No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors #7303727
07/11/21 12:26 PM
07/11/21 12:26 PM
Fredonia, PA.
Finster Offline OP
trapper
Finster  Offline OP
trapper

Fredonia, PA.

I BELIEVE IN MY GOD, MY COUNTRY AND IN MYSELF.
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7303939
07/11/21 06:18 PM
07/11/21 06:18 PM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
grin
Abbott has been a busy boy!

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7304160
07/12/21 12:17 AM
07/12/21 12:17 AM
USA MN
Snowpa Offline
trapper
Snowpa  Offline
trapper

USA MN
Could I purchase one if I went to TX.

Never Confuse Stupid With Crazy
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Snowpa] #7304167
07/12/21 03:35 AM
07/12/21 03:35 AM
Indiana
P
Providence Farm Offline
trapper
Providence Farm  Offline
trapper
P

Indiana
Originally Posted by Snowpa

No gun shop will sell you one with out going through the NFA process and sending to a dealer in your state.. They are still answering to the feds to keep their licenses. Besides you don't want to be the test case and you would be illegal once you crossed state lines to go back home.

Last edited by Providence Farm; 07/12/21 03:38 AM.
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Providence Farm] #7304218
07/12/21 07:29 AM
07/12/21 07:29 AM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Originally Posted by Snowpa

No gun shop will sell you one with out going through the NFA process and sending to a dealer in your state.. They are still answering to the feds to keep their licenses. Besides you don't want to be the test case and you would be illegal once you crossed state lines to go back home.
Agreed. Once you cross state lines, Feds DO have authority (interstate commerce).

This is how some states have (theoretically) legally rejected anti-2A federal law: Buy a firearm or accessory within that state, that was made in that state and doesn't leave that state and the federal gov has trouble showing that they actually have authority to regulate something that is completely the state's internal business.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7304260
07/12/21 08:58 AM
07/12/21 08:58 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
IIRC, Montana did pretty much the same thing with firearms in general. Made in, purchased in and stays in being the key factors. There's still the federal manufacturers license that might be at issue if they are made for retail sale. Federally no license is required for manufacture for personal use, ala 80%lowers, but to sale in state or out requires a license.
JMO, but an over reach and abuse of the commerce clause as in so many things the feds do.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7304268
07/12/21 09:03 AM
07/12/21 09:03 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Also I think the personal use only applies to non NFA items. Suppressors are NFA so just having the parts of one are a federal crime, constructive intent to build an NFA item.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7304274
07/12/21 09:14 AM
07/12/21 09:14 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
My guess is that this is either feel good thumb in the eye legislation that effectively does nothing or the set up for a test case. If the former all it will accomplish is getting a Texas citizen jammed up federally or if the latter I hope Texas throws their full support behind the poor schmuck who volunteers to be a guinea pig.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7304279
07/12/21 09:21 AM
07/12/21 09:21 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
JMO, but we need our states to start stepping up to the plate to defend their citizens when the feds step out of line.

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: warrior] #7304297
07/12/21 10:08 AM
07/12/21 10:08 AM
Central Maryland
E
E.Shell Offline
trapper
E.Shell  Offline
trapper
E

Central Maryland
Originally Posted by warrior
IIRC, Montana did pretty much the same thing with firearms in general. Made in, purchased in and stays in being the key factors...
Exactly.
There's still the federal manufacturers license that might be at issue if they are made for retail sale.
Yes, FFLs, (C-01 & C-07 in this case) are still required to comply with federal law.
Federally no license is required for manufacture for personal use, ala 80%lowers, but to sale in state or out requires a license.
Almost. Yes, you can still make your own home made firearm ('ghost gun' (sic)) for your own use, for the moment. To sell a homemade firearm *for profit*, or to make a firearm *with the intent to sell* requires a manufacturer's license, but some sales ARE allowed.

https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.c...-give-my-homemade-gun-another-person.htm

If I ever decided to sell or give away one of my homemade firearms (https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=4197), I would have to engrave it with a serial number, and my name/town & state as manufacturer. I could not sell it at a profit, although as long as it takes to make one on a manual mill, you'd have to sell it at about 6x the going retail price to make the first penny.
JMO, but an over reach and abuse of the commerce clause as in so many things the feds do.
Yup.
Originally Posted by warrior
Also I think the personal use only applies to non NFA items. Suppressors are NFA so just having the parts of one are a federal crime, constructive intent to build an NFA item.
True.

To make an NFA item like an SBR or suppressor, it has to be legal in your state (some states don't allow suppressors, for example, and my state has a 29" minimum length on SBRs) AND one must file (and get approved) a federal Form 1 prior to gathering parts and/or beginning manufacture. While suppressors, SBRs, SBSs and AOWs are covered under a Form 1, one is not allowed to make anything full-auto since 1986.

Last edited by E.Shell; 07/12/21 10:09 AM.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7304298
07/12/21 10:09 AM
07/12/21 10:09 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
The feds will enforce federal gun law. Under ks law you can build suppressers and firearms then stamp made in kansas on them and sell them to a kansas resident. Some guys in junction city are now felons for doing that. Also in ks its at felony to enforce federal gun law but the ATF thugs who arrested them never got charged. Just more feel good do nothing legislation. Maybe TX will step up and go to the supremes but KS did not.

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7304313
07/12/21 10:34 AM
07/12/21 10:34 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Ayn Rand

[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Deregulates Firearm Suppressors [Re: Finster] #7304315
07/12/21 10:37 AM
07/12/21 10:37 AM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
The full passage.

Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted – and you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.

Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread