No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
A True Thanksgiving Story #7723295
11/21/22 11:21 AM
11/21/22 11:21 AM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline OP
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline OP
trapper

Ames, IA
At this time of year we all gather for Thanksgiving dinners and the company of family and friends. I remember the year my Mother accidentally showed me the best representation of Thanksgiving I have ever seen. I can’t for the life of me remember the exact year but somewhere between 86-88 let’s say. Now for the story……

Twas the night before Thanksgiving and Mom and Charlie were down at the local tavern Martins enjoying some holiday cheer. As she looked around the bar Mom saw several people who she knew and also knew they had nowhere to go for Thanksgiving the next day. They were not welcome at their family or friend’s homes due to their attitudes, rudeness and other assorted issues.

Donald and Danny Chattin, who could hardly stand to be in the same room together. Mike and Francis Link who were known to be troublemakers. Joey Racine, who just got divorced, and had nowhere to go. Richard “Tree” Bush who was an alcoholic and not welcomed at his family gatherings. Even one man she didn't even know, but she later said "he looked sad and depressed" so she invited him too!

My mother went to each one and invited him to dinner the next day, told them where to come to and what time etc. Charlie was rolling his eyes, but knew Mom was to kind hearted to not invite people she knew were down and out. Thanksgiving dawned and Mom realized what she had done but figured they guys she invited would not really take her up on her invitation. To be safe we did have a 25 pound turkey and 15 pound ham and all the trimmings.

Around noon “Tree” shows up in a suit carrying his knife set and apron (he was a chef after all), He immediately went to kitchen and helped prep and prepare food. Slowly the rest of the invited guys arrived. Now most did not have suits, but they wore slacks and button downs, even a tie, and those who did not have that wore their best jeans and flannels.

At dinner these men whom their own families did not want, sat down together for a meal. We all held hands and said grace each man with his head bowed and eyes closed. Then these men who under normal circumstances would have been fighting by now passed around dishes, saying “Please” and Thank You” each time and pardon me if they reached in front. After dinner they all pitched in to clear the table and do the dishes etc.

We may not have had much for leftovers that year, but it was the best example of a true Thanksgiving I have ever seen. And, each year I think of it still.

No one remembered ever seeing that stranger before, or since and no one knows his name, kind of makes you wonder....

Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Last edited by MikeTraps2; 11/21/22 11:30 AM.

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: A True Thanksgiving Story [Re: MikeTraps2] #7723301
11/21/22 11:27 AM
11/21/22 11:27 AM
North Fairfield Ohio
B
BryanOney Offline
trapper
BryanOney  Offline
trapper
B

North Fairfield Ohio
I look forward to your Thanksgiving story every year. Thank you for sharing. Bryan

Re: A True Thanksgiving Story [Re: BryanOney] #7723321
11/21/22 11:58 AM
New York border
Cragar Offline
trapper
Cragar  Offline
trapper

New York border
Originally Posted by BryanOney
I look forward to your Thanksgiving story every year. Thank you for sharing.

X2
This story never gets old.
Props

NRA benefactor member
Re: A True Thanksgiving Story [Re: MikeTraps2] #7723322
Garden,Michigan
B
Buck (Zandra) Offline
trapper
Buck (Zandra)  Offline
trapper
B

Garden,Michigan
Thank you

Buck(formely known as Zandra)
Re: A True Thanksgiving Story [Re: MikeTraps2] #7723672
11/21/22 08:30 PM
11/21/22 08:30 PM
Ames, IA
MikeTraps2 Offline OP
trapper
MikeTraps2  Offline OP
trapper

Ames, IA
Glad to know y'all like it.

It always gives me perspective

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure

Theodore Roosevelt
Re: A True Thanksgiving Story [Re: MikeTraps2] #7723681
11/21/22 08:37 PM
11/21/22 08:37 PM
Mo
T
Trapper5123 Offline
trapper
Trapper5123  Offline
trapper
T

Mo
Thanks. It's not really Thanksgiving till I read this every year.

Re: A True Thanksgiving Story [Re: MikeTraps2] #7723776
11/21/22 09:57 PM
11/21/22 09:57 PM
SE SD
D
DWC Offline
trapper
DWC  Offline
trapper
D

SE SD
I do t know that I read it before last year but I remember it well this year. Good stuff.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread