot of OT your time on the job is valuable so buying items that are ready made and meets your needs may be the lowest cost option for you. Not much value in using a Saturday to save $50 when you could be earning $300.

Bryce

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7746188
12/17/22 03:50 PM
12/17/22 03:50 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
I believe it was Warren Buffet who once said value isn’t what you pay . Value is what you get.

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: bblwi] #7747967
12/19/22 06:42 PM
12/19/22 06:42 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline OP
trapper
MattLA  Offline OP
trapper
M

Louisiana
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1st pic is a #11 Newhouse Double Jaw, 4 foot of #2 double loop wire chain, and I just wrapped it around a beaver "log" that functions as the drag. This was originally set for raccoons, but when i walked up this morning there was a live 35lb-40lb beaver in the water. It was making funny movements and I thought it was sick, but turns out the #11 double jaw had a great grip on his back foot and my natural drag with chain did it's job of tangling itself around 4 beaver sticks I pounded in around the lodge for a different purpose. I was able to get close enough and talk calmly to the beaver and let him go. Just 15 yards from this beaver, a dead beaver that put her head in a RGB 220, that also had a beaver stick drag, she was 5 yards from where the trap was originally placed. You can see the natural drag applied here again even for beaver.

I will be uploading the video to Youtube just because of how crazy it was to see a beaver as close as I did. I could not film me getting closer or the release though. We will be continuing on with this as originally intended and I will request that one of the mods or admins delete every post after 080808's 4th post down on the 2nd page. Lets keep this going guys, I have to format pictures that I took today to post.

Just to be clear on the intent and vision of this post. We are assuming that the person has a bad paying job, no job, and has 3-5 traps to use to catch fur, meat and supplies with. There is no money to buy stuff with, everything must be scrounged from natural products, gotten for free at places like work sites, scrap yards, dumpsters, and the side of the road. Every recommendation that provides any tip is always welcome, but lets keep to the OG intent here because there is a lot more we can do. We still have so much to cover. Tight lines my friends.

Last edited by MattLA; 12/19/22 06:43 PM.
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7748352
12/20/22 12:15 AM
12/20/22 12:15 AM
Oregon
P
PWC Offline
trapper
PWC  Offline
trapper
P

Oregon
I would like to nominate the moniker, " Big Milk", to supplement MattLA's screen name.

If we can't have coonman, this is a very close second.

My "tip" to qualify my post is: "Para-snaring". Defined as the act of snaring wildlife with paracord. The activity shouldn't even require a license since it is fundamentally catch and release snaring. This is a "cheap" way to snare and makes as much sense as most everything else on this thread. Lol

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7748366
12/20/22 12:49 AM
12/20/22 12:49 AM
Klamath Co. OR
Easy Paul Offline
trapper
Easy Paul  Offline
trapper

Klamath Co. OR
[Linked Image]

Let's get this thread back on track...

Many plants and trees have high levels of tannin in their bark which makes good trap dye. I make bows and this is some strips of Big Leaf Maple bark that I saved from a bow build and used to dye my traps.

Oaks (especially the galls), willows, maples among MANY others all have useful amounts of tannins in their bark and can be used for dying your traps.

Be easy~
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: PWC] #7748369
12/20/22 12:53 AM
12/20/22 12:53 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by PWC
I would like to nominate the moniker, " Big Milk", to supplement MattLA's screen name.

If we can't have coonman, this is a very close second.

My "tip" to qualify my post is: "Para-snaring". Defined as the act of snaring wildlife with paracord. The activity shouldn't even require a license since it is fundamentally catch and release snaring. This is a "cheap" way to snare and makes as much sense as most everything else on this thread. Lol

Just for your information snaring of all animals large and small was done with cordage for thousands of years.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: Easy Paul] #7748371
12/20/22 12:55 AM
12/20/22 12:55 AM
james bay frontierOnt.
B
Boco Offline
trapper
Boco  Offline
trapper
B

james bay frontierOnt.
Originally Posted by Easy Paul
[Linked Image]

Let's get this thread back on track...

Many plants and trees have high levels of tannin in their bark which makes good trap dye. I make bows and this is some strips of Big Leaf Maple bark that I saved from a bow build and used to dye my traps.

Oaks (especially the galls), willows, maples among MANY others all have useful amounts of tannins in their bark and can be used for dying your traps.

I use alder twigs tips leaves and catkins to dye traps a deep long lasting blue black colour.
High tanning content.

Forget that fear of gravity-get a little savagery in your life.
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7748453
12/20/22 07:28 AM
12/20/22 07:28 AM
Firth, Nebraska
jabNE Offline
trapper
jabNE  Offline
trapper

Firth, Nebraska
I use walnut hulls.

Money cannot buy you happiness, but it can buy you a trapping license and that's pretty close.
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7748504
12/20/22 08:49 AM
12/20/22 08:49 AM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
I like to dye traps with sumac bark.
Even wrapped up in a porous bag I had trouble with the berries leaving lots of stuck little particles on the trap that didn't wash off well. The berries did work nice on a deep penetrating dye job though

Last edited by Turtledale; 12/20/22 08:50 AM.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7748520
12/20/22 09:04 AM
12/20/22 09:04 AM
Idaho
B
bearcat2 Offline
trapper
bearcat2  Offline
trapper
B

Idaho
I like to use alder bark, I have used walnut hulls also.

Re: Tip for low income trappers and all trappers [Re: MattLA] #7748897
12/20/22 03:57 PM
12/20/22 03:57 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by MattLA
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

1st pic is a #11 Newhouse Double Jaw, 4 foot of #2 double loop wire chain, and I just wrapped it around a beaver "log" that functions as the drag. This was originally set for raccoons, but when i walked up this morning there was a live 35lb-40lb beaver in the water. It was making funny movements and I thought it was sick, but turns out the #11 double jaw had a great grip on his back foot and my natural drag with chain did it's job of tangling itself around 4 beaver sticks I pounded in around the lodge for a different purpose. I was able to get close enough and talk calmly to the beaver and let him go. Just 15 yards from this beaver, a dead beaver that put her head in a RGB 220, that also had a beaver stick drag, she was 5 yards from where the trap was originally placed. You can see the natural drag applied here again even for beaver.

I’m not trying to be rude, but the stick in the picture you posted is way too small to be used as a drag in my experience. They’ll haul that thing around like they’re playing fetch. New trappers should not be securing traps to sticks that size unless they want animals disappearing wearing a trap. Use larger logs or appropriate, aggressive drags

Last edited by Aix sponsa; 12/20/22 05:22 PM.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91