No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Best hiking boots [Re: WakopaWalker] #7435117
12/18/21 06:25 PM
12/18/21 06:25 PM
Nebraska
R
rawcalls Offline
trapper
rawcalls  Offline
trapper
R

Nebraska
I love my Meindl boots and would highly recommend. Never tried Crispi or any of the other brands mentioned in this thread.

Re: Best hiking boots [Re: Lugnut] #7435516
12/19/21 12:26 AM
12/19/21 12:26 AM
North Dakota
W
WakopaWalker Offline OP
trapper
WakopaWalker  Offline OP
trapper
W

North Dakota
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll have to try to find some new brands. Usually I buy most my clothes from the local farm store, the hiking boots included.

[b][/b]
Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I like Merrell for light weight and affordable.

the hiking boots of today are really a rugged walking shoe and not a true boot

I just got a new pair of Merrell hikers last weekend I think 90 dollars is what I paid I mostly wear them on weekends and may get 2-3 years from them my son will wear his every day and get 9 months

even when I was wearing red wing work boots every day they needed insoles about every 4-6 months and I might get a year out of a pair.

I agree that the hiking boots pictured are really just a beefy walking shoe. I've been wearing Keens in that style for several years but the soles kept separating. Had it happen on three pair in a row. Other than that it's a darn good boot and very comfortable. It's a shame they won't use a decent glue on their soles.

So I finally switched to Merrells a few months ago. They are okay, not as comfortable as the Keens. The jury is still out on durability but holding up well so far.

You must be heck on boots to burn through a pair of Red Wing work boots in year. I usually get at least double that out of mine with daily wear on the construction site.

I may look into the Crispis when it's time to replace the Merrells.

I've been thinking more about the fact that the hiking boots are not much more than a heavy duty walking shoe. The soles have mostly given out in the same spot, and it's one of the areas that's more like a shoe than a boot. I have had cowboy boots that have lasted years, but they were simple leather soles and stitching, ot rubber coating.

I work at a camp year round. When summer staff arrive, they like to keep track of how many steps they take with a fit-bit. For some of them it's the most exercise they have ever had. I run circles around them and can be on my feet, constantly moving for 15 hours. I'd guess that I log 12k to 15k steps a day during the summer. So yeah, I pretty hard on boots.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions.

Re: Best hiking boots [Re: WakopaWalker] #7435536
12/19/21 01:03 AM
12/19/21 01:03 AM
Green County Wisconsin
G
GREENCOUNTYPETE Offline
trapper
GREENCOUNTYPETE  Offline
trapper
G

Green County Wisconsin
they talk about replacing running shoes every 300-500 miles

my aunt and uncle were into ultra marathons , they went through shoes like mad

if you are walking 7.5 miles a day average in the summer 60 days would be about average life for a pair if you get 120 days your probably really wearing them out

more employers should offer clothing stipend for boots , the employee can order from a catalog or get reimbursed for things like boots and it can be counted as a business expense so that neither the business nor employee pay taxes on that.

when my wife worked at the co-op she got an amount of clothing she could order from the catalog it all had the co-op logo on it. as well as safety toe boots each year

it's a nice way to keep employees in good gear good gear leads to fewer work place injuries

America only has one issue, we have a Responsibility crisis and everything else stems from it.
Re: Best hiking boots [Re: WakopaWalker] #7436214
12/19/21 09:09 PM
12/19/21 09:09 PM
Southeast Ohio
amspoker Offline
trapper
amspoker  Offline
trapper

Southeast Ohio
Thanks for everyone's input, I've been looking into boots, this has been very helpful.

Levi
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread