No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Marlin XL7 #7590836
05/25/22 09:00 AM
05/25/22 09:00 AM
NY
Coonsnightmare Offline OP
trapper
Coonsnightmare  Offline OP
trapper

NY
Hey everyone! It's been years since I've posted here. I Believe I was 16 when I last circled around this ole watering hole. I'm 25 now and it's great to be back and speaking with like minded people after having the endure a college filled with liberals.

Anywho. I bought a seemingly brand new Marlin XL7 the other day. My first gun purchase in about 5 years, and my first ever rifle purchase for myself. Seeing as the last model year for this gun was 1998, I can only assume someone won it in a raffle and just never used it. It's in 30-06.
I was going to buy myself a Browning X-Bolt but I couldn't pass up an original Marlin in brand new condition for half the price.
I threw a Sig Sauer buckmaster 12x on there to really reach out.

Does anyone else own this gun? And you tell me anything else about it? I also have a wood stock but I wasn't sure if it is original.

IMG_20220523_062359168.jpg

One Shot One kill
Think Smarter than the Snake
Re: Marlin XL7 [Re: Coonsnightmare] #7590840
05/25/22 09:05 AM
05/25/22 09:05 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
those marlins were actually very good rifles , Remington didn't like the competition with the 700 so when they bought Marlin they stopped the bolt action production

I don't own one personally but know a few who do and they get nice groups

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Marlin XL7 [Re: Coonsnightmare] #7590861
05/25/22 09:41 AM
05/25/22 09:41 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
if it truly is a new unshot barrel , you do well to clean the copper out after about 40 rounds

some people do the clean , shoot 2 clean shoot 2 clean and they get it done in a few less rounds

but clean , go sight in and shoot some then clean it will take a little longer to clean but cleaning at the range every 2 rounds is a pain.

there are all sorts of barrel break in procedures it basically gets the machining in the barrel smoothed out and then you clean the copper that came off the bullets and stuck to the barrel , then you can go hundreds of rounds before needing to clean the copper again on a 30-06.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread