No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' #7493115
02/12/22 01:15 AM
02/12/22 01:15 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
So , probably three or so years back I post some pics of my uncle and some of the old heads making sausage, crackins' n the like. Talked a lil about how it was a microcosm of what we used to do.....some things I remember being a Lil kid growing up round here ,and alot of folks found it interesting. Well somone inboxed me a month ago asking about if we still did the big ones and I said no but I said I'd do my best to find some pictures, my grandma was some kinda bad about her picture takin and her photo albums....now I know why..... And honestly,wish she took more ,or at least I could find more. So I looked and looked. Bugged my mom and dad a bunch finally was going though a ole zip up bad full of these Lil photo albums found old pics of me my parents wedding just genral this that pics from my dad when I was still in the army then I found this...
[Linked Image]
Honestly didnt know what it was till I opened it up
[Linked Image]

You know, this was a few years before I was born ( 1997) but most of these faces the sights ,I can smell and hear every one of these pictures. Alot of these older guys in these pictures where still around when I was coming up. And they held this Lil backwoods community or whatever you'd call use on these back roads they call the Causey Quarters together.. they did this every year. Tradition, honestly I think this goes all the way back to slave times...but I'm not sure
But yeah it's almost all the same. I remember being 7 or 8 waking up and hearing mom or dad or grandma if I was at her place say "Get your coat and gloves on we're going up to the camp". I remember loving and hating it man lol. Yeh them old heads would watch the weather like hawks and they would pick the coldest days to do this so the meat wouldn't spoil. We had deep freezers and coolers and all but ,that's just the way they did it. "Cold made you a man " they said. But yeah I'd bundle up hop in the car and we'd head to the camp up on the hill. The camp ,well best way I can describe it was a larger multi purpose building for the area. Many many get togethers ,cook outs, reunions ,trail rides , and Killin' went on up there. Remember one of my favorite parts what's tole old pool table they had in there. Was coin operated and the old guy would sit in there an smoke telling stories about huntin' fishing life and would grin ear to ear when one of us would as for some quarters so we could get the balls out and play with them mangled ole pool cues...
Somtimes you could hear guns being shot off the back porch off into the cow pasture at a bucket or bottle. Guys making bets and showing off how they where crack shots. The whole area was surrounded but big ole oaks and pecan trees hickernuts too . And down past it on the back side you could see " Uncle T's pond" . Honestly wasn't a late pond as was a medium sized lake. Boy it was massive. When it was dig all the trees they cute where stacked on piles before they filled it making virtual islands in the middle. Lots of talk about there being world record catfish living in there..... Remember going fish there as a kid seeing the big alligator snapping turtles cruise by in the murky water by the bank , might as well have been a sea monster lol.

But the main attraction was the hogs. Eveyone chipped in and the hogs where bought and raised by certain individuals who knew how to feed and tend to them so they had the best meat and they got big. I remember getting there early enough one time to see that big ole red goose neck cow trailer coming up the 1/4 mile long road up to the camp. The way that ole deisel was pinging in the early morning, that sound has greeted me many times over my life,but that was something special. And they would climb up the side of the last thing with a ole .22 long . And "pat pat pat pat" drop em all like a sack of brick. Right between the eyes. Then they haul em out hang em and bleed them out before gutting. All of this was usually don't before the main group of folks came with the kids.

Then once most everyone showed up folks would start working the carcasses. Eveyone had their own specialties. And not much went to waste at all. The heads where cut just right and carted off to be sectioned for hog head cheese. The intestines were handled with the utmost care and cleaned out for sausage casings or chitlines . I remember this was my grandma and her group of women's specialty. I remember her saying " Boy imma need alot if tooth paste tonight after this !" Apparently it was one of the best ways to get the smell off .
Remmber walking past and seeing guys pluck and scrap the individual hair off the hides occasionally rising it off with scalding water. Then they singe it over a bed of coals and scald it again and it would be lilly white and ready to be turned into crackings.
The trotters would be cut off and sent to a guy who was gonna clean them up and prepare them for pickling. And on and on and on it went. The carcasses was then sawed length wist then cut into chops. Scraps of that being sent to the large table where they were diced and prepped for sausage making. The meat was all had seasoned with special mixes known only to the creators. Plain mild hot. Eveyone had their own little spin that made it all work. Eveyone got there share
I honestly cried a lil bit looking though all these ... remembering how it used to be, I hate to say but this is a bygone Era now..... With the passing of all these older guys so went these traditions , the love , the community........ I can walk to jaut about eveyone of these area I talk to in less then 15min ...... But their not the same anymore.... The camps still there ...but it's a husk of what it used to be...where there used to be loud story telling ,drunken laugher, a sense of real community. It's gone . At least for me and everyone who still really remembers. But we still try to carry on a little of the tradition ,now where near what it used to be....but it's not gonna die. So as to a tribute if days gone past a bygone Era ... I wrote this and posed these pics.... Only wish I had more....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]https://trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2022/02/full-34110-127503-fb_img_1644639680344.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Wolfdog91; 02/12/22 01:20 AM.
Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493116
02/12/22 01:16 AM
02/12/22 01:16 AM
Amite county Mississippi
Wolfdog91 Offline OP
trapper
Wolfdog91  Offline OP
trapper

Amite county Mississippi
[Linked Image]

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493124
02/12/22 01:34 AM
02/12/22 01:34 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
That was some good times Wolfdog.

I recall helping out when I was a young'un. My grandpa raised hogs on his dairy farm. On hog killing day, my job was to cut the fat into cubes so it could be rendered down into lard. I still remember them dipping the hog carcasses in barrels of boiling water, then scraping the hair off. Good times back then. I also recall grandma saying she needed me to get a chicken ready for cooking. I would catch the chicken she wanted, tied it's legs on the clothes line, and cut off the head. Dang those critters would flap and spray blood everywhere.

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493125
02/12/22 01:37 AM
02/12/22 01:37 AM
Oakland, MS
yotetrapper30 Offline
trapper
yotetrapper30  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Great post!

~~Proud Ultra MAGA~~
Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493129
02/12/22 01:50 AM
02/12/22 01:50 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Wolfie, if you were not born till 1997, you should really keep these pictures somewhere safe to pass along. I'd print the whole post. Your kids won't even believe how it used to be done.
Case.

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493130
02/12/22 01:52 AM
02/12/22 01:52 AM
Champaign County, Ohio.
K
KeithC Offline
trapper
KeithC  Offline
trapper
K

Champaign County, Ohio.
Nice write up. I enjoyed it. You should try to keep the tradition going with your generation.

1991 doesn't seem long ago to me at all though. Your 1991 would be my 1964 and some of the oldest guys here's 1930s. I was born in 1970.

Keith

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493144
02/12/22 02:44 AM
02/12/22 02:44 AM
Oakland, MS
Drifter Offline
trapper
Drifter  Offline
trapper

Oakland, MS
Brings back some memories. There was still some on the river in Illinois that still do this each year. They skin instead of scald and scrape though. I worked with a guy that if he liked you he would sell a hog at market price and as long as you helped would cut and package. Worst part was the clean up of the equipment.

Seems once the Grandma's died the glue that binds is lost. Truly a shame so much has been lost over the years.

Some individuals use statistics as a drunk man uses lamp-posts — for support rather than for illumination.

Andrew Lang (1844-1912) Scottish poet, novelist and literary critic

Life member NTA , and GA Trappers assoc .
Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493149
02/12/22 03:04 AM
02/12/22 03:04 AM
Beaman Iowa 55
M
Mike Cope Offline
trapper
Mike Cope  Offline
trapper
M

Beaman Iowa 55
Thanks for Sharing

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493161
02/12/22 05:26 AM
02/12/22 05:26 AM
South Dakota
H
Hydropillar Offline
trapper
Hydropillar  Offline
trapper
H

South Dakota
good times right there wolfie... no need to let it die... get some buddies together and butcher... even if just one and split it up......
draw a imaginary x from the eyes to the ears... then shoot right on top side of intersection of the lines !!

The only place you find free cheese is in a mousetrap !
Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493163
02/12/22 05:38 AM
02/12/22 05:38 AM
Surry county, NC
G Hose Offline
trapper
G Hose  Offline
trapper

Surry county, NC
Thanks for sharing, enjoyed it

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493167
02/12/22 06:23 AM
02/12/22 06:23 AM
texas
L
la4wd54 Offline
trapper
la4wd54  Offline
trapper
L

texas
Thanks for sharing, brought back memories of when we did this back in Louisiana when I was a kid. Good times

Last edited by la4wd54; 02/12/22 06:23 AM.
Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493170
02/12/22 06:36 AM
Wisconsin
R
RdFx Offline
trapper
RdFx  Offline
trapper
R

Wisconsin
Yup remember hog butchering time. One weekend was hogs , the next it was beef. Thanks for posting Wolfie.

RdFx
Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493171
NC
G
garyll1959 Offline
trapper
garyll1959  Offline
trapper
G

NC
Wolfe, try to find as many of the people in those pictures as you can. Write the names down for each picture. I have boxes of old photos from my parents and grandparents of people that I know are kinfolk, but I have no idea who they are.

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493181
02/12/22 07:12 AM
02/12/22 07:12 AM
Michigan
T
Trapper Dahlgren Offline
trapper
Trapper Dahlgren  Offline
trapper
T

Michigan
thanks for sharing smile

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493182
02/12/22 07:14 AM
02/12/22 07:14 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
When I was a kid it was a family get together. Hogs and steers were fun. Deer and Elk. But when it was time to do 100 chickens I wanted to pass. Me and my sister had to scald and pluck the stinking things when they quit flopping. Not a fun job. Chicken guts are incredibly fowl smelling too. I never wanted to eat one for at least a week. We ate chopped onion, mayonnaise, and raw ground burger sandwich's though when doing beef. ( No way i would do that with an animal I wasn't helping to process)

Wolfie, in 91 to take pictures you needed film and a place to get them developed. Nobody took pictures like we do today.

Those are dandys for sure and need saved for your descendants.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: CaseXX] #7493193
02/12/22 07:38 AM
02/12/22 07:38 AM
Louisiana
Aix sponsa Offline
trapper
Aix sponsa  Offline
trapper

Louisiana

Wolf, this is one of the best threads I’ve seen in a long time. This was a time when everyone knew where food came from.

Thanks for sharing

Originally Posted by CaseXX
Wolfie, if you were not born till 1997, you should really keep these pictures somewhere safe to pass along. I'd print the whole post. Your kids won't even believe how it used to be done.
Case.

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493199
02/12/22 07:46 AM
02/12/22 07:46 AM
SE Kansas
L
Len Dunham Offline
trapper
Len Dunham  Offline
trapper
L

SE Kansas
When I was a kid my dad would put up two hogs every fall. Fresh spare ribs for lunch it was a family thing.I tell my grandkids this they say why. I tell them for something to eat it was great time in my life,

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493214
02/12/22 07:58 AM
monadnock region New Hampshire
nh toe pincher Offline
trapper
nh toe pincher  Offline
trapper

monadnock region New Hampshire
one of my buddies growin up said his gramma would be right there with a big pan to catch the blood & she would keep stirrin' it so it wouldnt coagulate. idk if they made blood sausage or what but i do know the only thing got wasted on a pig was the squeal! lol

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493217
SEPA
L
Lugnut Offline
trapper
Lugnut  Offline
trapper
L

SEPA
Excellent post Wolfdog, brings back a lot of memories for me. The first thing I thought when I looked at the pics was, "It's too warm to butcher." Then I looked at where you're from and then read this:

Originally Posted by Wolfdog91
Yeh them old heads would watch the weather like hawks and they would pick the coldest days to do this so the meat wouldn't spoil. We had deep freezers and coolers and all but ,that's just the way they did it. "Cold made you a man " they said.

I helped a farmer butcher through the 70's and 80's. I was friends with his sons. Just like your event, Butcher Day was a big deal. Neighboring farmers and their kids would show up, everybody helped. Also like your event, Butcher day up here was done on the coldest of days.

Once a hog was scalded, scraped and skinned, one of us young guy's jobs was to carry the quarters from the barn fore bay to the butcher house across the street. I remember there being snow and ice on the ground and knew there would be heck to pay if any of us slipped and dropped a quarter.

The old guys got the cushy (warm) jobs sitting around the fire in the butcher house stirring the scrapple or blood pudding.

Thanks for the share!

Eh...wot?

Re: Bygone Era : Old Fashioned Hog Killin' [Re: Wolfdog91] #7493239
02/12/22 08:28 AM
02/12/22 08:28 AM
Va
B
bandy Offline
trapper
bandy  Offline
trapper
B

Va
That was a normal thing for us every year wish I had pictures like that brings back a lot of memories.

No matter where you go there you are.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread