No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: Rye] #7635545
07/26/22 12:35 PM
07/26/22 12:35 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Rye
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Has sleepy Joe gotten to these things too? My jaw about hit the floor when we started looking around at prices. Throw some string lights up in an old barn and charge 10k for it. I think I picked the wrong profession

If you append the word "Wedding" to anything, it goes up by a multiplier of at least 3, often 4.

DO NOT go into Debt for a wedding! Absolutely stupid idea to begin a marriage in debt.

So the word wedding is equal to the word horse.

A stock trailer much less and is more versatile than the same size horse trailer. Add hores to anything and the price goes up.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635550
07/26/22 12:39 PM
SW Georgia
W
Wanna Be Offline
trapper
Wanna Be  Offline
trapper
W

SW Georgia
You’re better off paying off the groom and bride to elope. Tell them you’ll give them $3-5K to spend on their honeymoon.
My sons wedding was actually cheaper so I’m glad they didn’t take my offer, lol! Between both sides of the family, we have a lot of friends and people who owned just the right businesses to keep everything including rehearsal dinner under $3K.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635551
American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
S
swift4me Offline
trapper
swift4me  Offline
trapper
S

American In the Pyrenees; Fran...
Like Providence Farm said.

My wife and I got married in 1986. We had the church ceremony at the oldest Catholic church in San Francisco and it cost us $400 for the church and the guy who played the organ. Then everybody drove about 2 hours north to a great piece of land that a friend owned next to a river, and we had a huge party there. We provided water, beer, wine and BBQ chicken legs. Everything else was potluck and people were very generous. The party cost us about $1,000 including tables and chairs for about 150 people.

To this day I have old friends, including my brother in law, who tell me it was the best wedding they ever went to. People could sit in the shade and tell stories, or swim in the river, or do whatever they wanted, and dogs were welcome.

I wish you the best of luck with the wedding and your marriage. But even if you have the money to spend, keep things simple. It is the day, the moments with friends and the photos that will stand the test of time.

Pete

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635552
07/26/22 12:41 PM
07/26/22 12:41 PM
Tennessee
Scuba1 Offline
"color blind Kraut"
Scuba1  Offline
"color blind Kraut"

Tennessee
The price of the wedding venue pales in comparison what the marriage will cost you in the long run grin

Let's go Brandon

"Shall not comply" with morons who don't understand "shall not infringe."
Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: Scuba1] #7635567
07/26/22 12:54 PM
07/26/22 12:54 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Scuba1
The price of the wedding venue pales in comparison what the marriage will cost you in the long run grin

I couldn't afford to not be married. All the going out and Chasing women every weekend and expense of dating new ones, trips to the clinic to get checked out, would have been much higher.

Well on 2nd thought add the cost of the kids, collage for kids, and on and on I may be wrong in that first statement.

I do believe Marring my wife is the best thing I have ever done.

I forgot to add she made our wedding cake also. There is next to nothing that woman can't do.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635576
07/26/22 01:05 PM
07/26/22 01:05 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Son in law had two fixed up barns for weddings, he got 5-6 grand a wedding for the bigger one that had ac, kitchen and bathrooms. 4k for the smaller one that just had bathrooms.

Sold them this spring.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635582
07/26/22 01:13 PM
07/26/22 01:13 PM
Iowa
~ADC~ Offline
The Count
~ADC~  Offline
The Count

Iowa
Let your bride plan the wedding! All of it! Make no suggestions and agree to whatever she wants.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: cathryn] #7635624
07/26/22 02:25 PM
07/26/22 02:25 PM
MD
D
DaveP Offline
trapper
DaveP  Offline
trapper
D

MD
Originally Posted by cathryn
Is her family paying for the wedding or are yall?

If you are my advice is only spend as much as you can pay in cash.

Don't go in debt for a wedding.

Why start out your married life paying off a huge wedding debt?

In 20 years you guys will.say..what were we thinking sp3nding a that money on a wedding.

As for the rings? Your just as married with simple matching gold bands as you are with a 10,000.00.diamond.

Just an old woman's.s thoughts whos been there's.lol

I think we spent about $1000 on our wedding, including my suit, her dress, rings, and honeymoon.
That was in the '80s.
Still happily married.

I've noticed an inverse relationship between cost of wedding and longevity of marriage.

Held reception on banks of mighty, muddy, Patuxent River, our families took care of cooking and drinks.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635639
07/26/22 03:02 PM
07/26/22 03:02 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
And REMEMBER THIS !!

The number of weeks that a Woman is HAPPY, is DIRECTLY proportional to the number of Carats in the Diamond Ring that you give her !!

The rule states 1 Carat per Week of Happiness. So , that works out to a 4 Carat Diamond PER MONTH !! YES, YOUR WIFE WILL REQUIRE A NEW 4 CARAT RING EVERY MONTH!! grin

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635646
07/26/22 03:18 PM
07/26/22 03:18 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Ours was free. And so was the reception hall. We got married at our favorite spot at the lake, nice open grassy hill overlooking the lake. We had our reception at the marina, the owners were kind enough to let us use their dance hall for free, probably because they knew they’d make bank at the bar they set up in there lol.

My mom and aunt made a bunch of ground beef and chicken and set up a make-your-own a taco bar for dinner, and since my brothers girlfriends dad owns a butcher shop we got a discount on the meat, so about $300 to feed 50 people as much as they could eat and then some.
The DJ cost $500. We bought enough Champaign and wine to get everyone a glass or two and after that they were on their own for drinks, I think that was another $300 or $400.
My clothes were about $250. The kids clothes were $200. My wife’s dress was the most expensive part of our wedding lol $1400 for that. My mom and aunt and my wife’s sisters are all good photographers so that was free too. My cousin owned a bakery at the time, so cake was also free.

We did it cheap, but it was still a wonderful ceremony and reception. Everything was awesome. All told I think it was right around $3,400

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635648
07/26/22 03:20 PM
07/26/22 03:20 PM
Northern Nevada
B
Bob Offline
trapper
Bob  Offline
trapper
B

Northern Nevada
Oh my wife’s ring, that was $900 and mine was $600, so $4500 all in

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635682
07/26/22 04:22 PM
07/26/22 04:22 PM
West Virginia,age 49
cathryn Offline
bvr-takr-upr
cathryn  Offline
bvr-takr-upr

West Virginia,age 49
Originally Posted by coondagger2
Is her family paying for the wedding or are yall?

If you are my advice is only spend as much as you can pay in cash.

Don't go in debt for a wedding.

Why start out your married life paying off a huge wedding debt?

In 20 years you guys will.say..what were we thinking sp3nding a that money on a wedding.

As for the rings? Your just as married with simple matching gold bands as you are with a 10,000.00.diamond.

Just an old woman's.s thoughts whos been there's.lol

I don't owe a dime on anything I own, including her ring. I can promise you we won't go into debt for the wedding

No wonder she said yes.lol

Seriously.. Jerry and i don't owe for anything we have either.

Its nice to o to bed without the worry of owing a bunch of payments..

Still the less ya spend the more for savings.

IF IDIOTS GREW ON TREES THIS PLACE WOULD BE AN ORCHARD !

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: cathryn] #7635690
07/26/22 04:29 PM
07/26/22 04:29 PM
NC - Here there and everywhere
C
coondagger2 Offline OP
"Brat"
coondagger2  Offline OP
"Brat"
C

NC - Here there and everywhere
No wonder she said yes.lol

Seriously.. Jerry and i don't owe for anything we have either.

Its nice to o to bed without the worry of owing a bunch of payments..

Still the less ya spend the more for savings.

That's the way to do it! We will be taking out a mortgage in the next year but as far as vehicles and all of that we are not in debt. Me and her both paid our schooling as we went so we are not in debt for college. I am blessed to have someone who does not accumulate debt, couldn't imagine marrying someone with piles of it and then that debt becoming mine

Gotta live up to the nickname...
Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635719
07/26/22 05:00 PM
07/26/22 05:00 PM
AR
T
TurkeyWrangler Offline
trapper
TurkeyWrangler  Offline
trapper
T

AR
I know of one way out in the middle of nowhere on a small state highway. Out in an old cow pasture they built a huge barn looking thing and call it an event center. I drive by there every now and then and often there is something going on. I guess places are hard to find and folks are willing to drive. When I first heard about it I figured they would go broke fast but it's been going several years now.

Poor people have poor ways.
Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635723
07/26/22 05:08 PM
07/26/22 05:08 PM
Central Pennsylvania
Nittany Lion Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister
Nittany Lion  Offline
Don't call me Mister, Mister

Central Pennsylvania
Two wedding venues have popped up in my area over the past few years, I have no clue what they charge, but I think each put a good bit of money in them. It should be noted I live in a rural area, I never thought they would go over very well, but they seem to being doing a pretty good business.

I got myself a seniors' GPS.
Not only does it tell me how to get to my destination,
it tells me why I wanted to go there.
Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635741
07/26/22 05:36 PM
07/26/22 05:36 PM
Minnesota
Northernbeaver Offline
trapper
Northernbeaver  Offline
trapper

Minnesota
Food, liquor, equipment rentals, table cloths and misc decorations we spent around 6k.
Got married in a park pavilion in the rain then had a reception at my in laws farm. It was a mud pit from the rain but everyone had a blast under the tents, except her aunt that fell in front of the outhouse and busted her teeth.

Venues here range from 8-12,000.00 some more, some less. It really depends what you want.
The best wedding events I've ever been to were outside under a big tent.

The official Trapping Across the World Discord server.

https://discord.gg/AsdrzB5XgE
Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: TurkeyWrangler] #7635744
07/26/22 05:50 PM
07/26/22 05:50 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
I know of one way out in the middle of nowhere on a small state highway. Out in an old cow pasture they built a huge barn looking thing and call it an event center. I drive by there every now and then and often there is something going on. I guess places are hard to find and folks are willing to drive. When I first heard about it I figured they would go broke fast but it's been going several years now.

Here are my thoughts . I own the land and need a new building for my wife to teach classes. So I can make the building larger and nicer looking and utilize it for wedding and events. I can leverage my assets including my wife's talent in planing, organizing, and cooking. It will cost me noting more than the price of the building I want anyway but has the potential to be a nice money maker. I also have a 2 story log cabin built in 1830 for a draw. Add some old tractors maturing fruit trees, I can plant sunflowers all great for people to take photos with , I can add have a pumpkin patch, corn maze, rolls of roses hay rides, and on and on. Lots of options and potential. All it coast is the building and any other improvement cost I want to do anyway. Its all tax deductible and I don't need it for income. All money made will go directly back into the farm for mor improvements.

Maybe they are something like that. Heck if they only book 5 or 6 events for say 5 grand that's 25 or 30 k a year and goes a long way toward paying for that building.

Now if you had to buy the land, build, advertising, and needed the income to live on it would be tougher. But not everyone starts out with nothing. I plan on building on what I allready have.

I even thought building a small little white church on my hill would be nice.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7635756
07/26/22 06:11 PM
07/26/22 06:11 PM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio
Seen wedding pics from my Grandparents’ . Suit and tie/ nice dress. No tuxedo or wedding gown. Held in church, reception at their parents house. Food prepared by family and friends. Point being they would be aghast at the expense and vanity of modern weddings. Take that money and invest in your future.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: tomahawker] #7636176
07/27/22 11:12 AM
07/27/22 11:12 AM
havelock, NC
Rye Offline
trapper
Rye  Offline
trapper

havelock, NC
Originally Posted by tomahawker
Seen wedding pics from my Grandparents’ . Suit and tie/ nice dress. No tuxedo or wedding gown. Held in church, reception at their parents house. Food prepared by family and friends. Point being they would be aghast at the expense and vanity of modern weddings. Take that money and invest in your future.

This!!!

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first. "
--Mark Twain.

Re: Let's talk about the price of wedding venues... [Re: coondagger2] #7636216
07/27/22 12:31 PM
07/27/22 12:31 PM
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
My wife and I got hitched at the local Justice of the Peace after a forty-year engagement, total cost was less than $100.00.

Eh...wot?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread