No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Civil suit on fisher mount(?) #7690890
10/12/22 06:11 PM
10/12/22 06:11 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline OP
trapper
woodchuck  Offline OP
trapper

PA
If you remember about the taxidermist and mounting my fisher then here's where it's at now. Kunkles (former owner who Mounted Memories had taken over and is about the suit not Kunkles) daughter found my fisher. On checking it out found it was only skinned. Tailbone was never taken out or tail split, bones of legs were cut off at knees and elbows so has chunks of meat at these 5 spots (pelt still attached, these bones is where they were cut off at). Never skinned to the paws. Never fleshed so was never tanned which last June she told me it was back from the tanner after 18 months.
So anyways going to file papers tomorrow for a civil suit (never done one before). Buddy is telling me to take all documentation, receipts, phone call dates and what talked about, ladys name and address who did it and lots of pictures of skin plus at hearing to bring my buddys mounted fisher to show what should look like. Assuming there's more I'm forgetting right now.
Question is what amount should file for,to be fair? Going at least for the $500.00 paid for the mount, court costs and price of a new tanned fisher pelt. Does this sound fair? Anything else should be asked for cost wise? Yes it was my first fisher so there will never be another first but... Mine will probably be the first suit in many that will be brought against her (unless others have already filed).

Re: Civil suit on fisher mount(?) [Re: woodchuck] #7690894
10/12/22 06:18 PM
10/12/22 06:18 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Offline
trapper
Jurassic Park  Offline
trapper
J

MB
I’m not sure what the paperwork you signed said when you brought the Fisher in to be mounted, but when someone brings something to me it’s my possession until it’s finished being mounted and paid for.

I’m going to say there’s 99.9% chance you won’t get your money back.

Why don’t you take your Fisher now that it’s found and get it mounted by someone else? No need for a different tanned Fisher.

Cold as ice!
Re: Civil suit on fisher mount(?) [Re: Jurassic Park] #7690898
10/12/22 06:26 PM
10/12/22 06:26 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline OP
trapper
woodchuck  Offline OP
trapper

PA
Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
I’m not sure what the paperwork you signed said when you brought the Fisher in to be mounted, but when someone brings something to me it’s my possession until it’s finished being mounted and paid for.

I’m going to say there’s 99.9% chance you won’t get your money back.

Why don’t you take your Fisher now that it’s found and get it mounted by someone else? No need for a different tanned Fisher.

The fisher is ruined like said. Had another taxidermist looked at it already. Receipts say for a fisher mount and paid in full.

Re: Civil suit on fisher mount(?) [Re: woodchuck] #7690904
10/12/22 06:31 PM
10/12/22 06:31 PM
new york
M
mike mason Offline
trapper
mike mason  Offline
trapper
M

new york
Hard to get blood from a stone!

Re: Civil suit on fisher mount(?) [Re: woodchuck] #7690930
10/12/22 07:01 PM
10/12/22 07:01 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Good luck sounds like a real fiasco. Must be the pelt is so freezer burned it ruined it. I would get at least one more taxidermist to look at it. Keep that pelt because if you recover the cost of the pelt they get to keep it. Bring any and all paperwork. If you don't need it oh well but if you don't have something it could ruin your case. You may win but getting the money out of them is another matter. Lots of people win small claims and still don't get paid from the other party.

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Civil suit on fisher mount(?) [Re: woodchuck] #7690985
10/12/22 08:43 PM
10/12/22 08:43 PM
Jackson Co, KS
N
NEYotetrapper Offline
trapper
NEYotetrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Jackson Co, KS
In the hands of a competent taxidermist I would say the pelt still has a chance, unless I am missing something in the description of it currently. The things I was able to save over the years even amaze me! LOL
Not saying you shouldnt try and recover your lost money, but has already been said that is not likely going to happen and if it does it will drag out for years.

Re: Civil suit on fisher mount(?) [Re: NEYotetrapper] #7691260
10/13/22 08:10 AM
10/13/22 08:10 AM
PA
woodchuck Offline OP
trapper
woodchuck  Offline OP
trapper

PA
Thanks for the help. Just in case. My "tanned" fisher she said is tanned after 18 months.

trapperman fisher 5.jpgtrapperman fisher 3.jpgtrapperman fisher 2.jpg
Re: Civil suit on fisher mount(?) [Re: woodchuck] #7691304
10/13/22 09:08 AM
10/13/22 09:08 AM
Warren Co. New Jersey
N
NJTrapper Offline
trapper
NJTrapper  Offline
trapper
N

Warren Co. New Jersey
From looking at those pictures, and the hide was kept frozen all along, that skin is still usable. Long as no hair is slipping. It needs to be fleshed, split and turned, and then salted to be sent to the tannery. The feet may be freezer burned, but a competent taxidermist should be able to make that hide work. As I said, your first fisher may still be your first fisher.

Re: Civil suit on fisher mount(?) [Re: NJTrapper] #7691316
10/13/22 09:29 AM
10/13/22 09:29 AM
NC, Orange Co.
QuietButDeadly Offline
trapper
QuietButDeadly  Offline
trapper

NC, Orange Co.
Originally Posted by NJTrapper
From looking at those pictures, and the hide was kept frozen all along, that skin is still usable. Long as no hair is slipping. It needs to be fleshed, split and turned, and then salted to be sent to the tannery. The feet may be freezer burned, but a competent taxidermist should be able to make that hide work. As I said, your first fisher may still be your first fisher.

I agree. I certainly would be having a serious discussion with another experienced taxidermist or two before I gave up on your actual hide since you seem pretty sure that is your hide.

Life Member: NCTA, VTA, NTA, TTFHA, MFTI
Member: FTA NRA NWTF
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread