No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Hog Hunt Around Ohio #7523595
03/10/22 12:21 PM
03/10/22 12:21 PM
Northeast Ohio
zook Offline OP
trapper
zook  Offline OP
trapper

Northeast Ohio
Want to take my kids on a hog hunt maybe next fall. They are 8 and 10 something fun to do with them. Anyone have good experience with a place within driving distance of OH?

Can't kill em sittin at home.
Re: Hog Hunt Around Ohio [Re: zook] #7523607
03/10/22 12:37 PM
03/10/22 12:37 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Online content
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Online Content
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
I don't know about hog hunts , there are some places that do nice pheasant hunts.

we have a youth days here where kids go around to stations and learn different skills then get a 2 bird pheasant hunt , the birds are in small fenced spots hidden in the tall grass and happy to stay there until the dog is practically on them then they fly nearly strait up.

preparing for the hunt is nearly the most fun part , building their skills and getting them ready

some 20ga shotguns guns that you can buy a spare but stock for and cut down to fit them

I learned a trick if you drill 2 holes for dowles up through the stock then cut the stock , as they grow an inch some dowel pins and glue and you put the stock right back together then when full grown it is complete again

it looks a little rough but you can put the replacement stock on it

or get a few replacement stocks and have one for each length cut

trap and skeet is fun and good practice for the whole family

wing shooting is a good skill to have

you could probably do it a lot more local and have a great time with the kids without breaking budget

you can even buy pheasants here you could probably make a live trap that had a release door rather than a capture door and stage birds if you wanted but after a while just go out and release a few

I love pheasant hunting with my son and neighbor here the DNR releases birds on some public land not far away , we take off an after noon a week in the fall to go chase them.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Hog Hunt Around Ohio [Re: zook] #7523610
03/10/22 12:39 PM
03/10/22 12:39 PM
WV
G
garymc Offline
trapper
garymc  Offline
trapper
G

WV
Several hunting preserves in Ohio that can get you into hogs and a decent environment for kids. I have been to Double D Ranch and Saltcreek Hunting Preserve both over the years with groups of kids. They are in SE of Ohio east of Chillocothe.

Re: Hog Hunt Around Ohio [Re: garymc] #7523644
03/10/22 01:12 PM
03/10/22 01:12 PM
Northeast Ohio
zook Offline OP
trapper
zook  Offline OP
trapper

Northeast Ohio
Thanks Yea saw them both on Google just don't know anyone whose been to them.

Can't kill em sittin at home.
Re: Hog Hunt Around Ohio [Re: zook] #7523672
03/10/22 01:40 PM
03/10/22 01:40 PM
Ohio
Hunting G Offline
trapper
Hunting G  Offline
trapper

Ohio
Some public allows primative camping, some you have to backpack into. Could always go squirrel hunting/camping trip! Or early deer season.

-Lydia

What you do today matters. Pass it on
Always stay Humble and Kind
OSTA- NTA
Re: Hog Hunt Around Ohio [Re: zook] #7523704
03/10/22 02:01 PM
03/10/22 02:01 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Around Zaleski and Tar Hollow are the only places i know of that still get mentioned as having hogs. Hardly hear about hogs anymore and if someone does have em, they are tight lipped about it.

Re: Hog Hunt Around Ohio [Re: zook] #7523710
03/10/22 02:05 PM
03/10/22 02:05 PM
Champaign County, Ohio.
KeithC Offline
trapper
Happy Birthday KeithC  Offline
trapper

Champaign County, Ohio.
There are breeding populations of escaped or released, Russian wild boar in the Wayne National Forest and from around Kiser Lake to over 40 miles out.

I've driven by the Double D Ranch at 58501 US-50, McArthur, OH 45651, many times. It does fenced hunts. You can see some of the animals from the road sometimes.

Keith

Re: Hog Hunt Around Ohio [Re: zook] #7523789
03/10/22 03:42 PM
03/10/22 03:42 PM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Anywhere in the country is driving distance to some of us, what is "driving distance to you "

I shot a boar down in Florida when the family vacation was a Disney. It was quick over a feeder and I was back and had breakfast with the family. The guid was surprised I shot a "trophy" boar said there were not many of those around. I guess a trophy is anything with over 1" tusk?

I know nothing about pigs I live in Indiana. He to me to a trail in the dark and said walk it tell you see a stand I told him that and asked how to know what a good one was. He said pick one out that's about the size of a lab, they will hang back for 5 min or so letting the smaller ones come out first.

The feeder went off and the pigs came running. It was still dark and I couldn't see my x on the black pigs, and I could not get s clean shot at the ball of moving black. I waited for the sun to creep up more. I was starting to wonder how long the corn was going to last. But like he said a short time later 3 bigger pigs walked out and joined the black rolling mess of hogs. And I could not get on and follow one and get a clean shot with hitting more with a pass through. THEN a pig 1/3 bigger than the big ones walked out and I though there is my pig.

He entered the mass of pigs but the sun was up a bit higher and the pigs were spreading out some looking for corn that they. missed So after a few minutes I got a clear shot. I wanted the skull for a friend that was doing skull mounts with bugs so he could display something other than deer and I wanted it to drop not get into the swamp so I shot it in the neck. The shot from the suppressed 7mm08 was quiet but the pigs scattered briefly , returning to search for corn even rooted and pushed the dead pig around.

I got down and decided to go for a walk. It was my first trip to Florida not all in town and I wanted to see the land. I txt the guid to tell him he responded watch out for rattle snakes. It was the first time I saw how much damage hogs can due to a place. I got close to another pig on my walk and was going to shoot it with my glock but passed on that. It would have been about killing one with my glock but the thing was slipping through the thick undergrowthand when I could see it it was very close. I lined the sights up on its head then I thought heck it would be like shooting one in the barn and a .22 would have the same result. Plus it would cost more I'd I shot it so I let it walk.

Upon inspection of my pig the 7mm barns tsx severed it's spine exactly as planed and keep going. The pig had 1 3/4" tusk and worms in the meat. Tasty....

I killed a free ranging wild pig on a caned hunt over a feeder. Got to see the swamp and back in time for breakfast with the family. Would I do it again not for me but maybe for the kids. But it's just not our style of hunting.

My boys are 9 and 11 both killed a few deer I for the 9 year old to date 11 for the 11 year old. Not sure how that happened. I want an area with pigs we can be be turned loose and hunt in. But my boys hunt scouting and picking their own spots now. You did not say what lever you kids are at so a feeder with good solid rest may be what your looking for?

I was thinking Texas or Florida because they have the most pigs but a thought and conversation with the wife is as far as I have got so far. But a cheaper hunt with fair success rate sounds interesting for the kids. I'm watching this with interest.

Boy that was long winded and gave no info on what you asked. How far is driving distance to you?

Last edited by Providence Farm; 03/10/22 03:43 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread