No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Another taxidermy question #7629615
07/18/22 01:02 PM
07/18/22 01:02 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline OP
trapper
woodchuck  Offline OP
trapper

PA
Had asked here about 8 months ago but was wondering if this sounds right (at the time only 1 person had said 1 1/2 years to get it back was possible but unlikely).
I got my first fisher on 12/20/20 and took it in that day to a local taxidermist my Dad used years ago (which since was taken over by his daughter I believe it is) and was very satisfied with. They required payment in full before anything would be done and I paid that right then ($500.00 and had to be cash). Called about 6 months later and was told it was at the tanners (she said this before I said my name but only said that I had brought in a fisher). This was the same response got when next called 3 months later and then again 3 months later at the end of November 2021. I decided to wait till it had been 18 months and called 6/21/22 and was told she had it back from the tanners (again just saying I brought a fisher in) and was now waiting on a form. Shouldn't a form had already been ordered? How long does it usually take to get a form? Does this sound like maybe getting a run around and possibly the fisher was lost or ruined before it went to the tanners? Is going in and demanding the tanned pelt back plus cash back (how much does the tanning cost usually) an option for me to check on or is it frowned upon? She did say on 6/21/22 when I called and was told she had the fisher back that as soon as the form came in she get right on it.

Re: Another taxidermy question [Re: woodchuck] #7629623
07/18/22 01:11 PM
07/18/22 01:11 PM
Aliceville, Kansas 43
Yukon John Offline
trapper
Yukon John  Offline
trapper

Aliceville, Kansas 43
Idk, I called a guy about a duck this spring (before I took it) he said it would be summer 23 before I'd get it back. No money down, but I paid 1/2. Talked to another guy, about other things in general, he says getting supplies is ridiculously slow, and tanner's are even slower! Hope it works out for you!

Act like a blank, get treated like a blank. Insert your own blank!
Re: Another taxidermy question [Re: woodchuck] #7629626
07/18/22 01:14 PM
07/18/22 01:14 PM
MB
J
Jurassic Park Online content
trapper
Jurassic Park  Online Content
trapper
J

MB
Measurements of the pelt are usually done after tanning so that makes sense that she waited to get it back from the tannery before ordering the form.
I would be hopeful that she’ll be mounting it soon. It could take any where’s from 1 week to 8 weeks for her to get that form from the supplier.
I would call her back in December if you haven’t gotten it back by then. It’ll be 2 years then and that’s a good wait!

If you take it back and bring it to a different taxidermist, you might wait a year or again 2 years for them to mount it.

I would leave it with her and hope it gets mounted soon.

Cold as ice!
Re: Another taxidermy question [Re: woodchuck] #7629673
07/18/22 02:24 PM
07/18/22 02:24 PM
kansas
L
larrywaugh Offline
trapper
larrywaugh  Offline
trapper
L

kansas
My guess is that she is swamped with work and is just now getting to yours. A taxidermist being. 2 years behind is not unheard of. Did you ask for a time frame when you dropped it off?

Won't take no prisoners,won't spare no lives.
Re: Another taxidermy question [Re: larrywaugh] #7629844
07/18/22 06:49 PM
07/18/22 06:49 PM
PA
woodchuck Offline OP
trapper
woodchuck  Offline OP
trapper

PA
Nope, didn't ask when it may be done, just assumed (yeah I know what they say about assuming). I'm usually patient but my buddy got his a week after me and took it to a taxidermist he uses (I'm not quite satisfied with his final touch ups. He got his back in under 6 months. But I will say the taxidermist he uses will tan smaller ones himself but send out the deer, bear, etc.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread