No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Talking Of Hats ... #7223244
03/21/21 11:22 PM
03/21/21 11:22 PM
Europe
P
Pest's Dad Offline OP
trapper
Pest's Dad  Offline OP
trapper
P

Europe
Flipper56's post, about his skunk hat, just reminded me. I once read an article about Davy Crockett and his signature hat.

I'm going purely by twenty year old memory now. But, as I remember it, this guy - the author - was from South Carolina and presented a seemingly pretty good case for his assertion that Crockett's hat would Not have been a 'coon one. But made of a cat.

Again, forgive my vagueness. It Was a one time reading of an article a long time ago, on a members only group. I seem to remember he'd had it peer reviewed though? What ever. The thrust of it was that a character like Crockett wouldn't have sported a hat made of just a racoon.

Coons would have been considered 'Two a penny' material, back then. Nothing much to write home about. Where as a Bobcat / Lynx would have been considered more of a notch.

Just idly curious smile

Re: Talking Of Hats ... [Re: Pest's Dad] #7223253
03/21/21 11:43 PM
03/21/21 11:43 PM
Asheville, NC
C
charles Offline
trapper
charles  Offline
trapper
C

Asheville, NC
Bet his head got hot at the Alamo.

Re: Talking Of Hats ... [Re: Pest's Dad] #7223257
03/21/21 11:51 PM
03/21/21 11:51 PM
Lakeland,Minnesota
B
Bogmaster Offline
trapper
Bogmaster  Offline
trapper
B

Lakeland,Minnesota
No Charles,there was a big cold snap during the battle of the Alamo.Temps actually were at or just below the freezing point.So the hat would have nade crockett more comfortable.
Tom

If my feet aren't wet,I must not be trapping.
Tom Olson
MTA life member#100,also WTA life member
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread