No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP #7513419
03/01/22 08:05 AM
03/01/22 08:05 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Yesterday I met a man in the hospital here in Dallas who was looking forward to resting in peace. RIP as we call it.
His name I won't share but the verbatim might paint a picture for some who also seek rest. Peace in this life.
But for this verbatim, I'll call him Rick.

Rick was 68 and he died yesterday of kidney failure. They are no medical reasons a doctor can list as cause of death that don't include the imagery of "failure." Kidney failure is one of many diagnosis of failure.

Rick said he grew up in Pennsylvania. On a small farm. Big family. He was married "several" times and he told me that in all his life, it was "ups and downs." A lot of both.
As a chaplain, my ministry presence is one of listening, and so I just listened because the medical staff had told me Rick wasn't doing well.
He was weak but sincere describing times in his life where things had "messed up..." he had "messed up big time."
I asked him what he meant by messed up?
Rick said he was looking for some - rest.
I said rest?
He said yes. He took drugs as a kid, looking to escape. Took a lot of drugs.
Said he had a super sweet Nova back in the day and what a time he had in PA, with all the girls and drinking. Everybody did it back then. He said he was "looking" with all the drinking and girls.
I said, "Looking?"
He said, "Yah, to fit in. To be the best. To sit back and relax and just..." he didn't finish this sentence.

He asked me, "Do you have kids?" I said yes, I have five. He asked, "Do you ever get to where everyone is getting along?"
I said,"Getting along?" He said "Yah. Like you get to drink a beer and just hang out without everyone trying to not _____ with each other."
I said we try. Why?

He said because after the brews, and the screwed up marriages, and the fighting family, and now this health he was honestly just wanting to Rest In Peace.
"I'm tired and I'm done," Rick told me as family came in and out during this time.

Rick was three years older than me and he died yesterday. Business owner of 47 years. Lived well by today's standards.
I shared with him the difference in how the world seeks rest and how others respond to the One who offers Rest to those who are heavy laden.

You want to get real real. Sit with dying people and share the real stuff. Rick and I agreed, as men in our 60's, that Rest is what so many people are chasing after.
He thought he had to die to ultimately find it.
That was never the Plan I shared with him.

As he and I were talking, there were 9 people gathered around his bed in the ICU. You coulda heard a pin drop.
When I surveyed the group all around us, I asked them if anyone else was looking for rest right now, and every single hand went up.
Wow.

It's more pervasive than I thought.
I learn much from those who are leaving us.
I rank the topics they teach me as the things that really matter.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513424
03/01/22 08:12 AM
03/01/22 08:12 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Sat with my Dad in October while he died. My mom was there and so was one of my sisters. I think it gave him some comfort. He was aware we were there and that it was his turn. Couldn't really speak much. I am glad I got to be with him at the end.

I am in the process of buying the house across the street from me. Going to move my mom in there. Losing a parent sure makes you understand how short life really is.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513426
03/01/22 08:13 AM
03/01/22 08:13 AM
New York ,Adirondack mts.
M
mole Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
mole  Offline
"The Tman morning greeter"
M

New York ,Adirondack mts.
yeah thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death , I will fear no evil for Thou art with me.

Rest in Peace Rick.

Thank you Mark

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513429
03/01/22 08:18 AM
03/01/22 08:18 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Agreed danny. My ministry has peeled about 100 hard tethered layers off this trapper dude, and that only leaves 9,900 to go.
Maybe that's why I'm among those who are in hospice, palliative, or end of life care.
Stuffs real here.
In a world more and more full of stuff not worth the time to argue over, one way or another.

Glad to hear you'll have mom close by. She'll find some rest in knowing y'all are there. Relationships are so important yet undervalued in our land.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513436
03/01/22 08:31 AM
03/01/22 08:31 AM
Williamsport, Pa.
J
jk Offline
trapper
jk  Offline
trapper
J

Williamsport, Pa.
Mark You are doing something that I can not do. Both my parents, my best friend from high school and a close friend here died those horrible hospital deaths with everyone stand around waiting for weeks, months for the end. Horrible way to go. People that can do that every day are special, thanks for what you do........jk

Free people are not equal. Equal people are not free. What's supposed to be ain't always is. Hopper Hunter
Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513447
03/01/22 08:46 AM
03/01/22 08:46 AM
South Central Kansas
KsTrapper88 Offline
trapper
KsTrapper88  Offline
trapper

South Central Kansas
Matthew 11:28-30 ESV

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

I guess we have some good news the world needs to hear. Thanks for sharing that news Mark.

Derek
Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513462
03/01/22 09:09 AM
03/01/22 09:09 AM
lewis county,new york
N
newfox1 Offline
trapper
newfox1  Offline
trapper
N

lewis county,new york
Mark, I understand what your friend was talking about, it’s nice to have the kids over and everyone sharing a meal and getting along, makes you feel that your in a “ good place”, I think the way there is to have strong faith, make good moral decisions that affect your family and yourself in positive ways, always consider all involved before making any decision . Thanks Mark for the post, I spend a lot of time in the woods because it’s the only place that hasn’t changed, it makes sense to me, we all have to find the things that make sense to us if we are to head in a positive direction.

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513468
03/01/22 09:19 AM
03/01/22 09:19 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Derek, I read from that passage to Rick as everyone was gathered and I'm just gonna say, there are things we can't explain that are bigger than us.
I'm a smart trapper but I can't figure it all out, but Rick's facial expressions and his loved ones body language changed as Scripture was read with Rick's sincere permission.
Rick was not a believer before the passage was read and I didn't read it for any other reason than he asked me about a term I used - Shalom. Peace. Rest.
I told him the Israelites greet each other with that greeting as a cordial hope for the other person.
Rick said no one every in his lifetime had ever wished him Shalom. In fact, there was about 60+ years of unrest and people helping with that every step.
I said there was One.
And so a trapper sat with a man I did not know before yesterday, talking about Novas, and brews, and life, and marriages.
And Rest.

It was always meant to be this way. The - we can't fully explain it all but we understand enough to know it's true... at a core in ourselves we don't expose very often.
But it's real whether we reflect upon it or not.
And some don't expose themselves until the end of their life.
For many good reasons.
The flesh, the world, and satan oppose Shalom/Rest.
They rattle swords for unrest.

Pretty basic stuff when you get down to it.
The world chases the upside down cross for peace and love. Why is the symbol for worldly peace the upside down cross? That's interesting.
No. It's Written.
[Linked Image]

Wrong cross chasing right there. No real peace & rest to be found.
So said Rick.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513476
03/01/22 09:31 AM
03/01/22 09:31 AM
PA
P
PAskinner Offline
trapper
PAskinner  Offline
trapper
P

PA
Good post. I agree. Peace is what we all want. This world and I mean the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life offer nothing but empty promises. Get all the money all the fame and then what? By and large, rich and famous people are miserable failures in what really matters.

18 I have seen what is best for people here on earth. They should eat and drink and enjoy their work, because the life God has given them on earth is short. 19 God gives some people the ability to enjoy the wealth and property he gives them, as well as the ability to accept their state in life and enjoy their work. 20 They do not worry about how short life is, because God keeps them busy with what they love to do.
Ecclesiastes 5:18-20
New Century Version

Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before.
Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513484
03/01/22 09:41 AM
03/01/22 09:41 AM
KY
L
learch Offline
trapper
learch  Offline
trapper
L

KY
Thanks Mark for this post and especially thanks for your ministry. My mom has dementia and has been in hospice now for six weeks. I have had the amazing honor to visit with her every day since my dad made the decision to put her there. Being there for him has also been an honor. What you do is special and your obedience to what God has called you to do is admirable. Thanks again.

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513492
03/01/22 09:50 AM
03/01/22 09:50 AM
Northern Maine
Bruce T Offline
trapper
Bruce T  Offline
trapper

Northern Maine
Thanks for sharing and doing the things you do Mark in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.....R.I.P Rick

Nevada bound
Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513495
03/01/22 09:52 AM
03/01/22 09:52 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
In the 1950s the "peace sign", as it is known today (also known as "peace and love"), was designed by Gerald Holtom as the logo for the British Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND),[1] a group at the forefront of the peace movement in the UK, and adopted by anti-war and counterculture activists in the US and elsewhere. The symbol is a super-imposition of the semaphore signals for the letters "N" and "D", taken to stand for "nuclear disarmament",[

Lets have a little clarity here.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513497
03/01/22 09:54 AM
03/01/22 09:54 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
[Linked Image]

I thought you used to be a boy scout Mark

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513499
03/01/22 09:56 AM
03/01/22 09:56 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Blessings for you during this time learch. I have the easy task during the pastoral visits because my role isn't to save, heal, fix, or rescue anyone.
As a bunch of caring people come to try and save, heal, fix, and rescue people.

We call it a ministry of presence in the Chaplaincy and it's as real as a triple on coyotes bouncing in three MB550's.
Can't explain it all, but there it is. Right there.

The love you have for you mother.
The love you have for your father.
And they are different, each one, from the other.
If I gave you a piece of paper and pen, and asked you to write down 5 perfect words to describe them, you'd say you can't.
Does that mean they aren't true? Your love doesn't exist?
Because you can't logically explain them.
Of course not.
They are more real than words can say.

There is a special time at the end of life and everyone would learn much from it.
If we listen with ears to hear and see with our eyes that are open.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: danny clifton] #7513502
03/01/22 09:57 AM
03/01/22 09:57 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by danny clifton
In the 1950s the "peace sign", as it is known today (also known as "peace and love"), was designed by Gerald Holtom as the logo for the British Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND),[1] a group at the forefront of the peace movement in the UK, and adopted by anti-war and counterculture activists in the US and elsewhere. The symbol is a super-imposition of the semaphore signals for the letters "N" and "D", taken to stand for "nuclear disarmament",[

Lets have a little clarity here.

You have to dig deeper than a peacenik to get at the kernel and the grand deception.
Nice try from Reverend Google though.

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: danny clifton] #7513505
03/01/22 09:58 AM
03/01/22 09:58 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

[Linked Image]

I thought you used to be a boy scout Mark

I was a Cub Scout. I started trapping and never graduated to the big leagues I guess.

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: Bruce T] #7513514
03/01/22 10:02 AM
03/01/22 10:02 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Thanks for sharing and doing the things you do Mark in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.....R.I.P Rick

There are MANY days I quit but then suit up again and I understand why Paul said I confess to know nothing but Christ crucified.
Those are many of my days.

Thank God for His creation and the great out of doors!
I bet many of us find rest there.
I do.

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513518
03/01/22 10:04 AM
03/01/22 10:04 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Yep. Never shine a light on the "facts" coming from a pulpit.

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: ] #7513523
03/01/22 10:07 AM
03/01/22 10:07 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Mark, that is a hard rough and greatly appreciated ministry you are doing. I am glad but not surprised you had the words needed for Rick and those around him during that time. I pray those around him get the peace they need with deep roots to withstand the storms ahead.

Re: Meet a man yesterday longing for RIP [Re: danny clifton] #7513525
03/01/22 10:08 AM
03/01/22 10:08 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Yep. Never shine a light on the "facts" coming from a pulpit.

That symbol is ancient Danny. Dive deeper into Reverent Google if need be but be careful of the 21st century disease called the illusion of originality.
Most of this stuff is ages old.

You're pretty quick to disparage and become a mocker, rather than dialog, and also quick to the keys on things spiritual.
Do you reflect as to why that is?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread