No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Coosa Wma turkey hunting? #7191484
02/21/21 05:50 PM
02/21/21 05:50 PM
NE Ohio
U
USAFtrapper Offline OP
trapper
USAFtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
U

NE Ohio
Any Bama boys hunt this for turkey or have any knowledge of the area? My Papa lives close and we will be visiting the last of March first of April. My dad used to push dogs through there when he was young and he said it was quite thick, he wasn't a turkey hunter at the time so doesn't have any knowledge on that.

Any current info would be appreciated. We plan staying on lake Mitchell so possible lake access if I bring my boat.

Thanks, Aaron.

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
Re: Coosa Wma turkey hunting? [Re: USAFtrapper] #7191497
02/21/21 06:02 PM
02/21/21 06:02 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Never hunted that one but public land gets pounded hard in Bama. No quotas or anything but gates and walk in to limit hunter numbers. If I were looking to hunt public I would pick one of the more out of the way ones like mulberry fork or skyline and look for the hardest to get to spots.
Coosa is not to far off the beaten path between Birmingham and Montgomery which is the highest traveled and densest populated stretch of road in the state.

[Linked Image]
Re: Coosa Wma turkey hunting? [Re: USAFtrapper] #7191509
02/21/21 06:21 PM
02/21/21 06:21 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Another thing on public land. Since they get hit hard by run and gun hunters a good strategy is the old yelp three times and shut up later in the morning will often times get one to slip in silently if you're willing to sit and wait him out.

[Linked Image]
Re: Coosa Wma turkey hunting? [Re: USAFtrapper] #7191573
02/21/21 07:18 PM
02/21/21 07:18 PM
Water Valley, Mississippi
cheechako Offline
trapper
cheechako  Offline
trapper

Water Valley, Mississippi
Never hunted Coosa but it’s in a pretty area. Should be fun to go give them a shot. Can’t go wrong turkey hunting in the spring around here.

Outdooralabama.com is where you go for everything you need to know about public land, licenses, etc. I’ve found the game and fish folks to be very helpful if you have any questions.

Good luck!

The trapper formerly known as sanfo008
Re: Coosa Wma turkey hunting? [Re: USAFtrapper] #7191578
02/21/21 07:21 PM
02/21/21 07:21 PM
NE Ohio
U
USAFtrapper Offline OP
trapper
USAFtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
U

NE Ohio
Thanks for the info, that's what I figure the answer would be. Probably won't have an opportunity to travel much to other wma's due to family, just thought it would be nice to hit since it will be close.

Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.
Re: Coosa Wma turkey hunting? [Re: USAFtrapper] #7192197
02/22/21 12:07 PM
02/22/21 12:07 PM
NE Ohio
U
USAFtrapper Offline OP
trapper
USAFtrapper  Offline OP
trapper
U

NE Ohio
Anyone actually hunt this wma?

Re: Coosa Wma turkey hunting? [Re: USAFtrapper] #7192226
02/22/21 12:41 PM
02/22/21 12:41 PM
Georgia
warrior Offline
trapper
warrior  Offline
trapper

Georgia
Its been more than ten years since I set foot on an Alabama WMA bit a few things I remember.

Have both licenses, hunting and WMA, plus don't forget to sign the WMA map sheet as it is your "written permission". You will get a ticket if you don't. Not a bad idea to carry a topo and gps to cross reference as some areas and property lines are poorly marked. In areas and seasons requiring hunter orange, wear it from before you get out of the truck until you get back in. Don't even so much as lift your cap to scratch your head, I've seen tickets issued for no orange ten foot from the truck with hat in hand. My policy was always a vest or better yet the bare minimum in straps worn like a vest. Wear is the operative word in the regulation.

Of course alot may have changed since I moved to Georgia.

[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread