No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249152
04/21/21 10:10 PM
04/21/21 10:10 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by J Staton
Mark, Matthew 7, "judging a tree by it's fruit" is what I'm referring to when it pertains to Christians judging.
Thanks to everyone for all the input.

Remember JS,
Jesus' primary audience for Matthew 5-7 is believers. Of course He's teaching His Disciples also (Mt 5:1).
We all have a nature to denigrate others junk rather than our own.

Chapter 7, the Greek word krino, a verb meaning "to pass judgement" is used twice in the first 5 words of verse 1 (I can't show Greek on Tman).
The first krino is called an imperative (mood) so it's a command and it's in what's called an active voice... an action done by someone on themselves.
The second krino is a subjunctive (mood = might happen) and it's in a passive voice.... an action done by someone else to a person.

All of this to say, Greek is helpful in that that passage DOES NOT READ, don't judge others.
It reads.... pass judgement on yourself as you are going to be judged by another (guess who wink ).
See the difference?
This passage is NOT talking about discernment and judgement of others.

Of course darkness uses phrases like this, as the great deceiver, to twist the logos and tickle ears.
Remember logos twisted by Satan as the serpent in the beginning; "You surely will not die!"

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249155
04/21/21 10:13 PM
04/21/21 10:13 PM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Paul said this about it.....According to the grace of God which was given to me, as a wise master builder I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let each one take heed how he builds on it . . . Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one's work will become manifest; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and fire will try each one's work, of what sort it is (1 Corinthians 3:10,12,13).

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Christians: Question [Re: LLtrapper] #7249161
04/21/21 10:18 PM
04/21/21 10:18 PM

J
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by LLtrapper
It is where we will actually get our rewards. The many or few crowns. It is said that your works on earth play out here. I know it is a three staged platform like the Olympics from what I have read where Christ will give out the Crowns. It is not where we will be judged. That will happen earlier. LLL

I always thought the Bema was considered as the judgement seat of Christ for believers. What judgement are you referring to LLL that occurs before the Bema occurs?

Last edited by J Staton; 04/21/21 10:20 PM.
Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249164
04/21/21 10:22 PM
04/21/21 10:22 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

The Apostle Paul's letters, often written from a prison, are the reason us Gentiles even type these words.

Look up his Roman prison pics online if you'd like to see what real suffering for the Gospel looks like.
Incredible persecution and incredible Apostolic strength by the Holy Spirit through it all.
The man's back must have been a mess of scars.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249167
04/21/21 10:24 PM
04/21/21 10:24 PM

J
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J

Originally Posted by Mark June
The Apostle Paul's letters, often written from a prison, are the reason us Gentiles even type these words.

Look up his Roman prison pics online if you'd like to see what real suffering for the Gospel looks like.
Incredible persecution and incredible Apostolic strength by the Holy Spirit through it all.
The man's back must have been a mess of scars.

Blessings,
Mark

Mark, as the Marxist take power we may have the very pleasure of experiencing such things.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249171
04/21/21 10:32 PM
04/21/21 10:32 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Two years in a dungeon (it's really not posh enough to be called a prison) with the only water you have seeping in on rocks to a rock gouge in the floor.
And for a while, there were 47 other prisoners at one time in this hole in the Mamertine prison in Rome.
Peter and Paul baptized people in the cup of water in this dungeon.

Oh, and they drop you down in through the hole on the top of the cell.
There were no lights.

[Linked Image]

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249351
04/22/21 08:05 AM
04/22/21 08:05 AM
Pottawatamie co. IA
LLtrapper Offline
"The Coon Combine"
LLtrapper  Offline
"The Coon Combine"

Pottawatamie co. IA
Originally Posted by LLtrapper
It is where we will actually get our rewards. The many or few crowns. It is said that your works on earth play out here. I know it is a three staged platform like the Olympics from what I have read where Christ will give out the Crowns. It is not where we will be judged. That will happen earlier. LLL

I always thought the Bema was considered as the judgement seat of Christ for believers. What judgement are you referring to LLL that occurs before the Bema occurs?

The Judgement of whether you are to be in heaven or (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) will have occurred at this point. The rapture is over which is the resurrection for believers. The Bema seat or Judgement seat is the place where Christ will judge you for the works you have done since you excepted salvation as a mortal man. Some will have many crowns while others will have few. It is actually the place where your deeds will have merit and is not based on the Grace and belief that got you into heaven. LLL

Isaiah 51:6 But my salvation will last forever, my righteousness will never fail.
Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249361
04/22/21 08:19 AM
04/22/21 08:19 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

It's important to note Scripture tells us that the blessed hope of the gospel is not to end up in heaven, but rather as embodied (resurrected) upon the New Earth. (Rev. 21).
The Sadducees didn't believe in resurrection while others (some Pharisees & others) believed resurrection had already happened in the time of Paul.

We still have both these groups among us today.

Oh and Revelation 20:11-15 helps understated all will stand embodied for judgement (believers and unbelievers) Everybody gets a body.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249378
04/22/21 08:43 AM
04/22/21 08:43 AM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Mark, as the Marxist take power we may have the very pleasure of experiencing such things.

The church has never been tested in this country. We've had times of revival and awakenings but never any serious persecution. That may be about to change.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249463
04/22/21 10:39 AM
04/22/21 10:39 AM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

I have wise people teaching that believe exactly that Posco.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249504
04/22/21 11:22 AM
04/22/21 11:22 AM
PA
R
RKG Offline
trapper
RKG  Offline
trapper
R

PA

Well worth the watch.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249514
04/22/21 11:32 AM
04/22/21 11:32 AM
Nebraska
silkyplainscoyot Online content
trapper
silkyplainscoyot  Online Content
trapper

Nebraska
Two years in a dungeon (it's really not posh enough to be called a prison) with the only water you have seeping in on rocks to a rock gouge in the floor.
And for a while, there were 47 other prisoners at one time in this hole in the Mamertine prison in Rome.
Peter and Paul baptized people in the cup of water in this dungeon.

Oh, and they drop you down in through the hole on the top of the cell.
There were no lights.

[Linked Image]

I doubt any literal baptism took place in the prison. The apostles understood that baptism was by full immersion in water not a a sprinkling or a splash of water like many do today.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249592
04/22/21 01:32 PM
04/22/21 01:32 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

^^^ Where does Scripture direct us to a mandate of only full immersion?

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249611
04/22/21 02:15 PM
04/22/21 02:15 PM
Nebraska
trapper
trapper

Nebraska

Mark 1:9, 10: “Jesus . . . was baptized in the Jordan [River] by John. And immediately on coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being parted.”

Acts 8:38: “They both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.” They both “went down into the water.” Afterward they came “up out of the water.”

These instances imply, not a small ankle-deep pool, but a large body of water into and out of which they would have to walk. Further, the fact that baptism was also used to symbolize a burial indicates complete submersion. Ro 6:4-6: Col 2:12.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249640
04/22/21 03:07 PM
04/22/21 03:07 PM
PA
R
RKG Offline
trapper
RKG  Offline
trapper
R

PA
Ohhh, I was going to reply, but then I saw that Mark was the one that posed the question.

Hopefully, I'm smarter than the yotes he traps, because me thinks he set a trap in cleverly concealed bed..... I await his reply.

(If I'm right, kudos for getting us to break old habits and mindsets, and to think outside of the box when necessary).

Re: Christians: Question [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #7249648
04/22/21 03:18 PM
04/22/21 03:18 PM

M
Mark June OP
Unregistered
Mark June OP
Unregistered
M

Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot

Mark 1:9, 10: “Jesus . . . was baptized in the Jordan [River] by John. And immediately on coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being parted.”

Acts 8:38: “They both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.” They both “went down into the water.” Afterward they came “up out of the water.”

These instances imply, not a small ankle-deep pool, but a large body of water into and out of which they would have to walk. Further, the fact that baptism was also used to symbolize a burial indicates complete submersion. Ro 6:4-6: Col 2:12.

Since baptism is not salvific, what you quote comes from the narrative (story). Where is the imperative command to do this was my question? I'm not aware there is any, but perhaps you see something in the text?

To take what happens in the biblical story to those who went before us, is not an imperative. It's just blessed story for us to better know the character of God.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249656
04/22/21 03:36 PM
04/22/21 03:36 PM
Nebraska
trapper
trapper

Nebraska
The Bible says that baptism is an important step to gaining salvation. 1 Pet. 3:21: Baptism, which corresponds to this, is also now saving you (not by the removing of the filth of the flesh, but by the request to God for a good conscience), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: silkyplainscoyot] #7249659
04/22/21 03:47 PM
04/22/21 03:47 PM
Maine, Aroostook
Posco Online content
trapper
Posco  Online Content
trapper

Maine, Aroostook
Originally Posted by silkyplainscoyot
The Bible says that baptism is an important step to gaining salvation. 1 Pet. 3:21: Baptism, which corresponds to this, is also now saving you (not by the removing of the filth of the flesh, but by the request to God for a good conscience), through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

We are passed from death unto life the moment we believe, not the moment we're baptized.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249660
04/22/21 03:49 PM
04/22/21 03:49 PM

J
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J Staton OP
Unregistered
J

While I also agree with immersion, I expect one could be baptized with dirt if that were the only thing available. I see baptism as the first act of obedience.

Re: Christians: Question [Re: ] #7249678
04/22/21 04:36 PM
04/22/21 04:36 PM
PA
R
RKG Offline
trapper
RKG  Offline
trapper
R

PA
OK, I'll cautiously throw my understanding out there:

"Baptize" is a transliteration- a Greek word "made" English.
From the Greek:

βαπτίζω baptízō, bap-tid'-zo; from a derivative of G911; to immerse, submerge; to make whelmed (i.e. fully wet); used only (in the New Testament) of ceremonial ablution, especially (technically) of the ordinance of Christian baptism:—Baptist, baptize, wash.

Uses of this word in other Greek context, included making of pickles ("submerging" them in a pickling substance, not merely sprinkling or rinsing), and also in dyeing cloth (same idea). The word used indicates a full submersion.

New Testament baptism, shows identity with Christ in His death, burial, and resurrection to new life. It is an outward expression of an inward change.

My understanding goes back to the Jewish practice of the "mikvah", more precisely the "tevilah"- the ritualistic cleansing of the whole flesh, prior to a sanctified act taking place (the priest on the day of Yom Kippur), or the act of an individual showing a change from one aspect of life to another (marriage ceremony, entering the temple, etc).

Jewish rabbis would pay boys to watch as they lowered themselves into the mikvah pool to ensure that their head was completely covered by the water. It was... well, an "immersive" experience, a total commitment.

John the Baptizer was baptizing individuals prior to the crucifixion, calling upon people to "repent" from their ways. The "tevilah", aka the baptism, showed an outward manifestion of an inward repentance, Change from trusting in keeping the law, or doing good works, or believing in self, to the way of the Messiah.

When Jesus told the 10 lepers to bath in the river, it is my understanding, he told them to go practice a "tevilah", using the river as their "mikvah" to "baptize" themselves. A change from leprousy, to cleanliness, and then to show themselves to the priest.

Here is where I thought the 'trap" might be. I deal with some individuals who are 100% against death bed confessions and salvation. I guess to them, it doesn't seem fair that someone was able to live a life contrary to God, and then at the last minute, on the last breath, make it into heaven. My counter is always the thief on the cross, and the fact that God is longsuffering and patient towards us, not willing that any should perish, and that as long as man has breath, God extends grace.

Same mentality follows with baptism. "Unless they can be dunked, it don't count". Well, what about the man on the death bed, embracing the gift and wanting to be obedience in baptism? Isn't there allowance for "the best we got" and it's the intent that matters? Not that we are going to make it the practice, but when the exception is evident, mercy is allowed.

Last edited by RKG; 04/22/21 04:49 PM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread