Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Scored! #7743187
12/13/22 11:36 PM
12/13/22 11:36 PM
Palmer Alaska
C
chasing eyes Offline OP
trapper
chasing eyes  Offline OP
trapper
C

Palmer Alaska
Ok scored a road kill moose today!
Got it loaded up in my large otter sled and in the trailer. Which was not fun by myself thank God for a come along, but now I will be looking to purchase a rope along so I do not have to keep rehooking.

So I have a few questions

This is my first time using a moose kill so how would you guys set it up? Type of area to look for to set it up?
Trap locations around it?
Trap types? I have been using mostly snares and not footholds because I don't always get back out on my line on a regular basis because of work.
Would you set traps on the kill right away or let the animals find it first?

Also it seems like it is going to pull very hard in my otter sled, do the cross Fox sleds pull a lot easier? With the amount of snow that we have already this year Im worried about getting stuck trying to get it to my bait site.

Any advice would be great
Thanks Dave

Re: Scored! [Re: chasing eyes] #7743249
12/14/22 01:47 AM
12/14/22 01:47 AM
Wasilla AK
HFT AK Offline
trapper
HFT AK  Offline
trapper

Wasilla AK
I always cut mine down into movable chunks an put it in those big black trash bags. One moose and I end up with about 15 bags. I dont drive right up to my bait stations and have to carry it in.

I would suggest finding a spruce thicket with a opening and dumping the bait in the opening.

I wouldn't set up on it right away and I would let the critters find it first. Plus it gives you an opportunity to see how much bird activity you are going to get. That will drive the train per say if I would put traps outs.

Ravens, eagles, and magpies will check out anything laying around or that catches their eye. If you go the trap route make sure you have a high pan tension 3-5 lbs for fox and yote 10lbs for wolf.

I prefer snares on baits.

Re: Scored! [Re: HFT AK] #7745497
12/16/22 06:43 PM
12/16/22 06:43 PM
Palmer Alaska
C
chasing eyes Offline OP
trapper
chasing eyes  Offline OP
trapper
C

Palmer Alaska