No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269813
05/22/21 06:17 AM
05/22/21 06:17 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Very good questions. Maybe America's work habits is what made her the greatest nation on earth. Putting old folks in care facilities is a bad sign though.

Life ain't supposed to be easy.
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269815
05/22/21 06:21 AM
05/22/21 06:21 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
Ask D'jaba why he came to America to study rather than another 3rd world country.?

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269834
05/22/21 07:12 AM
05/22/21 07:12 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I know why he came to America Gary. The seminary he and I attend (and students from 88 other nations).
Same reason the Chinese and Rwandan and Ethiopian and Russian and on and on came to this particular seminary which still teaches a non-denominational orthodoxy (traditional) Christianity of the one, holy, catholic (universal) Apostolic Church. There's but a handful of these seminaries left in the world 300 years after the Enlightenment period. Sadly, most seminaries have integrated to the culture around them over that span of time.

KeniaKid, as always, you have a very strong answer and it seems pretty darn accurate. You have a solid lens on life and your answers are worth reflecting on. Thanks.
TRex, kind of a pointed answer brother trapper. Seems a bit judgmental as you warn others of being judgmental. Don't walk the liberal's path. Libs (philosophy, not political) like to paint their opposition with the lens of color they think.
My friend in the faith, a man I never met before 2019, has had an interesting life, and isn't judging us. He's asking. There is a difference and I am not intimidated by inquiring minds. I think it shows interest. He doesn't tell me how Americans outta live. He ask me "why" we live the way we do. Heck, most of it, I never thought much about before. I've never aimed at retirement as a destination but realize many do. My wife is one who uses the "retire someday" imagery often, and I have no idea what that is to be honest. Retire? From what?

So I appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'll share many of these with D'Jaba.
I also ask him about Gabon. Some ways of his culture seem similar to me and some things (men rearing boys after age 6) that are foreign as can be. For instance,"D'Jaba, what do you do when there's no husband in the home?"

We go back and forth a lot. All good.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269856
05/22/21 07:39 AM
05/22/21 07:39 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
Now were supposed to feel guilty for retiring? The reason Gabon is still a third world country where such things are not common is the average IQ is 64. In the United States an IQ of less than 70 is considered mentally retarded and qualifies for S.S. disability.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/en/country-rankings/average-iq-by-country

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: Wanna Be] #7269858
05/22/21 07:41 AM
05/22/21 07:41 AM
Minnesota
330-Trapper Offline

trapper
330-Trapper  Offline

trapper

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I can read from this that many haven’t put away for the future and therefore must work to survive. I personally haven’t met a person yet that could make more money retired and still keep working. I guess if your goal is to leave a legacy for your children you might. I wasn’t raised that way and didn’t raise my kids that way. Financial advisors are actually pretty decent folks and can let you know when it’s time. Had a buddy recently retire that is now drawing more than he was working, lol.
My dad retired from the military and then turned around and retired from the DOD. He and my mother are never home, lol. They’re traveling with no timeline. No one to answer to. No one that is dependent on them, except their outside cat, which I feed when they’re gone. They are retired and do what they want when they want.
Is there anyone on this site that’s still working and can take a month long vacation then come back home for a couple weeks and head out someplace new for another month and repeat as you desire? If so, please tell me your occupation. I get about 6 weeks of vacation but after that I’m working the rest of the year. But, when I retire, I’ll be able to do just that.

There is one Man on here who lives life that way... I hunted with him. Heck of a Guy!

NRA and NTA Life Member
www.BackroadsRevised@etsy.com

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: danny clifton] #7269875
05/22/21 08:12 AM
05/22/21 08:12 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Now were supposed to feel guilty for retiring? The reason Gabon is still a third world country where such things are not common is the average IQ is 64. In the United States an IQ of less than 70 is considered mentally retarded and qualifies for S.S. disability.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/en/country-rankings/average-iq-by-country

Where in this world did you come up with your thesis danny? I mean your first sentence.
The 2nd sentence isn't worth responding to since I'm not in the habit of judging other people's mental status.
I realize you'll stand upon your statement however since it's a Google find. You might also Google how incredibly useless and worthless IQ tests are.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269890
05/22/21 08:31 AM
05/22/21 08:31 AM
williamsburg ks
D
danny clifton Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
danny clifton  Offline
"Grumpy Old Man"
D

williamsburg ks
KeniaKid, as always, you have a very strong answer and it seems pretty darn accurate.

Because Americans mostly worship themselves

Kinda funny Mark they keep on re-doing the IQ thing and keep coming up with the same results. Google countries ranked by wealth. Pretty close to the avg IQ list. Another reality people dont like so they just disregard it

Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: KenaiKid] #7269898
05/22/21 08:37 AM
05/22/21 08:37 AM
Greene County,Virginia
R
run Offline
trapper
run  Offline
trapper
R

Greene County,Virginia
Originally Posted by KenaiKid
Mark, this is what I would tell him: Because Americans mostly worship themselves. We are not really a Christian culture in any sense except as a disappearing formality. In every practical sense, our culture is utterly humanist and self-serving. When a man worships himself, he worships his desire and preference. The human body is inherently lazy, especially when paired with a corrupt mind. For a lazy man, "not working" is the illusion of paradise. Ancient cultures like the Greeks indulged their laziness through slaves, servants, caste systems etc. We do it through the social safety net, regulated labor and retirement. Our prosperity has made it possible to normalize things that hardly exist in the 3rd world, or for most of history. I'm very grateful for the economic blessings that enable this expectation, but I hope I don't let modern convenience too strongly inform my worldview.

The Lord created men to tend the garden, til the ground, dominate the earth and species, multiply and build, sow, reap, and steward. For me work is a gift, role, and duty from the Lord, and I hope that financial stability never leads me to forget it.

Good answer.

wanna be goat farmer.
Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: danny clifton] #7269911
05/22/21 09:13 AM
05/22/21 09:13 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by danny clifton
KeniaKid, as always, you have a very strong answer and it seems pretty darn accurate.

Because Americans mostly worship themselves

Kinda funny Mark they keep on re-doing the IQ thing and keep coming up with the same results. Google countries ranked by wealth. Pretty close to the avg IQ list. Another reality people dont like so they just disregard it

I'm not arguing IQ may be linked to accumulating wealth. Guess then we'd have to dive in and clarify what wealth is. Cash is a common answer of course.
Some would argue that into this world I came naked, and naked from this world I will leave >>>> so then what does wealth look like?

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269915
05/22/21 09:18 AM
05/22/21 09:18 AM
wyoming
W
WyFurHarvesters Offline
trapper
WyFurHarvesters  Offline
trapper
W

wyoming
For me I was lucky, for the most part I always enjoyed the job I was doing. I was getting paid to learn, even jobs that I did not enjoy I was learning, how not to supervise or that I did not want to do that kind of job the rest of my life. I learned a lot of skills that I used throughout my life. I did like most always miss being at home to raise my kids and tend to my homestead. One day finally got a nest egg, paid off all debts and was done with it. been retired for all most 12 years and some days miss the jobs I worked at over the years. I am busier now or at least as busy as I have always been, so never really retired, just working for me now. I really feel folks that retire and sit on a couch most of the time miss life and have wasted life.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269916
05/22/21 09:19 AM
05/22/21 09:19 AM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

actually, wealth is almost directly related to how Free a society is.

that's why we're losing ours.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269917
05/22/21 09:20 AM
05/22/21 09:20 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Am I correct to summarize that freedom is a theme here?

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269923
05/22/21 09:34 AM
05/22/21 09:34 AM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Originally Posted by Mark June
Am I correct to summarize that freedom is a theme here?

I guess for me, it is. my great, great, great, great grandfather came to this country as a lad in 1742. his grist mill was burned to the ground by the Tories. as a forty-something year old, he joined the county militia to fight the British. guess some of it rubbed off.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269952
05/22/21 10:14 AM
05/22/21 10:14 AM
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

Mark, keep in mind (before you answer your friend) that we at T-Man are an odd bunch; and do not (even FAINTLY) resemble the norm in America.

VERY skewed sample, my Friend!

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269958
05/22/21 10:23 AM
05/22/21 10:23 AM
Sandhills Nebraska
G
Gary Benson Offline
trapper
Gary Benson  Offline
trapper
G

Sandhills Nebraska
I remember a religious bunch that came to America to study and ended up flying planes into buildings. They didn't like Americans being prosperous and happy. Ya never know what someone is thinking but worldwide America seems to be generally disliked.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269959
05/22/21 10:24 AM
05/22/21 10:24 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Now you went and done it white marlin. Now you went and dooooone IT!
You are gonna get a gaggle of PMs making you realize that if everybody was like _______, this world would be a perfect place.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269979
05/22/21 11:01 AM
05/22/21 11:01 AM
WI
B
BvrRetriever Offline
trapper
BvrRetriever  Offline
trapper
B

WI
I’m a believer in that retirement allows financial freedom to do what you want when you want. You work to save enough to allow that freedom in retirement. Often times, people continue to work during retirement but it’s at something they enjoy/believe in and money is no longer the driving force. It’s more about personal satisfaction.

It sounds like your buddy D’jaba retired from being an attorney. Ask him why. It also sounds like he had a whole village saving up for what he wanted to do/believes in. Maybe he doesn’t understand the concept of financial freedom because he got it given to him by his village.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: white marlin] #7269981
05/22/21 11:06 AM
05/22/21 11:06 AM
Iowa
T
trapdog1 Offline
trapper
trapdog1  Offline
trapper
T

Iowa
Originally Posted by white marlin
Mark, keep in mind (before you answer your friend) that we at T-Man are an odd bunch; and do not (even FAINTLY) resemble the norm in America.

VERY skewed sample, my Friend!

It's the rest of the world that's odd, not us! whistle

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269989
05/22/21 11:14 AM
05/22/21 11:14 AM
Iowa
R
riverratdm Offline
trapper
riverratdm  Offline
trapper
R

Iowa
To keep a goal in front of people otherwise no one would want to work in corperate america.

Re: A question I can't answer. Can you? [Re: ] #7269991
05/22/21 11:15 AM
05/22/21 11:15 AM
The Hill Country of Texas
Leftlane Offline
"HOSS"
Leftlane  Offline
"HOSS"

The Hill Country of Texas
JMO but 2 things always make me happy. 1 is money in the bank and 2 is not givin a rats red rear end what society thinks of me or how I live

“What’s good for me may not be good for the weak minded.”
Captain Gus McCrae- Texas Rangers

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread