Strictly Trapping

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Trading Post
(Please support F&T Trading Post, our sponsor for the Trapping Only Forum)

TrappersPost
Please support Trappers post, a sponsor of the Strictly Trapping Forum

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Storing body grip traps [Re: trapper al] #7219442
03/18/21 05:16 AM
03/18/21 05:16 AM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by trapper al
I dont understand the advantage of leavin them compressed. What am i missing here?I only use 110s so i am guessin its just easier to set them beforehand. How long do they useally last and is it even worth it to change the springs?
/.

I don’t change out springs. The cost difference isn’t enough to mess with them. Just sell the old traps for cheap and buy new ones. If someone has a bunch of free time maybe it’s worth their while...

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Storing body grip traps [Re: bowhunterks] #7220056
03/18/21 06:36 PM
03/18/21 06:36 PM
Hubbard , Ohio
H
Honeydog Offline
trapper
Honeydog  Offline
trapper
H

Hubbard , Ohio
I have left some compressed and some not for many years. Never noticed a difference.

Re: Storing body grip traps [Re: Boco] #7225397
03/24/21 11:31 AM
03/24/21 11:31 AM
AK
H
HamNBones Offline
trapper
HamNBones  Offline
trapper
H

AK
From Boco:
So you remove the springs from the trap every season?

Of course not. There's a rational limit to storing and taking care of things. Fully removing the spring would be excessive. But throwing them out on the ground and running through them with my setters is easy, so I take a bit of time to do it.

From Boco:
Hooked or not the springs are always under tension on a trap.

The amount of tension does matter though. The greater the tension, the more creep that will occur. There's a big difference between compressed and uncompressed (but still on the trap).

Re: Storing body grip traps [Re: HamNBones] #7225427
03/24/21 12:12 PM
03/24/21 12:12 PM
Flint, Michigan
bhugo Offline
trapper
bhugo  Offline
trapper

Flint, Michigan
Originally Posted by HamNBones
From Boco:
So you remove the springs from the trap every season?

Of course not. There's a rational limit to storing and taking care of things. Fully removing the spring would be excessive. But throwing them out on the ground and running through them with my setters is easy, so I take a bit of time to do it.

From Boco:
Hooked or not the springs are always under tension on a trap.

The amount of tension does matter though. The greater the tension, the more creep that will occur. There's a big difference between compressed and uncompressed (but still on the trap).

You may be confusing creep and set. If I remember correctly from my college days, creep was a pretty high temperature phenomenon in spring steel. Set would be what causes an initial weakness from compression but only initially. It was a while ago for me though.

Member MTPCA, FTA and NTA
Re: Storing body grip traps [Re: bowhunterks] #7227861
03/26/21 11:53 PM
03/26/21 11:53 PM
AK
H
HamNBones Offline
trapper
HamNBones  Offline
trapper
H

AK
It's my understanding that creep is often associated to prolonged exposure at high temps, but can be caused by any stress for a long period of time, even at low temps.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Drifter, Wolfdog91