No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Purchasing a compound bow advice [Re: G Hose] #7737548
12/08/22 03:57 AM
12/08/22 03:57 AM
illinois
J
jalstat Offline
trapper
jalstat  Offline
trapper
J

illinois
Agree with you Eagleye I shoot one pin ,kisser button and no peep . Didn't shoot a release till 2004

Re: Purchasing a compound bow advice [Re: G Hose] #7737598
12/08/22 07:31 AM
12/08/22 07:31 AM
West Virginia
D
DugK Offline
trapper
DugK  Offline
trapper
D

West Virginia
Originally Posted by G Hose
Thanks for the info, pm’s, offers an advice. I went to one now shop today an checked out a few. They found out my draw length an stuff. Had planned on going to a few others but not many bow shops have 9-5 hours around here. I assume several do it on the side an have a regular job. But do plan on checking out quite a few more.

Originally Posted by DugK
Go to Mastins Archery in Rhonda, outside of Elkin. He will hook you up and is a great shop.

That’s my next stop, 2nd closest shop to me. He was closed today.

When I lived down there, I went to his shop, I went to his shop. He used to set up bows for Hoyt, I think. I listened to all his recommendations on everything except the rest. It was expense, in 2010 I bought a Hoyt Turbo Hawk fully set up with a dozen arrows and a release. I think it was almost $1300. The add ons is what adds up. But, I still use that bow today. I have had the strings replaced a few times and tuned. It was a great investment that I do not regret. Good Luck

Re: Purchasing a compound bow advice [Re: G Hose] #7737609
12/08/22 07:39 AM
12/08/22 07:39 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I forgot to mention one add on that should be included- that's a wrist bow sling. If you're first starting to shoot, archery is all muscle memory... you don't want to grip the bow, when you pull back you want to create a "V" with your thumb and forefingers. This will help with your follow through post shot.
In addition, create a repeatable anchor point for your release, a kisser button mentioned is a good way for some- I anchor my thumb behind my jawbone.

Last edited by Eagleye; 12/08/22 07:40 AM.
Re: Purchasing a compound bow advice [Re: Wanna Be] #7737884
12/08/22 11:49 AM
12/08/22 11:49 AM
mi. u.p
grapestomper Offline
trapper
grapestomper  Offline
trapper

mi. u.p
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I would not start off buying a bow online. Once you know your draw length and what weight you can pull, then later on you could buy online. Get set up by a professional first. Bad habits come from something that doesn’t fit right.

You are correct. You need to be fit to the bow to know what the right feel is.

Re: Purchasing a compound bow advice [Re: G Hose] #7757485
12/29/22 05:38 PM
12/29/22 05:38 PM
Surry county, NC
G Hose Offline OP
trapper
G Hose  Offline OP
trapper

Surry county, NC
Thanks for all the info folks. I ended up purchasing a new bow. It’s at the shop getting set up. I’ll go back in the morning to shoot it an make sure I still like it. Hopefully will be able to post my first bow kill next year.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread