No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Graying Fishing [Re: yukonjeff] #7696177
10/19/22 08:47 PM
10/19/22 08:47 PM
Northern Michigan
J
J.Morse Offline
trapper
J.Morse  Offline
trapper
J

Northern Michigan
Grayling hold a special place in my angler's heart. Grayling were once found in my area, but logging damage, overfishing, and competition with non-native trout planted in the local streams sealed the fate of the Michigan population. they were gone in the Lower Peninsula by the time my grandad was in his teens (born 1895). They were only found in one watershed in the Upper Peninsula and they were gone from that stream by the time my brother was born in 1936. I was in my mid twenties before i caught Grayling along the Alcan Hwy. I hope the latest attempt to re-introduce them here takes hold. The try in the mid 1980's was a complete failure. I think most were gone in a year or two. The rest were gone a year or two later.

Re: Graying Fishing [Re: upstateNY] #7696334
10/20/22 04:21 AM
10/20/22 04:21 AM
M.T.V. Alaska
Y
yukonjeff Offline OP
trapper
yukonjeff  Offline OP
trapper
Y

M.T.V. Alaska
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Nice.Never cought or ate one.Do you scale them or just gut,,behead and fry?

I dont scale any fish. It tends to make the meat mushy. Just fry with scales and peel back and eat. stays juicy that way. Crispy scaly Skin is good to eat too. I cut the heads and tails off so it would fit in the pan.

What Oh Snap said , we like to eat them fresh, have a white flaky flesh, especially good over a campfire. They are also eaten here aged a bit and frozen then dipped in seal oil, or made into agutuk,(Eskimo ice cream)

Alot of the bigger ones are feeding on red backed voles. They catch them swimming and suck them underwater. I watched them do it before. Some will have two or three in their gut.

They could be overfished I see if it was along the road system, they bite so well. Here next month folks will be ice fishing them right after freeze up. I remember seeing gunny sacks of grayling, even dog mushers parking their dogs while they fished them for dog feed through the ice. Never seemed to phase the population here. And now much less are being fished and our salmon are not coming back,egg/smolt eating grayling might be part of the problem. Probably would not hurt to fish them a little harder even.

Re: Graying Fishing [Re: yukonjeff] #7696566
10/20/22 01:12 PM
10/20/22 01:12 PM
alaska
S
spotter Offline
trapper
spotter  Offline
trapper
S

alaska
I fillet them, roll em in louisiana fish fry and fry in hot grease while fresh. My stomach is gurgling just thinking about it.

Re: Graying Fishing [Re: yukonjeff] #7696671
10/20/22 03:55 PM
10/20/22 03:55 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Those Grayings taste great!
I am envious of that nice catch.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Graying Fishing [Re: yukonjeff] #7697243
10/21/22 09:03 AM
10/21/22 09:03 AM
ny
U
upstateNY Offline
trapper
upstateNY  Offline
trapper
U

ny
Originally Posted by yukonjeff
Originally Posted by upstateNY
Nice.Never cought or ate one.Do you scale them or just gut,,behead and fry?

I dont scale any fish. It tends to make the meat mushy. Just fry with scales and peel back and eat. stays juicy that way. Crispy scaly Skin is good to eat too. I cut the heads and tails off so it would fit in the pan.

What Oh Snap said , we like to eat them fresh, have a white flaky flesh, especially good over a campfire. They are also eaten here aged a bit and frozen then dipped in seal oil, or made into agutuk,(Eskimo ice cream)

Alot of the bigger ones are feeding on red backed voles. They catch them swimming and suck them underwater. I watched them do it before. Some will have two or three in their gut.

They could be overfished I see if it was along the road system, they bite so well. Here next month folks will be ice fishing them right after freeze up. I remember seeing gunny sacks of grayling, even dog mushers parking their dogs while they fished them for dog feed through the ice. Never seemed to phase the population here. And now much less are being fished and our salmon are not coming back,egg/smolt eating grayling might be part of the problem. Probably would not hurt to fish them a little harder even.

Interesting.Thanks for sharing.They are a handsome fish.

the wheels of the gods turn very slowly
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread