No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers ***NO POLITICS
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting~The Pen and Quill

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

Minnesota Trapline Products
Please support our sponsor for the Trappers Talk Page - Minnesota Trapline Products

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Stock market question for those in the know #7160540
01/29/21 01:52 PM
01/29/21 01:52 PM
Idaho Falls, ID
G
Grandpa Trapper Offline OP
trapper
Grandpa Trapper  Offline OP
trapper
G

Idaho Falls, ID
I am not involved in the stock market. So is this GameStop thing as big as a mess as I am reading or is it a media hype?

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160543
01/29/21 01:54 PM
01/29/21 01:54 PM
S.E. Ohio
M
M.Magis Offline
trapper
M.Magis  Offline
trapper
M

S.E. Ohio
From what I can tell, it's a big mess. Started hearing about it before the media decided it was worth reporting on, and sort of assumed it was just internet chatter. Guess not.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160544
01/29/21 01:56 PM
01/29/21 01:56 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
It has the potential to become extremely serious. It needs to be halted IMO before we see a complete meltdown

Mean As Nails
Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160548
01/29/21 02:00 PM
01/29/21 02:00 PM
central Haudenosaunee, the De...
W
white marlin Offline
trapper
white marlin  Offline
trapper
W

central Haudenosaunee, the De...
needs to be halted by whom and FOR whom?

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160554
01/29/21 02:03 PM
01/29/21 02:03 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
It's already been halted for the most part as your not being allowed to buy the stock, only sell. My understanding is that the hedge funds had shorted more shares than there were available to purchase, a group of investors on Reddit noticed it and triggered a mess. Think of the scene at the end of Trading Places with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd but in reverse. Prices started soaring as the hedge funds had to try to buy shares as quick as they could to minimize losses.

Similar stocks are in the same position and already they're blocking those shares from being bought.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: white marlin] #7160556
01/29/21 02:05 PM
01/29/21 02:05 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by white marlin
needs to be halted by whom and FOR whom?

It needs to be halted by the SEC for the benefit of everyone invested in the market

Mean As Nails
Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160557
01/29/21 02:07 PM
01/29/21 02:07 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Apparently some of the platforms have reenabled trading as the stock is up 70% or close to it today.

BTW Bitcoin is up 6000 from yesterday

Last edited by SNIPERB🦝; 01/29/21 02:07 PM.
Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7160560
01/29/21 02:10 PM
01/29/21 02:10 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by SNIPERB🦝
It's already been halted for the most part as your not being allowed to buy the stock, only sell. My understanding is that the hedge funds had shorted more shares than there were available to purchase, a group of investors on Reddit noticed it and triggered a mess. Think of the scene at the end of Trading Places with Eddie Murphy and Dan Akroyd but in reverse. Prices started soaring as the hedge funds had to try to buy shares as quick as they could to minimize losses.

Similar stocks are in the same position and already they're blocking those shares from being bought.

Buying is not currently halted. I can buy shares right now with one mouse click. I'm not going to but I could.

One of the problems is that one group of players is constrained by and acting within the law. The other group is not. This will not end well for anyone if it's allowed to continue.

You're right too that this same reddit group is moving on to stocks like American Airlines, Bed Bath & Beyond and a few others. Stay far away !!

Mean As Nails
Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160561
01/29/21 02:12 PM
Pennsylvania
T
Tim64 Offline
trapper
Tim64  Offline
trapper
T

Pennsylvania
Hedge fund managers have been shorting stocks since hedge funds were first established. Perfectly legal. They had a marked advantage since AUM were very large, sometimes in the billions. With this kind of fiscal power they could easily manipulate a single stock or groups of stocks. What the reddit investors learned is that if they pulled their collective resources they could counter the shorts. Perfectly legal. If people decide that these events should not occur, then the laws and rules must be changed. But new rules should not just favor Wall Street so there must be some very deliberative thought before changing the game.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: white17] #7160562
Midland, TX
W
WestTexan Offline
trapper
WestTexan  Offline
trapper
W

Midland, TX
The truth is that the shady hedge fund traders have made billions off of spreading negative information about companies, and then bet ("short") that the stock will go down. They benefit from the failure of companies vs. most of us who invest in the long game, meaning that we are putting money into the market which helps companies. These hedge fund guys do nothing to benefit the economy with their tactics. I think the Reddit game-plan is hilarious and exactly what Wall St. deserved. I hope the Reddit followers (and others) go after them more. This could all be solved if the hedge fund sharks didn't get too greedy. Then again, everyone is greedy on Wall St.

From my understanding, Robinhood is back to allowing people to buy GameStop, etc. on their app. I think it's too late, though. They committed suicide yesterday when they rigged the market to protect the hedge fund guys and elites at the expense of the everyday investor. I hope they have to close their doors and people should be jailed.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: white17] #7160564
01/29/21 02:15 PM
01/29/21 02:15 PM
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
Originally Posted by white17

Buying is not currently halted. I can buy shares right now with one mouse click. I'm not going to but I could.

One of the problems is that one group of players is constrained by and acting within the law. The other group is not. This will not end well for anyone if it's allowed to continue.

You're right too that this same reddit group is moving on to stocks like American Airlines, Bed Bath & Beyond and a few others. Stay far away !!

There's some debate as to whether the Reddit thing was legal. Most of what Ive seen suggest it is legal because it was public information.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160569
01/29/21 02:17 PM
Iowa
R
riverratdm Offline
trapper
riverratdm  Offline
trapper
R

Iowa
https://youtu.be/jJTJi1zyqhw

Its the same thing the big guys do but this time its little guys banding together. Everyone I have heard involved in it invested small amounts and plan on loosing it. It is being done to srcew the big hedga fund guys.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160570
Rodney,Ohio
SNIPERBBB Offline
trapper
SNIPERBBB  Offline
trapper

Rodney,Ohio
One of the funny things on this is one of the biggest owners of GameStop stock is the biggest fund Blackrock which now had more people in the adminstration than Goldman Sachs ever had.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160574
01/29/21 02:20 PM
01/29/21 02:20 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
I disagree. Short sellers serve a public interest by raising questions about accounting practices, false reporting, defective products, misleading statements in SEC documents. Some times they are wrong but if they were wrong most of the time they would be out of business.

What the hedge funds are doing is, as Tim notes above, perfectly legal. On the other hand, the Reddit group MAY be the ones engaged in price manipulation by conspiring online with one another.. I know that sounds like a stretch, but just imagine if the hedge funds were talking with one another and coordinating their activities.

You can't have a market where only one side plays by the rules. Sort of like elections.

Mean As Nails
Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7160577
01/29/21 02:21 PM
01/29/21 02:21 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
One of the funny things on this is one of the biggest owners of GameStop stock is the biggest fund Blackrock which now had more people in the adminstration than Goldman Sachs ever had.

There is a LOT wrong with Blackrock in my opinion

Mean As Nails
Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: SNIPERBBB] #7160581
01/29/21 02:24 PM
01/29/21 02:24 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK

There's some debate as to whether the Reddit thing was legal. Most of what Ive seen suggest it is legal because it was public information.

I'm sure the public information part is legal. It's the coordinated action and planning by the Reddit group that will be investigated.

Mean As Nails
Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: Grandpa Trapper] #7160585
01/29/21 02:34 PM
01/29/21 02:34 PM
Midland, TX
W
WestTexan Offline
trapper
WestTexan  Offline
trapper
W

Midland, TX
Wall Street can dogpile with "shorts", so the average day-trader should be able to buy "long" and drive the price up. The elites just hate the fact that the average Joe (who they view as beneath them) is beating them and costing them billions. The fact of the matter is the hedge fund game has been put on notice that they can't rape and pillage without exposing themselves and potentially taking one in the shorts. Even with the massive wrongdoing yesterday by halting all buying, I predict the elites will escape without any legal ramifications as usual. Wall St. is in bed with D.C., and we've seen how they view "justice". Its a joke.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: white17] #7160590
01/29/21 02:41 PM
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by white17
I disagree. Short sellers serve a public interest by raising questions about accounting practices, false reporting, defective products, misleading statements in SEC documents. Some times they are wrong but if they were wrong most of the time they would be out of business.

What the hedge funds are doing is, as Tim notes above, perfectly legal. On the other hand, the Reddit group MAY be the ones engaged in price manipulation by conspiring online with one another.. I know that sounds like a stretch, but just imagine if the hedge funds were talking with one another and coordinating their activities.

You can't have a market where only one side plays by the rules. Sort of like elections.

They do have a place(short sellers)but when the CEO'S of the hedge funds companies go on tv bad mouthing a stock to manipulate it to their benefit and someone beats them at their own game, game on.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: WestTexan] #7160592
pa
H
hippie Offline
trapper
hippie  Offline
trapper
H

pa
Originally Posted by WestTexan
Wall Street can dogpile with "shorts", so the average day-trader should be able to buy "long" and drive the price up. The elites just hate the fact that the average Joe (who they view as beneath them) is beating them and costing them billions. The fact of the matter is the hedge fund game has been put on notice that they can't rape and pillage without exposing themselves and potentially taking one in the shorts. Even with the massive wrongdoing yesterday by halting all buying, I predict the elites will escape without any legal ramifications as usual. Wall St. is in bed with D.C., and we've seen how they view "justice". Its a joke.

Yep.

Re: Stock market question for those in the know [Re: WestTexan] #7160595
01/29/21 02:44 PM
01/29/21 02:44 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

white17  Offline

W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by WestTexan

I am not clear what you think was "wrongdoing yesterday". All buying was NOT halted. Opening purchases were halted. But you could initiate a closing trade with no problem. Brokerages are required by law to protect their customers and themselves.

Mean As Nails
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread