No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
NV and Thermal Callers #7693859
10/16/22 10:09 PM
10/16/22 10:09 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So I'm very confused about something when it comes to calling at night with thermal or NV. How do you work the wind ? Like preators come into a stand they generally come in downwind on the call right ? Well you want to be down wind of critters right ?.....soooo how are eyiu supposed to position yourself? Because if your downwind and their coming up from the down wind side....seem like they would bump into or walk right past you on the left or right
Sorry if this is kind stupid to ask lol

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 10/16/22 10:20 PM.
Re: NV and Thermal Callers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7693862
10/16/22 10:12 PM
10/16/22 10:12 PM
Louisiana
AirportTrapper Offline
trapper
AirportTrapper  Offline
trapper

Louisiana
Position yourself downwind of the call.

If it makes a track on this earth , I can catch it.
Re: NV and Thermal Callers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7693897
10/16/22 10:45 PM
10/16/22 10:45 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
I hunt with thermals. I usually set up my caller out in the middle of a cut bean field about 100 to 150 yards up wind of my truck. I learned to get way out in the open. Being up close to cover does work but a lot of educated yotes come in from a long ways off down wind. Last year I had one coyote circle down wind about 3/4 miles and then come in. He hit my scent at about 450 to 500 yards and it was BYE BYE. On the back of my truck I made a gun turret that spins 360 degrees as I sit in a chair with the gun held in a vice as I scan the area in a 360 degree circle. I learned to cover my truck as much as you can with burlap. The yotes must of seen the glare off my clearcoat or glass or something. Worked better if I cover it. I heard several rifles going off a long was off some nites. I am sure alot of hunters have thermals or IR now and it won't take long for the yotes to get super smart and change the way they work a distress signal. Called many of my yotes by never playing a distress sound.... only howls or male/female sounds. Picture was before I primed and painted it flat black. [Linked Image]

Last edited by NebrCatMan; 10/16/22 10:51 PM.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: NV and Thermal Callers [Re: NebrCatMan] #7693899
10/16/22 10:54 PM
10/16/22 10:54 PM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
Originally Posted by NebrCatMan
I hunt with thermals. I usually set up my caller out in the middle of a cut bean field about 100 to 150 yards up wind of my truck. I learned to get way out in the open. Being up close to cover does work but a lot of educated yotes come in from a long ways off down wind. Last year I had one coyote circle down wind about 3/4 miles and then come in. He hit my scent at about 450 to 500 yards and it was BYE BYE. On the back of my truck I made a gun turret that spins 360 degrees as I sit in a chair with the gun held in a vice as I scan the area in a 360 degree circle. I learned to cover my truck as much as you can with burlap. The yotes must of seen the glare off my clearcoat or glass or something. Worked better if I cover it. I heard several rifles going off a long was off some nites. I am sure alot of hunters have thermals or IR now and it won't take long for the yotes to get super smart and change the way they work a distress signal. Called many of my yotes by never playing a distress sound.... only howls or male/female sounds. Picture was before I primed and painted it flat black. [Linked Image]

Thank you ! And love you set up. Btw is that a ATN Thor scope and MBA3 stock ? How do you like both of those ?

Re: NV and Thermal Callers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7693901
10/16/22 10:59 PM
10/16/22 10:59 PM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Originally Posted by NebrCatMan

Thank you ! And love you set up. Btw is that a ATN Thor scope and MBA3 stock ? How do you like both of those ?

Hey wolfie.... That is an ATN Thor LT 3x6 320 and the gun is a Windham Weaponary 224 Valkyrie. The stock is factory .... butt plate does extend. I like having the adjustments to mmove and fit where my shoulder or cheek is on the stock. This year I put a Thor LT 5x20 320 new thermal on this gun. Since I had the old Thor LT 3x6 320 now laying around I bought a Rock River Arms LAR in a .223 to put it on. Plan on hunting most every nite come middle of NOV.

Last edited by NebrCatMan; 10/16/22 11:00 PM.

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: NV and Thermal Callers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7693916
10/16/22 11:23 PM
10/16/22 11:23 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Nice seat but big no no in many states in the east. Some have medical disability exceptions though.

[Linked Image]
Re: NV and Thermal Callers [Re: Wolfdog91] #7695790
10/19/22 11:10 AM
10/19/22 11:10 AM
Nebraska
WadeRyan Offline
trapper
WadeRyan  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
I'm with Nebrcatman in the fact I like to put the call quite a ways upwind of me and position myself right where they will come. Open is definitely better with thermal, I use it to my advantage. You can watch them come in from quite a ways. I learned quickly that the coyotes around here can pick out a truck even on those dark black nights. I watched enough catch on that I've found myself walking in at least a 1/4 mile. In the dark I've had them end up in my lap without the truck anywhere near they are a lot more weary with a vehicle anywhere near the call playing the wind, they will definitely come a lot harder at night then they will in the daytime. I feel as though when I first started I was actually having coyotes on top of me that I wouldn't see until it was too late. Take it for what it's worth I am a hobby thermal hunter but I did end at 50 coyotes last year and we did end up with 43 raccoons in a 12 hour time stretch. I've definitely adapted how I initially began hunting them it's a different ball game with thermals. I have been itching to go out this year as I now have the beauty of suppressors at my disposal. I'm actually going to be trying to finesse my .17 for coyotes this year. I was consistently shooting raccoons out to 50-100 yards. It's a little challenge to myself this year to see how far I can get them in.

Last edited by WadeRyan; 10/19/22 11:13 AM.

Follow me on YouTube if you’re bored

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Ulx1woYMmCN3IPLB0wwFw

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread