No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Mortar mix, rebuild brick chimney top? #7581433
05/10/22 05:02 PM
05/10/22 05:02 PM
Maine
C
cmbb Offline OP
trapper
cmbb  Offline OP
trapper
C

Maine
Gentlemen;

What would be the right mortar for red brick chimney with a terracotta liner? Type N ?

I need to tear down the old section, to the lead flashing and redo with new brick. Below the roof line looks good.

Thank you

Re: Mortar mix, rebuild brick chimney top? [Re: cmbb] #7581444
05/10/22 05:32 PM
05/10/22 05:32 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
You'll be fine with type N. The biggest consideration for chimney life IMO is how you cap it. You want to isolate the liner from the masonry mass where it projects through the top of the chimney. You don't want the liner locked/bonded to the brick. Provide a slip of some means to allow the chimney liner to expand upward without taking the brick with it. You don't need much, just a 1/4" will do it.

Re: Mortar mix, rebuild brick chimney top? [Re: Posco] #7581589
05/10/22 08:38 PM
05/10/22 08:38 PM
Maine
C
cmbb Offline OP
trapper
cmbb  Offline OP
trapper
C

Maine
Thank you!

A piece of foam around the liner and some good caulking over?

I will also be putting a stainless 4 or 5 inch flex liner in the terracotta with the appropiate weather cap after the rebuild. This is for replacing wood stove with pellet stove.

Re: Mortar mix, rebuild brick chimney top? [Re: cmbb] #7581626
05/10/22 09:11 PM
05/10/22 09:11 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Offline
trapper
Posco  Offline
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by cmbb
Thank you!

A piece of foam around the liner and some good caulking over?

I will also be putting a stainless 4 or 5 inch flex liner in the terracotta with the appropiate weather cap after the rebuild. This is for replacing wood stove with pellet stove.

Foam, cardboard or the like. Once you have your cement cap in place and it hardens up, you can trim the foam flush with the cap and put a bead of caulking around it. I like the clear silicone but it doesn't really matter.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread