No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: mutt] #7474802
01/27/22 07:53 AM
01/27/22 07:53 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by mutt
Check the details on whichever auger you end up with. Ones like my strikemaster are not ideal for reopening holes. I think its something like they will dull faster cause they aren't designed to bounce around the sides of the already drilled hole. There are some brands that have been rated as better for reopening holes.

In my overall judgment for trapping related I think the ideal would be a brushless battery drill,( milwaukee,dewault,royobi) they all have good reviews. 2 batteries on a good named brand drill will easily get you 50holes. 1 batt would come close on its own.

Auger, I would consider buying all those blue hand crank ones you see at garage sales and auctions for 5 or 10$ you can buy an adapter that attaches them to the drill for 30ish $. Those blades are fairly easy to sharpen by hand you could have several sets for under 50$. That way when you run it into the mud or a log ect.. you can swap out the blades and keep going. Sharpen the blades when you have time.

Great idea- I just watched a few YouTube videos on this- I think this idea is better for trapping. I'm going to buy an adapter and mount a section of pool noodle on it rather than the big aluminum disk style. I'm reluctant to use my K-drill for trapping because of the amount of debris you drill through at rat locations. A brushless drill, like the Milwaukee Fuel, is needed or you'll smoke the drill out.

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: bblwi] #7474809
01/27/22 08:05 AM
01/27/22 08:05 AM
St. Cloud, MN
trapperkeck Offline
trapper
trapperkeck  Offline
trapper

St. Cloud, MN
I would look into a cordless chain saw. That said, I use. Milwaukee Fuel hammer drill with Clam plate and Strikemaster Laser hand auger bit. With this system, I can use a 5", 6", 7", or 8" bit just by removing a wing nut style bolt to change out bits. I can get a lot more holes/battery with the 5" vs 8".

"The voice of reason!"
Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: bblwi] #7474821
01/27/22 08:22 AM
01/27/22 08:22 AM
Nebraska
Trapset Offline
trapper
Trapset  Offline
trapper

Nebraska
Wood frozen in the ice is real hard on blades for some reason. I was with a buddy snaring beaver under the ice in Canada. We were using my gas auger and the wood we hit bent and even chipped the blades.

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: bblwi] #7474830
01/27/22 08:38 AM
01/27/22 08:38 AM
Michigan
G
GWGjr Offline
trapper
GWGjr  Offline
trapper
G

Michigan
As Trapset mentioned, ice auger blades don't do well with wood or other debris in the ice - a stick will stop my ION auger. I have gone to using a Fish's Ice Saw that a lot of pike spearing guys use.

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: Northof50] #7474868
01/27/22 09:14 AM
01/27/22 09:14 AM
ND
DakotaBoy Offline
trapper
DakotaBoy  Offline
trapper

ND
Originally Posted by Northof50
had a good long talk with a friend that picked up a Strikemaster lithium and saw the cremaic blade when and got a 3 year warrantee, only to go out and the thing would only work in reverse, they came with two batteries.back to Cabelia's and saw the same person that sold the warrantee. being a former lawyer he cautioned his remarks to the person so they did not get the brunt of his anger.She thanked him and then they proceeded. Long story short where is a large batch that only run in reverse and the store knew about it, but sent them out. The manager gave a 100$ rebate back and a new auger that was tested.
now you know why i spell Waran-tee the way I do

I'm probably a bit slow this morning as I haven't had any coffee yet. Where in your story does it explain why you spell warranty the way you do? I'm lost.

"Pretty cocky for a starving pilgrim!"
"An elk don't know how many legs a horse has!"
Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: bblwi] #7474879
01/27/22 09:30 AM
01/27/22 09:30 AM
USA-WI
K
Kre Offline
trapper
Kre  Offline
trapper
K

USA-WI
I went w/ a Pistol Bit for my DeWalt 996 drill. It comes in just under 8 pounds. It's light and compact.

A lot of the electrics are heavy...about the same as my 2 hp Tecumsuh, so I didn't see any advantage.

I'm fishing the next 4 days, so we'll see how it does...I haven't used it much.

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: DakotaBoy] #7474900
01/27/22 09:48 AM
01/27/22 09:48 AM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
Originally Posted by DakotaBoy
Originally Posted by Northof50
had a good long talk with a friend that picked up a Strikemaster lithium and saw the cremaic blade when and got a 3 year warrantee, only to go out and the thing would only work in reverse, they came with two batteries.back to Cabelia's and saw the same person that sold the warrantee. being a former lawyer he cautioned his remarks to the person so they did not get the brunt of his anger.She thanked him and then they proceeded. Long story short where is a large batch that only run in reverse and the store knew about it, but sent them out. The manager gave a 100$ rebate back and a new auger that was tested.
now you know why i spell Waran-tee the way I do

I'm probably a bit slow this morning as I haven't had any coffee yet. Where in your story does it explain why you spell warranty the way you do? I'm lost.

The RANT in warranty I guess should have been highlighted.
He was not impressed with the failed attempted use...so far.

If this is for opening holes in a cattail marsh the blades really get dull fast even when just hitting cattail tubers/stems. Trust me I tried so you get 8-10 holes done then fight dull blades.

The hook=up of the auger to head is goofy and I have heard of more than one time - plop as they break through

I point out the 100$ bonus because the store has to send them back or crunch them and take a loss; so fight for it when you have an issue. The civil manner also helped with his approach

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: Northof50] #7474948
01/27/22 10:31 AM
01/27/22 10:31 AM
Madison Heights, MI
J
John Carter Offline
trapper
John Carter  Offline
trapper
J

Madison Heights, MI
I use a Rigid (lifetime warranty), nils 6 inch auger and ice saw.

Drill two holes 6 inches apart, ice saw chunk between holes which creates a slot for baited 159s on fiberglass stake on hagz conibear clip.

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: bblwi] #7475813
01/27/22 11:17 PM
01/27/22 11:17 PM
wisconsin, manitowoc
mutt Offline
trapper
mutt  Offline
trapper

wisconsin, manitowoc
[Linked Image]

This is the adapter I have and used attached to 1 of those 5" blue hand crank augers before I switched to the strikemaster. I started with this set up years ago using a dewault 18v with the nicad batteries. That drill couldn't of done anything bigger, and got hot after a couple holes in a row. The brushless lithium drills now days don't even seem to break a sweat.

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: bblwi] #7475817
01/27/22 11:20 PM
01/27/22 11:20 PM
Saskatchewan
R
rvsask Offline
trapper
rvsask  Offline
trapper
R

Saskatchewan
If you’re dealing with thick ice they don’t drill as many holes as you may like before they’re dead.

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: mutt] #7476015
01/28/22 07:17 AM
01/28/22 07:17 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin
Originally Posted by mutt
[Linked Image]

This is the adapter I have and used attached to 1 of those 5" blue hand crank augers before I switched to the strikemaster. I started with this set up years ago using a dewault 18v with the nicad batteries. That drill couldn't of done anything bigger, and got hot after a couple holes in a row. The brushless lithium drills now days don't even seem to break a sweat.

Mutt- The Blue augers are probably Mora- I believe, I have several of the older versions that have threaded shafts vs the pinned shafts. I'll have to dig around the rafters next time I'm at the cabin but most adapters I've seen are for the slip shaft style.

Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: bblwi] #7476252
01/28/22 11:30 AM
01/28/22 11:30 AM
Central MN, sort of old
MnMan Offline
trapper
MnMan  Offline
trapper

Central MN, sort of old
I have the 18 volt Milwaukee Fuel lithium 5amp hour battery drill and am using the Strikemaster/Mora hand auger for thinner ice and the Strikemaster auger I stole from my gas auger for thicker ice. While I do not have to drill a lot of holes, I'm sure with the extra battery I could. I bought the adapters for the conversion. I just weighed it at 11 1/2 pounds but it feels lighter and is pretty small and convenient. Those are both 8 inch augers and are big enough for anything I can pull through the holes. They are razor sharp and cut through ice like butter.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MnMan; 01/28/22 11:42 AM.

I'm just happy to be here! Today I'm as young as I'll ever be and and older than I've ever been before!
Re: Your experience with Lithium-ion battery ice auger [Re: MnMan] #7483765
02/03/22 06:37 PM
02/03/22 06:37 PM
East-Central Wisconsin
B
bblwi Offline OP
trapper
bblwi  Offline OP
trapper
B

East-Central Wisconsin
Thank you all for your input. I have an old Swedish hand auger in the fur shed. Our son has several larger drills and I will get the adaptor and a couple extra batteries if this works out. Will experiment this year to see if this is something I can work with next season. I know a person who puts extra batteries in a cooler with a couple open hand warmers and says it helps quite a bit.
If I can get this to work the idea of two augers, makes sense.

Bryce

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread