No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602355
06/10/22 07:50 PM
06/10/22 07:50 PM
Central Indiana
dakota741 Offline
trapper
dakota741  Offline
trapper

Central Indiana
Thanks for all the information! The more I look into it, the more the Glock 17 seems to be very popular!

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602367
06/10/22 07:58 PM
06/10/22 07:58 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
[Linked Image] this is my 3gun rig
[Linked Image]
Vs. My IDPA rig

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: dakota741] #7602371
06/10/22 08:05 PM
06/10/22 08:05 PM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by dakota741
Thanks for all the information! The more I look into it, the more the Glock 17 seems to be very popular!

Yes, and the G34

You’ll be fine with a 17.

I usually shoot a G19, G21, G30 (don’t like the pinch on my hand during reloads), Springfield XDS or XDM.

As stated above, check magazine prices. My wife shoots a Sig and her mags are like $40 each.

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602372
06/10/22 08:06 PM
06/10/22 08:06 PM
meadowview, Virginia
E
EdP Offline
trapper
EdP  Offline
trapper
E

meadowview, Virginia
Flintlock rifle for me at the local club shoots. I was a top competitor until cataracts wrecked my eyesight. Had a couple of down years but I am back in my best form after cataract surgery earlier this year. Other shooters are every bit as good but I am again a threat to come in on top at each match.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: DelawareRob] #7602401
06/10/22 09:05 PM
06/10/22 09:05 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by DelawareRob
Originally Posted by dakota741

Yes, and the G34

You’ll be fine with a 17.

I usually shoot a G19, G21, G30 (don’t like the pinch on my hand during reloads), Springfield XDS or XDM.

As stated above, check magazine prices. My wife shoots a Sig and her mags are like $40 each.

part of what makes the 17 so popular is it is like a 10/22 and an AR-15 all the after market parts you could dream of

I don't really like my G19 in USPSA the grip is a little small and yes pinches happen
I run the mags with a pinki rest and use that gun for carry and If I get pinched on that reload if there is one I will just get over it.

I don't care for the G34 as much as my 17 my son likes the 34 and 19 are his
it seems flippy in my hand compared to my 17
I have the 17s' and 19

Last edited by GREENCOUNTYPETE; 06/10/22 09:10 PM.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602402
06/10/22 09:07 PM
06/10/22 09:07 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
what shot shell carrier is that , I need to come up with something better for shot shells I have been thinking about building a chest rig they like to do jungle runs at the range we go to those can go easily 25-30 rounds

Originally Posted by Wallace

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602408
06/10/22 09:18 PM
06/10/22 09:18 PM
Virginia
52Carl Offline
trapper
52Carl  Offline
trapper

Virginia
I came real close to beating down one of those fancy competition shooters one day at a range. I believe that it was a pistol match on the other side of this huge shooting facility.
I was a 4-H rifle instructor on a 50 yard range which was reserved for my 9-18 year old kids. They were on the line in the prone position. The range had been declared hot. Next thing I know, these two guys roll in like they own the place and slipped in from the side. One fella dressed in what looked like a cross between what a golfer and a flyfisherman would wear. He had a sidearm on him, and the other fella had his sidearm out and was aiming it down range while the first fella was giving him some grip instruction.
I hollered out CEASE FIRE and proceeded to ask the first guy what did he think he was doing? He said, "We were just going over some final tips of this guys grip."
I told him in no uncertain terms that he was not welcome on my range, that this range was hot and y'all just crossed my firing line.
I asked him who he was. He gave me his name. I then asked him, "Who in the )%&$ do you think you are?!" "What makes you think you can barge in on someone else's hot range?!"
I then told him to remove himself from my range. He responded with, "No problem." I then let him know that yes, it is a big problem, and to leave now before I lose my temper. (I already had, but it was all I could do not to completely lose it. Having a bunch of kids on the line helped).
So, as you can probably infer, I do not have much appreciation of the "sport" which these two fellas were a party to.
I was trying to introduce a bunch of well-behaved kids to the shooting sports and I run into this guy. Sorry to you boys who are into your sport, but this guy really soured me on it.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602418
06/10/22 09:33 PM
06/10/22 09:33 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Yeah 52Carl, that guy needed that. He wouldn’t have lasted at my range either. You were nice about it too.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7602450
06/10/22 10:10 PM
06/10/22 10:10 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
what shot shell carrier is that , I need to come up with something better for shot shells I have been thinking about building a chest rig they like to do jungle runs at the range we go to those can go easily 25-30 rounds

Originally Posted by Wallace

Those are 2x4 Johnjy Clips. They are ok for the price. If I had to do it over I would probably go a different route. But they don't hold me back.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: 52Carl] #7602464
06/10/22 10:27 PM
06/10/22 10:27 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I came real close to beating down one of those fancy competition shooters one day at a range. I believe that it was a pistol match on the other side of this huge shooting facility.
I was a 4-H rifle instructor on a 50 yard range which was reserved for my 9-18 year old kids. They were on the line in the prone position. The range had been declared hot. Next thing I know, these two guys roll in like they own the place and slipped in from the side. One fella dressed in what looked like a cross between what a golfer and a flyfisherman would wear. He had a sidearm on him, and the other fella had his sidearm out and was aiming it down range while the first fella was giving him some grip instruction.
I hollered out CEASE FIRE and proceeded to ask the first guy what did he think he was doing? He said, "We were just going over some final tips of this guys grip."
I told him in no uncertain terms that he was not welcome on my range, that this range was hot and y'all just crossed my firing line.
I asked him who he was. He gave me his name. I then asked him, "Who in the )%&$ do you think you are?!" "What makes you think you can barge in on someone else's hot range?!"
I then told him to remove himself from my range. He responded with, "No problem." I then let him know that yes, it is a big problem, and to leave now before I lose my temper. (I already had, but it was all I could do not to completely lose it. Having a bunch of kids on the line helped).
So, as you can probably infer, I do not have much appreciation of the "sport" which these two fellas were a party to.
I was trying to introduce a bunch of well-behaved kids to the shooting sports and I run into this guy. Sorry to you boys who are into your sport, but this guy really soured me on it.

I instruct 4-H rifle , Pistol , muzzle loader and shotgun. I wouldn't have accepted that on my range either.

had they pulled that on USPSA range they would have been DQed and done for the day.

break the 180 and your done for the day . make ready before the command and your out of there DQ

so they should have known better and they were trying to go where they could be not seen by a RO to do something they shouldn't have.
any event I have been to has been very safe rather than a line one person shoots at a time , the RO is right behind them as they navigate the stage.

sorry for your bad experience , it isn't everyone.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602474
06/10/22 10:34 PM
06/10/22 10:34 PM
North East Kansas
Marty Offline
trapper
Marty  Offline
trapper

North East Kansas
one shoot I was at a jackwad who disabled the internal safties on a glock to get a better time was at the firing line..racked a round and the gun discharged..my son was standing like 2 feet away. Then the jackwad threw a tantrum when the dq'ed him.

E
'Honey Badger Militia'
Sleep, the anti woke adote.
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7602478
06/10/22 10:36 PM
06/10/22 10:36 PM
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I instruct 4-H rifle , Pistol , muzzle loader and shotgun. I wouldn't have accepted that on my range either.

had they pulled that on USPSA range they would have been DQed and done for the day.

break the 180 and your done for the day . make ready before the command and your out of there DQ

so they should have known better and they were trying to go where they could be not seen by a RO to do something they shouldn't have.
any event I have been to has been very safe rather than a line one person shoots at a time , the RO is right behind them as they navigate the stage.

sorry for your bad experience , it isn't everyone.

What he said!

He would have been gone real quick.

Who is John Galt?

Semper Paratus
Re: Competitive shooting [Re: 52Carl] #7602672
06/11/22 09:26 AM
06/11/22 09:26 AM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas

Sounds to me like your fancy competition shooter was a moron and unfortunately influencing an inexperienced shooter that didn't know any better. If your fancy dude knew anything he would have done that at one of the safe areas scattered across the range. At every event I've ever shot at they would have been sent home. I hate that you experienced this. It is a shame that it soured you on an entire sport. At least the hundreds of people I shoot with are well disciplined and take range safety seriously.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602709
06/11/22 10:29 AM
06/11/22 10:29 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
do any of you RO ?

I am an NRA RSO and obviously 4-H

I am thinking of going to the USPSA RO training.every squad needs a couple

I have been enjoying not being in charge of everything like I was at 4-H I passed my role in 4-H off to a new chair and now just instruct. I get the part I enjoy and not the paperwork.

I will run the tablet scoring currently whenever needed at stages , help with set up sometimes if it is day of and tear down after a match.

if you can not be on 100% of the time it makes it much more enjoyable , if too few people RO then it becomes a job for that one person and as others pointed out it stops being fun when it becomes a job.

we have had a very good squad and everyone helps with the reset.
on practiscore you can see who you are squad-ed with , when we first got started we just squad-ed anywhere then started to get to know some people and now there is a group of us that no one is super serious about scores everyone is trying out new equipment and using matches to test and improve themselves. it is a fun group.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7602818
06/11/22 01:13 PM
06/11/22 01:13 PM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline OP
trapper
Wallace  Offline OP
trapper
W

Arkansas
I am not an RO but usually get handed the timer and run the RO and the shooter before while the RO is on deck. They took the tablet away from me, lol.

Re: Competitive shooting [Re: Wallace] #7603692
06/12/22 04:06 PM
06/12/22 04:06 PM
WI>>>MN >>>WI
T-Rex Offline
trapper
T-Rex  Offline
trapper

WI>>>MN >>>WI
I can't really claim to shoot competitively. but, have been on a trap shooting league for more than 20 years.

By some kind of a fluke the team the wife and I are on did win first place for the winter league. It was by the hair on our chinny chin chins, and neither the wife or I really contributed substantially.

Man who mistake shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread