Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue #7739908
12/10/22 12:06 PM
12/10/22 12:06 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
I’m not making this post to complain, but rather to inform.

I recently purchased inline swivels and 1/16 - 5/64 slim locks. Unfortunately, what I received isn’t what I’ve purchased in the past. When it comes to swivels, quality matters. It absolutely matters. If it stretches—it’s not built strong enough..... If it binds at less than it’s rated loading, It’s garbage as far as I’m concerned, and binding is what separates cheap swivels at retail fishing stores from premium swivels.

I ordered what was sold as #6 swivels from a major online trapping supplier. The name doesn’t matter, because this could have happened using any supplier. When I received them, I noticed that the eyes were much thinner than the #6 rosco swivels that I normally use. #6 swivels (also sold as 6/0 swivels) are supposed to be rated for 600 lbs. #8 (8/0) are supposed to be rated at 800 lbs.

I built some 5/64” 1x19 beaver snares with these #6 swivels connecting 3/32” cable with a wolf fang on the end like I normally do and set some out. After a crossover stopped showing signs of use, I decided to pull my snares. I slipped the handle of my pliers through the cable loop and used it as a handle to try to pull the Wolf fang before cutting the cable. I didn’t use a lever, and I’m not really a big guy, so I was disappointed to see the swivel eyes stretch like they did, because I can guarantee you that I wasn’t pulling anywhere close to 600 lbs—-probably more like 150 lbs. This would not have happened with the premium swivels that are so commonly sold by trapping suppliers. I sure hope this order was a one-off and the premium swivels are still being distributed.

If you’re ordering inline swivels, either insist on the premium rosco swivels OR get a size larger than you think you need. #8 (8/0) is the size I most often buy and use, because if a swivel is stronger than it needs to be, you can reuse it over and over and over, but this time I ordered #6, because true 6/0 swivels are plenty, plenty strong for what I’m using them for. Not the case when the swivel isn’t strong enough.

[Linked Image]

Secondly, slim locks. They’re a great lock, and one of my all time favorites, but like everything else, they’re made in batches. The 1/16 - 5/64 slim locks I recently ordered were different than ones I’ve bought and used in the past. The first thing I noticed was the finish. The slim locks I’ve bought in the past had a shiny finish to them. These were dull, but they were definitely slim locks and not a knockoff. As I made 5/64” snares and tested them, I noticed that there was a slight drag when the snare fired. I immediately knew something was off, because slim locks are great. I closely compared these new locks with the shiny slims that I already had, and I noticed that the bur, tang, or whatever the piece that actually locks was a little lower on the “new” slim locks than it is on the older locks. How much of a difference? I don’t have the equipment to measure it, but if I had to guess I’d say it’s half of a millimeter? Seems like nothing, right? Well, it makes a difference on 5/64” cable in my opinion. On 1/16”? Works like a CHARM, but... on 5/64”, it is definitely a problem in my opinion. To fix the problem, I used pliers to slightly open the tang up a little. Problem solved, but I will definitely be sure to purchase the shiny slim locks in the future OR order the 3/32” size slim locks. Again, this is not a complaint. I am just sharing my experience.

B67FC374-F01D-4327-A261-8F59254A428E.jpegE8DCEB96-8894-48C3-A1C7-1C20C0CF9147.jpeg
Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7739934
12/10/22 12:48 PM
12/10/22 12:48 PM
South Ga - Almost Florida
S
Swamp Wolf Offline
trapper
Swamp Wolf  Offline
trapper
S

South Ga - Almost Florida
Thanks for heads up Aix. I use those same swivels and locks with 1/19×5/64 cable.

I will inspect all my parts amd snares already made.

Thank God For Your Blessings!
Never Half-Arse Anything!

Resource Protection Service

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7740001
12/10/22 02:13 PM
12/10/22 02:13 PM
Sergievsk, Russia
K
KOSOI Offline
trapper
KOSOI  Offline
trapper
K

Sergievsk, Russia
Thank you. If I could buy such locks now in Russia, I would be a very happy man.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7740004
12/10/22 02:18 PM
12/10/22 02:18 PM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
With all of the talk of material shortages on all kinds of things, I would not be surprised if the manufacturer had to use a slightly different material than he normally uses. And different materials may not form exactly the same even if processed on the same tooling. The pierced tab may not end up with the same opening size if one material has more spring than the other unless the stroke of the punch is adjusted or the tooling modified to compensate. And on the 4 pieces shown in that one view, the one on the far right has the hole punch and piercing on the opposite side of the blank from the other three pieces.

From your description, it sounds like the new ones work fine if you pry the tab open a tad more. It could be just a quality control issue or it could be a new punch and die for the piercing that is a few thousandths different.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7740045
12/10/22 03:13 PM
12/10/22 03:13 PM
Southeast Louisiana
S
Slipknot Offline
trapper
Slipknot  Offline
trapper
S

Southeast Louisiana
Aix I see what your saying. Just an fyi The Fish net company in Jonesville La. Sell those swivels if are looking to swap out .

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: QuietButDeadly] #7740107
12/10/22 04:37 PM
12/10/22 04:37 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly
With all of the talk of material shortages on all kinds of things, I would not be surprised if the manufacturer had to use a slightly different material than he normally uses. And different materials may not form exactly the same even if processed on the same tooling. The pierced tab may not end up with the same opening size if one material has more spring than the other unless the stroke of the punch is adjusted or the tooling modified to compensate. And on the 4 pieces shown in that one view, the one on the far right has the hole punch and piercing on the opposite side of the blank from the other three pieces.

From your description, it sounds like the new ones work fine if you pry the tab open a tad more. It could be just a quality control issue or it could be a new punch and die for the piercing that is a few thousandths different.

Very good points. The material making a difference when punched sounds like what more than likely happened.

To be clear, the new slims still works very well with 1/16” cable.

I just bent the tab to make it work, but...I don’t really want to do this unless I have to because I don’t want to risk weakening the tab by back and forth adjustment, and I wouldn’t want to change the angles which could potentially reduce how well a snare locks up as it sets. Fixing it out of necessity is fine, but it takes time to do each one. I’m glad that I only ordered a dozen this time.

If I knew who the manufacturer was I’d let them know. Perhaps if someone reading this knows, they could let them know. Slim locks are such a good lock that even this will not keep me from buying more. I’ll just make sure I’m getting the other batches, if possible.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7740652
12/11/22 09:28 AM
12/11/22 09:28 AM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
I wonder if the supply company are getting their swivels and locks from a different supplier.. Maybe cheaper??

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: backroadsarcher] #7740661
12/11/22 09:39 AM
12/11/22 09:39 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by backroadsarcher
I wonder if the supply company are getting their swivels and locks from a different supplier.. Maybe cheaper??

I’ve seen different swivels at different times over the years. The swivels I received those times weren’t my first choice, but.... they were at least comparable in size, strength, and quality.

These? Not even close in my opinion. I’d put these recent #6 (6/0) swivels in the same class as rosco #4 (4/0).

I would not trust these for coyotes. At all. If I can stretch the loops without leverage, a strong coyote would make short work of them in my opinion. I’m not willing to find out.

As far as coyote snare swivels go, Rosco, universal trapping swivel, or snare end swivel with cable extension attached to it so that it swivels—-just not these light swivels.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7740697
12/11/22 10:34 AM
12/11/22 10:34 AM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
Well written and documented. Thanks for the heads up.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7740836
12/11/22 01:27 PM
12/11/22 01:27 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Unfortunately, most of the trap supply sites that I use dont sell swivels under a brand name, just listed as Barrel Swivels. Maybe thats something they should change.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: KOSOI] #7740921
12/11/22 03:11 PM
12/11/22 03:11 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by KOSOI
Thank you. If I could buy such locks now in Russia, I would be a very happy man.

Im going to send you a PM. I have a partial authorization from the state department for trapping supplies, but I have not checked back on it since like month 4 of um the SMO/conflict.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7742336
12/13/22 01:15 AM
12/13/22 01:15 AM
Texas
P
paloduro Offline
trapper
paloduro  Offline
trapper
P

Texas
I had the same problem on some new slim locks and 5/64 cable.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7742385
12/13/22 06:44 AM
12/13/22 06:44 AM
NE NE
W
Wife Offline
trapper
Wife  Offline
trapper
W

NE NE
Rather than the pliers to bend the lock, could a nail file (It would need to be small and thin) be used to slip in the bur tag for a few polishing strokes? Or a small vibrating, dremel type flat sander to save the grunt work? Pliers on 100 of those would have me looking hard at a "mechanical advantage over hand bending. Another reason to visit the hardware store before Christmas LOL. ......................... the mike

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Wife] #7742462
12/13/22 08:52 AM
12/13/22 08:52 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Wife
Rather than the pliers to bend the lock, could a nail file (It would need to be small and thin) be used to slip in the bur tag for a few polishing strokes? Or a small vibrating, dremel type flat sander to save the grunt work? Pliers on 100 of those would have me looking hard at a "mechanical advantage over hand bending. Another reason to visit the hardware store before Christmas LOL. ......................... the mike

I do think your way is better. If I had to fix a bunch, I think I’d go with your way, but honestly, if I had 100 of these I would just put them aside to use for 1/16 cable (which they work well with) and order a different batch from another supplier or use an entirely different lock that I have on hand for the 5/64 snares.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7742507
12/13/22 09:45 AM
12/13/22 09:45 AM
Port Republic South Jersey
N
Newt Offline
trapper
Newt  Offline
trapper
N

Port Republic South Jersey
I know who you bought them from. Same on you for trying to save a buck. If it sounds too good to be true, it Usey is. You get what you pay for
You SURE did not buy them from ME.
SLIM LOCKS HAVE NOT CHANGED

Last edited by Newt; 12/13/22 09:51 AM.

South Jersey Trapping and Snaring School
January 19-20-21 2024
NEWT -----------------OVER----------------

www.snareone.com
Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Newt] #7742521
12/13/22 10:02 AM
12/13/22 10:02 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by Newt
I know who you bought them from. Same on you for trying to save a buck.. You get what you pay for
You SURE did not buy them from ME.
SLIM LOCKS HAVE NOT CHANGED

wink wink good morning newt.

You’re right, these didn’t come from you this time. I’ve only received the highest quality cable and components from snare one, so I wouldn’t have even made this post if I would have gotten these from you. Look at this post as a good reason for folks to try snare one.com

A friend of mine wanted some snares made, and he wanted some made with slim locks. I made him several dozen, half of which were made with your Newt’s Master Lock.

I don’t know what to say about the slim locks not changing, because 12 out of 12 had to be adjusted to slide like the 40 or so slim locks I already had in my box. I sat at my table with loaded snare cable. I’d put on a slim lock from my box, test fire it several times, and then I’d try the lock from that latest order. Only the dull finished locks would drag.
It would have a noticeable drag to it on 5/64 until I lightly adjusted the tab. I bent every single one to open them just a bit. On 1/16 cable they worked as normal but not on 5/64.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7742829
12/13/22 05:27 PM
12/13/22 05:27 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
So who's selling these piece of crap locks and swivels. I wouldn't want others buying this junk. Have you contacted them? They need to know too. Spill the beans.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: ~ADC~] #7742860
12/13/22 06:17 PM
12/13/22 06:17 PM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline OP
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline OP
trapper

Louisiana
Originally Posted by ~ADC~
So who's selling these piece of crap locks and swivels. I wouldn't want others buying this junk. Have you contacted them? They need to know too. Spill the beans.

Honestly, I don’t think it really matters as they aren’t the ones producing them, the manufacturer could have sent them out to anyone. I wouldn’t call them pieces of junk, because they still work perfectly on 1/16”, the locks I received in this single dozen were tight by the smallest of fractions and needed to be opened up a tiny bit. You can see it in the photo. It’s just a hair. I’ve purchased and used many, many slim locks in every size up to even the stainless 1/8” ones that newt sells. This is the first and only issue I’ve ever had with slims. Ever. I didn’t want this to turn into what some may interpret as a slim lock bashing, because it’s not. Who knows how many slim locks are out there, tens or hundreds of thousands I’m sure. It was just letting people know that if they’ve received any lately, they should check to see if it performs as expected or if it needed to be loosened up a little. Newt said that slim locks haven’t changed. If they haven’t changed, then this could have just been a bad dozen.

It’s not the first time I’ve seen locks that had some sort of manufacturing/quality issue. In that case it was when Newt’s master lock came out in...2017? There were some jagged edges on the earliest batches of locks’ holes if I remember correctly. I contacted newt, he took care of the issue, and it’s been my other all time favorite snare lock ever since, and every lock I’ve received since has been exactly like it was supposed to be. They were his locks, so I knew who I needed to talk to, and I’ve been 100% satisfied ever since. Anyone that hasn’t tried his locks yet should, because they’re what I describe as a lock that’s easy to work with.

In this case, for the particular dozen slim locks I received, they worked perfectly on 1/16 but on 5/64 they dragged a bit, even on slick cable so I bent them a hair to make it right and let others know that if and only if they get a tight batch that they need to consider opening up the lock just a tiny bit.

I’ll let the supplier know, and I’ll PM you the supplier. As good as they’ve been to me over the years, I wouldn’t have felt right spreading it publicly. The internet is forever.

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7742969
12/13/22 08:29 PM
12/13/22 08:29 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
So is someone knocking off the original slim locks or what? If you get the good ones from Newt, and he says they haven't changed, where are the less than good ones coming from?

Re: Slim Locks and Swivels— Issue [Re: Aix sponsa] #7743003
12/13/22 08:58 PM
12/13/22 08:58 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
It would be rather odd for a mfg to be sending a product to a supplier without first going through Newt unless that's the contract he has with the mfg, if they are indeed Slim Locks. I guess it would save shipping them twice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91