Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Advice for a newbie? #7442061
12/26/21 11:51 AM
12/26/21 11:51 AM
VA
isaacsbees Offline OP
trapper
isaacsbees  Offline OP
trapper

VA
Hi everyone, I'm new to trapping and trying to start out with muskrats. I've got some equipment and I've studied up some, but I've got two major questions.

First, I am having trouble finding locations to trap and am wondering what bodies of water are most conducive (depth, current, vegetation, etc). I live in the Shenandoah Valley of VA and most water around me is farm creeks and ponds but I would appreciate any advice from y'all on how to tell a potential muskrat spot from a distance rather than looking for huts, bank dens, runs, etc. In other words, is there anything that rules out the possibility of muskrats in an area?

Second, here in VA we do not get much ice on our water so I'm wondering if y'all had some recommendations for trapping in warmer water.

I have 110 conibear traps and am trying to find some used #1 steel traps, so let me know if you have any of those as well! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and merry Christmas everyone smile

It's a question of whether we're going to go forward into the future, or past to the... to the back.

-Dan Quayle
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7442073
12/26/21 12:25 PM
12/26/21 12:25 PM
NNY
080808 Offline
trapper
080808  Offline
trapper

NNY
Scout and look for sign. Only use the #1 in a drowning set.

Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7442079
12/26/21 12:35 PM
W NY
Turtledale Offline
trapper
Turtledale  Offline
trapper

W NY
Muskrats love cattails

NYSTA, NTA, FTA, life member Erie county trappers assn.,life member Catt.county trappers
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7442080
West Central MN
20scout Online content
trapper
20scout  Online Content
trapper

West Central MN
Join your state trapping association and see if there is anyone locally who can mentor you. You will be light years ahead with a someone who would be willing to take you along and answer your questions first hand.

Common sense is a not a vegetable that does well in everyone's garden.
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7442115
12/26/21 01:30 PM
12/26/21 01:30 PM
Frazee, MN
B
backroadsarcher Offline
trapper
backroadsarcher  Offline
trapper
B

Frazee, MN
For used traps watch Trap Shed forum on here some of us always have used traps on there for sale. Oh welcome to the addiction. Once you start catching critters you will be hooked. Like said above if you have cat tails you should have rats. Plus like 20scout mentioned join your local organization and start asking questions. You will get a lot of help on here also.

Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7442130
12/26/21 01:53 PM
12/26/21 01:53 PM
VA
isaacsbees Offline OP
trapper
isaacsbees  Offline OP
trapper

VA
Thanks to everyone for the tips!!

It's a question of whether we're going to go forward into the future, or past to the... to the back.

-Dan Quayle
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7442372
12/26/21 08:11 PM
12/26/21 08:11 PM
Indiana
cattails Offline
trapper
cattails  Offline
trapper

Indiana
Is there anything that rules out the possibility of muskrats being in an area.?......Yes.... Large trees, I never find rats in areas that has trees

Last edited by cattails; 12/26/21 08:11 PM.
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7444339
12/29/21 04:11 AM
12/29/21 04:11 AM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Here are a few trap shopping and trapping tips:
1. Used traps on the Trap Shed are usually overpriced plus postage and are still used traps.
2. New traps are usually a better value. They are new without some possible damage, crazy modification, or half rusted away. They are sometimes no more expensive than used traps plus postage.
3. Buying new traps, you know what you will receive and when.
4. Check out Minnesota Trapline Supply for their beginner kits - traps, lure, gloves, etc. They have what you need In a kit at a good value.
5. PCS Outdoors is a good company to shop with as well. Maybe they will start offering beginner kits too.
6. There are many good to great muskrat lures. I have caught loads of muskrats with Hawbakers muskrat lure. It smells like trapping!
7. Scout everywhere to get permission to trap as much muskrat territory possible. In trapping, I have only ever been limited by land access. Landowners are usually happy to let you get rid of problem muskrats for them. Without anywhere to trap, you are just a trap collector.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7444476
12/29/21 09:28 AM
12/29/21 09:28 AM
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Paul Dobbins Offline
"Trapperman custodian"
Paul Dobbins  Offline
"Trapperman custodian"

Goldsboro, North Carolina
What would be ideal is a mentor. The Shenandoah is a big valley, so I don't know where you are. I know a trapper hear Harrisonburg who may help.

Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7444540
12/29/21 10:51 AM
12/29/21 10:51 AM
Peoria County Illinois
Larry Baer Offline
trapper
Larry Baer  Offline
trapper

Peoria County Illinois
Creeks through cattle pasture never have rats for me.

That said - any water in any ditch or creek will have a rat or two - even if it is small. One tip off is if you glance at a grassy banked creek and the water is muddy - the muddy water is probably from rats. If you have rocky streams there are fewer rats. If the water is clear it doesn't always mean there are no rats but there are probably fewer. One thing those 110 traps are great for is setting in narrow spots in creeks. You want to set them in little narrow spots so the water runs through them. Rats will go through those narrow spots with running water in them. When you get a storm come through rats will move more than normal and the travel up and down stream with the high water and will go through your traps. A really great thing to look for is a pond or lake by a creek. Look for a small trail up the back of the dam between the creek and the pond. Set your 110 in that trail and you will get almost every rat in the pond and the creek eventually. These cross overs are great to catch a mink too. I use 110 traps a lot in little places. They are a great trap. Here are a couple pictures of spots they worked well for me.

Trail through grass along a creek; [Linked Image]
Cross over on a dam; [Linked Image]
Double on rats in a trail with running water around a spill way; [Linked Image]
Rat in a little run with a hole at the end of it; [Linked Image]
110 in front of a little pipe; [Linked Image]
Brick wired to a 110 set in front of a pipe under water; [Linked Image]
mink in the same set- see the tail in the water; [Linked Image]
This last one is a small run along a wall where I narrowed the water with the rock you see and used the rock to prop up the 100.; [Linked Image]

Check your laws and see if the 110 is legal to use this way. My laws might be different than yours. use your imagination and set little trails or runs you find. Sometimes rats leave very little sign. Sometimes when you catch a rat and you set your trap back you can get many rats from the same trap over and over so do the same thing over and over. I have gotten over 20 from the same set before trapping like this. As a rule you will get the local rats in 3 or 4 nights but more will come and if you set the travel routes like the creeks and cross overs you will have a steady drip drip of rats all season long plus you will get a few mink.
All of these posts give good advice. A mentor is the best. It's best to walk the streams. Its good to get your feet wet and look for tracks and sign and set on sign. Sign has o be fresh. Trapping like I do like this - the only sign I see is trails between water.

Lots of the dams I trap look like this; ste your trap in the taller grass so you can see the trail; [Linked Image]

Many are even close to people. Check your traps early and even two times a day if you have time. This time of year rats move all day. Soon they will be moving more looking for a mate. Stop trapping when you start to see bite marks in the hide or when your rules say you have to stop. Good luck! Send us some pictures.

I trap a lot of creeks like this; [Linked Image]
A lot of these are knee deep or less. See the rat on the left? See the muddy water? That says rats! That told me there were muskrats in this creek so I made a set with a small foothold. Make sure you have a long chain or wire if you use a foot hold trap so they make it to deep water.

Last edited by Larry Baer; 12/29/21 10:52 AM.

Just passin through
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7444865
12/29/21 05:52 PM
12/29/21 05:52 PM
Louisiana
M
MattLA Offline
trapper
MattLA  Offline
trapper
M

Louisiana
Originally Posted by isaacsbees
Hi everyone, I'm new to trapping and trying to start out with muskrats. I've got some equipment and I've studied up some, but I've got two major questions.

First, I am having trouble finding locations to trap and am wondering what bodies of water are most conducive (depth, current, vegetation, etc). I live in the Shenandoah Valley of VA and most water around me is farm creeks and ponds but I would appreciate any advice from y'all on how to tell a potential muskrat spot from a distance rather than looking for huts, bank dens, runs, etc. In other words, is there anything that rules out the possibility of muskrats in an area?

Second, here in VA we do not get much ice on our water so I'm wondering if y'all had some recommendations for trapping in warmer water.

I have 110 conibear traps and am trying to find some used #1 steel traps, so let me know if you have any of those as well! Thanks for taking the time to read my post and merry Christmas everyone smile

As another beginner, I would recommend you check a used auction site, I have been purchasing a lot of used traps off there. I am ok with some of them missing bits and bobs, I just don't want to buy newer stuff if older, used, works the same is available for less. I also recommend reading and I would call the state on tips on where to trap in your area, and specific laws to watch out for. Goodluck and hope you catch stuff!

Last edited by Tofan; 12/29/21 05:53 PM. Reason: word change
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7445220
12/29/21 11:28 PM
12/29/21 11:28 PM
VA
isaacsbees Offline OP
trapper
isaacsbees  Offline OP
trapper

VA
Thanks to everyone who responded, it's been a lot of help! Larry and Willy, thank you for taking time to write especially thorough advice! It means a lot!

-Isaac

-Dan Quayle
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7445226
12/29/21 11:35 PM
12/29/21 11:35 PM
VA
isaacsbees Offline OP
trapper
isaacsbees  Offline OP
trapper

VA
Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
What would be ideal is a mentor. The Shenandoah is a big valley, so I don't know where you are. I know a trapper hear Harrisonburg who may help.

I actually live right outside of Harrisonburg and would love to connect with him/her if you could PM me contact info smile

-Dan Quayle
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7445235
12/29/21 11:43 PM
12/29/21 11:43 PM
Ohio
W
Willy Firewood Offline
trapper
Willy Firewood  Offline
trapper
W

Ohio
Isaac - send me a pm if you have questions. Glad to help a new friend.
Another tip - buy traps made from good materials. Good steel lasts longer. Cheap traps have uses and reasons to buy them but better is better.

FRAC LIVES MATTER
Re: Advice for a newbie? [Re: isaacsbees] #7447938
01/01/22 04:59 PM
01/01/22 04:59 PM
VA
isaacsbees Offline OP
trapper
isaacsbees  Offline OP
trapper

VA
[Linked Image]

Found tracks, scat, and several bank dens. I'll start trapping the area shortly. Thanks to everyone for your guidance!

-Isaac

-Dan Quayle
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91