No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
DIY Auto Mechanics DONE? #7494163
02/12/22 10:56 PM
02/12/22 10:56 PM
Adirondacks NY
F
Forest Offline OP
trapper
Forest  Offline OP
trapper
F

Adirondacks NY
What do you guys think? With cars and trucks getting less and less DIY friendly, will the days of DIY auto repair be over in the next decade or two?

According to the New York Slimes, nearly 9% of vehicles sold last year were electric, which I’d imagine would be even harder to repair than new gas engines. The new Ford Ranger requires a front wheel and guard to be taken off just to do an oil change.

Paul Smiths Forestry ‘22
Re: DIY Auto Mechanics DONE? [Re: Forest] #7494168
02/12/22 11:00 PM
NY
Canvasback2 Offline
trapper
Canvasback2  Offline
trapper

NY
To replace the Radiator on a newer Volkswagen Beatle , they had to take the whole front side of the car apart, to pull the old Radiator out and put a new one in. Then put it all back together. $5,000 just to replace a Radiator!!

Last edited by Canvasback2; 02/12/22 11:00 PM.
Re: DIY Auto Mechanics DONE? [Re: Forest] #7494170
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Wont be totally DIY proof but good luck with being able to get inside the inside compartment within 5 years. Some gasoline engines have sealed compartments that only a dealer or authorized mechanic can get into.

Re: DIY Auto Mechanics DONE? [Re: Forest] #7494189
02/12/22 11:08 PM
02/12/22 11:08 PM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
many states have right to repair laws , this will be where some of the challenges to anti DIY.

Americans can be some very smart people and figure out an awful lot of stuff , more and more people getting access to tools that were dealer only years ago.

I was talking with the receptionist at the dentist her boyfriend spent 150 on a cord and program for his laptop and was able to turn on several features in the ECM

about as fast as they can make a security bit , some one else makes a aftermarket tool to remove it.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: DIY Auto Mechanics DONE? [Re: GREENCOUNTYPETE] #7494263
02/12/22 11:55 PM
02/12/22 11:55 PM
New Hampshire
N
Nessmuck Offline
trapper
Nessmuck  Offline
trapper
N

New Hampshire
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
many states have right to repair laws , this will be where some of the challenges to anti DIY.

Americans can be some very smart people and figure out an awful lot of stuff , more and more people getting access to tools that were dealer only years ago.

I was talking with the receptionist at the dentist her boyfriend spent 150 on a cord and program for his laptop and was able to turn on several features in the ECM

about as fast as they can make a security bit , some one else makes a aftermarket tool to remove it.

Stay away from any aftermarket electronic parts. The insurance co paid for an aftermarket shutter assembly for a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that was in a front end collision. I put the aftermarket part in per instructions from the Fuhr ( insurance company ) . Then had it programmed. Then a month later the women calls and says a check engine light is on. I get it programmed again ( more money ) . Then ithe light came on a month later. Ended up gettting an OEM shutter …installed it..had it programmed….all fixed. And charged the ins company dearly….and they paid…plus paid all the rental fees …and I even charged the ins co for re packaging and returning the junk aftermarket part..1.0 hours…lol

Last edited by Nessmuck; 02/12/22 11:56 PM.

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Re: DIY Auto Mechanics DONE? [Re: Nessmuck] #7494318
02/13/22 12:54 AM
02/13/22 12:54 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Stay away from any aftermarket electronic parts. The insurance co paid for an aftermarket shutter assembly for a 2015 Jeep Cherokee that was in a front end collision. I put the aftermarket part in per instructions from the Fuhr ( insurance company ) . Then had it programmed. Then a month later the women calls and says a check engine light is on. I get it programmed again ( more money ) . Then ithe light came on a month later. Ended up gettting an OEM shutter …installed it..had it programmed….all fixed. And charged the ins company dearly….and they paid…plus paid all the rental fees …and I even charged the ins co for re packaging and returning the junk aftermarket part..1.0 hours…lol

couple year ago a fuel tanker caught fire in town because of aftermarket headlights , caught the fiberglass hood on fire it was spreading to the tires when 2 guys ran out with fire extingusihers fromt he building the tanker stopped in front of and they put it out.
no option for the OEM headlights they had been discontinued but burning fuel tankers are no good either.

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread