No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732129
12/01/22 09:40 PM
12/01/22 09:40 PM
Livingston, Texas
S
Sheepdog1 Offline
trapper
Sheepdog1  Offline
trapper
S

Livingston, Texas
there is a tremendous difference between a stepdown dirthole and a dadgum crater hole set. my stepdowns are very subtle. but, if it has four feet and fur, I can catch it in my version of that set. thats more of a trench set to me. To each their own . i like the stepdown set as i typically ran 5 pounds of pan tension and didnt miss much when they committed to the set. coon, grey fox, cats and yotes with the occasional grinner. not to mention the skunks buried up to their neck in a trap.

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732185
12/01/22 10:30 PM
12/01/22 10:30 PM
Mo
T
Trapper5123 Offline
trapper
Trapper5123  Offline
trapper
T

Mo
Nothing like a possum floating on your drowner in a step down.

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: Wanna Be] #7732425
12/02/22 09:05 AM
12/02/22 09:05 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Eagleye, I started doing this after catching a bobcat and then remade the set as it was. A coyote came through and circled, but wouldn’t commit. I went back and added a set on either side like what’s in the pics and got her 4 days later when it came back through. Again according to the camera, she didn’t fully commit, but stepped exactly where I wanted her to when circling. Since then I’ve just started putting 2 like in the pics and it’s worked for me. With the “mounds” on either side of the trench you can really guide where you want them to step a lot easier because they’re more focused on the hole itself.

I'm a slow learner- I first saw the mound track and thought... he'll be back- he returned and stepped in the same spot, making a figure 8 track- put a trap on that spot and hooked up 2 days later.

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732442
12/02/22 09:40 AM
12/02/22 09:40 AM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Gentlemen, this is just for the sake of discussion, not meant to say anybody is doing this or that the wrong way

If it takes you three traps at one set to get him to step where he needs to, is that set really the set you should be making?

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732443
12/02/22 09:41 AM
12/02/22 09:41 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Gentlemen, this is just for the sake of discussion, not meant to say anybody is doing this or that the wrong way

If it takes you three traps at one set to get him to step where he needs to, is that set really the set you should be making?

I only set one- left mound side

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: Eagleye] #7732444
12/02/22 09:42 AM
12/02/22 09:42 AM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Originally Posted by Eagleye
I only set one- left mound side

Then why make it a step down style trench in the first place? Is the digging of the trench/step down necessary just to not put a trap there?

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732451
12/02/22 09:52 AM
12/02/22 09:52 AM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
The trench is nothing but a sight visual…with hopefully a smell they can’t resist coming from it. Great set when dry, but like the pic shows, it becomes a watering hole after a good rain. It seems the past several years I trap in wetter weather than more than I trap in dry conditions.

2-3 traps? Man I’m out to catch all I can and in a time frame on certain properties. The more I catch the more I make. Why have a possibility of a miss when a second trap would’ve caught him. I’ve seen many pics on here of the coyote stepped here or there and not on my pan. Now they have to wait another 3 days or week or two weeks before it comes back through. I just like to double my odds on those types of sets.

If there’s cat tracks or scat around I’ll put one on the backside of the hole. Every pic I have of cats getting caught they circle behind and come in from the back side.
I trap low density coyote areas so I want to catch one on the first pass, I’m not a great trapper so I have to do whatever I have to do.

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732456
12/02/22 09:54 AM
12/02/22 09:54 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
I guess personal preference, when I set and area I usually make 2 sets sometimes 3- a traditional dirt hole with trench set or compass set, I also differ the bait or lure from set-to-set. Some people like muscle memory and make the same set and trap bed identical- canine's love fresh dirt and I think the trench set gives them a flashy reason to stop.

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732474
12/02/22 10:13 AM
12/02/22 10:13 AM
De
C
coop Offline
trapper
coop  Offline
trapper
C

De
I make the same set almost all the time, and it's a stepdown... pro's outweigh the con's for me... peat moss helps. A big gully washer... they got me.

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732487
12/02/22 10:32 AM
12/02/22 10:32 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
I usually set two at a step down set. Both on drags to preserve the set as much as possible. Big rains, and they happen here often in the winter are the devil on this set. But of the ones I use, I've caught more on this than a regular dirt hole. The key is to not make it too tight.

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732545
12/02/22 11:49 AM
12/02/22 11:49 AM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
"Callie's little brother"
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
My 2 cents based of my situation.
Really the big advantage and only reason I use a step down (and to me there's a difference in a step down vs a trench set) is foot placement. For me if I have to set out of the step down or use multiple traps I just as well be using a flat set as it no longer has an advantage. I'm not big on using visual to help catch coyotes as it seems to discourage just as many as it attracts. I want to work their nose and trust in being on location. My step down is about 6 inches deep at the hole end with hole going back as horizontal as I can get it in a vertical face and back of step down just far enough back to be were the coyote will put his foot when he puts his nose up to hole. Trap about 3" deep when covered and just wide enough to bed trap. Vertical sides as I can get all around. No other guiding or backing other than the step down it's self. Set is probably 12 to 14 inches long 6 to 7 inches wide, 6 inches deep at hole end and 3 inches at trap. It's critical to use a bait and or lure the coyotes want to get to in this set.Some coyotes won't step in this and for them I'll use another set if I want or need to catch them. I like them to only have to make the last step into the step down. To me a trench set has a longer lead in and they have to take multiple steps into it to get to trap which seems to discourage more here than what my step down does. This is what seems to work best for me here. If I'm fighting precipitation there's other sets that work better for me.

Last edited by Yes sir; 12/02/22 11:54 AM.
Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732553
12/02/22 12:01 PM
12/02/22 12:01 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Good post yes sir. I agree with you that I would rather use another set if the set requires multiple traps. I think my odds are greater with 3 singular sets than one set with 3 traps, but that is a whole different can of worms

I have the same feelings as you about the "visual" aspect. Digging the big heaping piles of fresh dirt is asking to catch every coon and possum around in my neck of the woods and send the coyotes packing. 90% of the places I trap are heavily called and night hunted. I do much better with more natural blended sets. The set in the picture ended up that way because we had rain come through and it was so muddy I dug it out when doing the remake

Your version sounds like something that would work much better for me here, the only reason I don't do it more often is soil conditions. Most of the time I could use a chisel to chip my trap beds out of the rock and be more effective. When trapping around tilled fields or softer ground I will definitely keep it in mind

I think that paired with a subtle flat set nearby will catch dang near anything passing by

Do you mound the excavated dirt at the opposing end of your step down from your dirt hole or do you toss it? Blend or no blend? For my coyotes I think I will do better tossing the dirt and lightly blending the set with nearby grass, soybean duff, etc

Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732567
12/02/22 12:26 PM
12/02/22 12:26 PM
Marion Kansas
Y
Yes sir Offline
Yes sir  Offline
Y

Marion Kansas
No blending on this set as this set represents some kind of digging and the coyote is expecting bare dirt and I usually make them on remakes so everything is disturbed around it anyway.
I'll generally leave a handful of dirt at opposite end from baited hole that looks like a little pile of dirt left from an animal digging. Trap is bedded level with a slope going down from trap bed to bait hole. Sometimes the set will end up being deeper than 3 and 6.
I've got a double dirt hole set that's a modification of a set I saw in one of Dobbins books that I like too. It's similar to some other people's double dirt holes but a little different. It's a little more weather resistant and really does a good job of controlling foot placement and taking advantage of a coyote working the hole from a 45 and approaching from either side. When I get to trapping I'll take to pics and try to explain the set and how/why it works. Maybe a video.

Last edited by Yes sir; 12/02/22 12:34 PM.
Re: What is a step down dirthole good for? [Re: coondagger2] #7732575
12/02/22 12:32 PM
12/02/22 12:32 PM
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

Good deal. Won't be a set I will make much but I can see where it has its place. Rain forecasted here in 5 out of the next 8 days. Better hold off for now grin

This is the standard dirthole I make most of the time. Caught two coyotes and a fox in this one

[Linked Image]

Last edited by coondagger2; 12/02/22 12:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread