No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451103
01/04/22 11:07 PM
01/04/22 11:07 PM
Central, SD
Law Dog Offline
trapper
Law Dog  Offline
trapper

Central, SD
Skin oil reflection more then color I would guess grow a beard and your good to go.

Was born in a Big City Will die in the Country OK with that!

Jerry Herbst
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451107
01/04/22 11:12 PM
01/04/22 11:12 PM
East Texas
B
BTLowry Offline
trapper
BTLowry  Offline
trapper
B

East Texas
A fair question
1) I believe that your surrounding dictate if you need face camo. If you are hunting in the woods then darker shades blend better and when more open and light colored areas lighter shades. Why do dirt holes stick out? The darker hole contrasts with the surrounding terrain. Whenyou want to hide, contrast with surroundings is bad
2) Movement will tend to get you busted more than anything. Again matching shade to environment helps you get away with a little more movement

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Moosetrot] #7451113
01/04/22 11:22 PM
01/04/22 11:22 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Originally Posted by Moosetrot
I teach folks to not make eye contact with turkeys. They are a prey animal and I think they can dang near feel it.

I used to wear my black beard for face camo. Now my beard is nearly all white, and I usually wear a camo bandana or face net.

Moosetrot

Yup, hat pulled low, mask pulled up peeking out from under the hat brim. I don't want him to see my eyes.

Fact, it's innate in many species to see and target faces and eyes. There are many moth and butterfly the have eye spots for this reason. Honey bees first target is the face.

[Linked Image]
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: warrior] #7451134
01/04/22 11:53 PM
01/04/22 11:53 PM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by warrior
I teach folks to not make eye contact with turkeys. They are a prey animal and I think they can dang near feel it.

I used to wear my black beard for face camo. Now my beard is nearly all white, and I usually wear a camo bandana or face net.

Moosetrot

Yup, hat pulled low, mask pulled up peeking out from under the hat brim. I don't want him to see my eyes.

Fact, it's innate in many species to see and target faces and eyes. There are many moth and butterfly the have eye spots for this reason. Honey bees first target is the face.

I do not speak for all beekeepers. This was my first year with bees and I have learned a few things that they do not like you doing. From those adventures I have been stung in the arms and mid body area. I have had many in my face. They had already stung me or where males. I have not been stung in the face. I have also run around and through my house trying to avoid a bee. I am unaware of any videos but I am not tech savy and easily bribed with beer.

In conclusion, I have not been stung in the face. I have been stung in the lower arms and the area between your arm pits and hips. The stings do not hurt. Most of them I didn't even know that I had gotten stung. The most fun is with the ones that keep buzzing your face.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: SJA] #7451161
01/05/22 12:57 AM
01/05/22 12:57 AM
East of the Mason-Dixon Line
DelawareRob Offline
trapper
DelawareRob  Offline
trapper

East of the Mason-Dixon Line
Originally Posted by SJA

No Problem . . . got 'em in my backyard at times . . . notice the cooker is ready? [Linked Image]

PS, NOT A DECOY!

Headed your way. grin

Who is John Galt?

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

Semper Paratus
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451163
01/05/22 12:59 AM
01/05/22 12:59 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
You wear a veil? Next time you open a hive take note wear the first buzzer or head butter appears. Hands and arms always collect the most hits as that's what is in contact but those first guards are buzzing your head and face.

[Linked Image]
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451165
01/05/22 01:03 AM
SE NEBRASKA
NebrCatMan Offline
trapper
NebrCatMan  Offline
trapper

SE NEBRASKA
I would wear face camo. Or darken blotches with black face make up. Any skin shines. Just the way I do it !

Remember "Forbidden Fruit makes many Jams"
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Ric] #7451166
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
Originally Posted by Ric
White , black, brown, purple. In that situation I would do something to mute the "shine" from exposed skin. A ball cap with a veil or a head net and some neutral colored gloves would be my choice

Agree about the shine

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451171
01/05/22 01:19 AM
01/05/22 01:19 AM
nm
A
adam m Offline
trapper
adam m  Offline
trapper
A

nm
Come on down Delaware.

I've walked up on them, drove up to them started walking towards them (non season).

I was a freshmen in high school and had broke my pinky toe. I was tracking a buck I come around the bend and a Turkey is casually walks in front of me about 5 -10 yards stops eats. I stood there for a couple minutes debating if I should take the shot hoping I don't spoke the buck and have to carry it the entire time or just let it walk. I let it walk. I never met up with the buck.
More than likely I was wearing either cargo pants or jeans and a non camo jacket. Tan cargo pants blend in extremely well.

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: warrior] #7451173
01/05/22 01:23 AM
01/05/22 01:23 AM
Ne pa
J
Jerry Jr. Offline
trapper
Jerry Jr.  Offline
trapper
J

Ne pa
Originally Posted by warrior
You wear a veil? Next time you open a hive take note wear the first buzzer or head butter appears. Hands and arms always collect the most hits as that's what is in contact but those first guards are buzzing your head and face.

Not sure if this was directed to me, but, I will explain a little on my part.

Most of the time during the summer I could open the hive without much problem. The smoker was nice to have. I did notice that they did not like when I would open the top to feed them when it was dark, raining or cold.

Time is more precious than gold if you know how to spend it
.... but what do I know, I'm just a dumb farmer.~My Dad
NRA LIFE MEMBER, Endowment Member
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451214
01/05/22 06:22 AM
01/05/22 06:22 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
I think dark colors are harder to see. A grey rabbit motionless in the grass is hard to spot. A black bear in timber is the same. Brown pheasant in big bluestem grass on and on. Biggest thing to stay hidden is stay motionless. A skill that takes some effort. Patience dont come easy.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: DelawareRob] #7451230
01/05/22 07:27 AM
01/05/22 07:27 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Don't care 1 lick bout pc, care even less bout skin color. Put me in the movement camp, animals are all somethings prey, millions of years of evolution have honed their senses to watch out for vertical movement on a horizontal plane to about 100 times greater than modern man. Brake up your outline and stay still. Just my opinion.
Case

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451255
01/05/22 08:08 AM
01/05/22 08:08 AM
La Crosse, WI
Macthediver Offline
trapper
Macthediver  Offline
trapper

La Crosse, WI
If you hunt ducks where bird can see you from above. You learn really quick about movement being the thing that gets you busted. When I was younger I was always warned about looking up at income birds. One thing I used to notice watch birds work in by other hunter was flashes from gun barrel. I even recall seeing my father in-law in near by blind glance up at birds and flash them with his glasses. If the lights bright enough to flash off your face or hands or even your glasses. There are probably a lot other things just natural flashing. Especially if there is wind and breeze.
That said I guess I'm with the crowd that say movement will get you busted. I do believe that a boonie hat vs a ball cap is less likely to get you busted turning your head. At least with critter like deer and turkey that have already been hunted by others.Think about an owl how it's hard to tell which way they are facing. Unless you close enough to really see them good. They turn their head you can barely tell.
I also think it has a lot to do with whos looking for who. It like if you ever picked mushroom or looked for ginseng. Sometimes got to have your eyes right to find them. Your looking for that one out place thing shape or color. Once you see first one then your notice the rest.uch of it has to do with contrast. Take someone says dressed in all black or all White. They can both hide in snow covered ground in the timber. Either one starts moving they light right up against when white snow or dark timber.

Mac

"Never Forget Which Way Is Up"

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Moosetrot] #7451270
01/05/22 08:39 AM
01/05/22 08:39 AM
Wisconsin
E
Eagleye Offline
trapper
Eagleye  Offline
trapper
E

Wisconsin

Moosetrot

My beard went from great camo to a White Paper Plate- where did the time go? We mainly use duck unders on waterfowl blinds, facemasks for turkey and for bow hunting, I hope my head looks like a big Aspen Knot

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451274
01/05/22 08:42 AM
01/05/22 08:42 AM
Arkansas
W
Wallace Offline
trapper
Wallace  Offline
trapper
W

Arkansas
How is this question pilitically incorrect? It's a shame that our society makes us think that asking a question about skin tone and camo makeup might be offensive.

To answer your question... If your skin isnt too shiny I think you will be fine. If it snows you might be in trouble..

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Moosetrot] #7451299
01/05/22 09:03 AM
01/05/22 09:03 AM
ohio
T
tomahawker Offline
trapper
tomahawker  Offline
trapper
T

ohio

Moosetrot

There’s definitely something to not staring at yer quarry. There’s still some magic left in the wild. I’m over all the game cameras, scentlock and head to toe camo.

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: tomahawker] #7451307
01/05/22 09:13 AM
01/05/22 09:13 AM
Indiana
C
CaseXX Offline
trapper
CaseXX  Offline
trapper
C

Indiana
Originally Posted by tomahawker

Moosetrot

There’s definitely something to not staring at yer quarry. There’s still some magic left in the wild. I’m over all the game cameras, scentlock and head to toe camo.

Yep, the brits still teach there SAS types not to stair at sentries as they sneak up from behind. How many times have you turned around to see someone behind you?

Rules:
Col. Jeff Cooper #1for a gunfight
Gibbs. #9 always carry a knife
Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451313
01/05/22 09:23 AM
01/05/22 09:23 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Some real interesting comments here
Especially about the purple

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451362
01/05/22 10:22 AM
01/05/22 10:22 AM
South MS
dublelung Offline
trapper
dublelung  Offline
trapper

South MS
I've know a few folks with your tone of flesh who still wear face masks when turkey hunting. I don't think it matters when deer hunting. Do whatever you feel increases your chance of success.

Re: So gotta politically incorrect question on camo [Re: Wolfdog91] #7451370
01/05/22 10:28 AM
01/05/22 10:28 AM
Missouri
H
HayDay Offline
trapper
HayDay  Offline
trapper
H

Missouri
I have some younger relatives that if one were to check, would probably be found wearing camo underwear while deer hunting. They got it all. Yet they seem to fail often. Likely as not, if they would admit it, would be guilty of playing on their smart phone......look up and a deer is standing 50 feet away. Once they move to shoot it, are busted. So I'm in the patience and movement camp.

Also find it amusing at all the guys going to gun shows are wearing camo. Trying to sneak up on a deal?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread