Wilderness Trapping and Living

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics
No Non-Target Catches *** No Links to Anti-trapping Sites *** No Avoiding Profanity Filter

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum

~Dobbins' Catalog~

ATS
(Please support Ted's Fur Shed, our sponsor for the Wilderness Page)

Alaska Trappers Association

Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lynx cycle [Re: nooksack] #7124554
01/06/21 11:17 PM
01/06/21 11:17 PM
Orergon
A
alaska viking Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
alaska viking  Offline
"Made it two years not being censored"
A

Orergon
Ohm, I'm not sure. I was just minding my own business
, picked up a couple of wires laying on the ground, and BAM! Here I amp.

Just doing what I want now.

Re: Lynx cycle [Re: nooksack] #7124570
01/06/21 11:27 PM
01/06/21 11:27 PM
Manitoba
N
Northof50 Offline
trapper
Northof50  Offline
trapper
N

Manitoba
The power lines come out of northern Manitoba/ Ontario/ PQ from the hydro projects, and travel on them the lynx catch a trail and follow the easiest path in migration, easy trails and bangoo
I've posted some of the big catches before from this before.
More mining project and oil and gas exploration have had the same effects in Sask/Alberta?BC

move over 1800's this is the 21st century

Re: Lynx cycle [Re: alaska viking] #7124586
01/06/21 11:34 PM
01/06/21 11:34 PM
McGrath, AK
W
white17 Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
white17  Offline

"General (Mr.Sunshine) Washington"
W

McGrath, AK
Originally Posted by alaska viking
Ohm, I'm not sure. I was just minding my own business
, picked up a couple of wires laying on the ground, and BAM! Here I amp.

Yes !! I heard the CONDUCTOR yell ALLAH BOARD as the muslim carpenter got on the train with his volt meter . I HATE that metric system !!

I have to go now and take my nightly dose of AMPicillian

Mean As Nails
Re: Lynx cycle [Re: nooksack] #7128355
01/09/21 03:17 PM
01/09/21 03:17 PM
Homer, Alaska, USA
W
Wolverine Hunter Offline
trapper
Wolverine Hunter  Offline
trapper
W

Homer, Alaska, USA
I can't comment much. No experience yet with lynx trapping (and I missed the previous boom by a hare as long as we are punning around) - but coming from a biologist perspective, most states protect critters when they are scarce. Depending on the species, I'm not entirely sure how much it actually matters, and that's what I hear you asking. 6 weeks is a short window! I suspect not many lynx will be caught on the KP, and it will be spotty as to where. I tend to think a longer season wouldn't matter in the long run. And I tend to think that if the season stayed open on a yearly basis, only the most dedicated trappers would continue to try when numbers are low. In that case, I likely would not trap. JMO. The only reason I am trying this year is because it is a novelty, a bucket list item, and I've been waiting about 8 years. I have no idea if I will even be on this earth next year, so I better try!

All I know is, I wish they would move into the town I live in so I could catch just one. Hardly a track down here though I haven't been super duper far back because of such deep snow. Next year, if I'm able, I hope to get an earlier start and break trails as the snow happens. For now, I'm too old to be getting unstuck alone!

Re: Lynx cycle [Re: nooksack] #7128546
01/09/21 06:27 PM
01/09/21 06:27 PM
Kansas
K
Kansas Cat Offline
trapper
Kansas Cat  Offline
trapper
K

Kansas
These threads have become electrifying!

Re: Lynx cycle [Re: nooksack] #7130286
01/10/21 06:10 PM
01/10/21 06:10 PM
Homer, Alaska
C
Cytex Offline
trapper
Cytex  Offline
trapper
C

Homer, Alaska
Here on the KP with such short seasons and all the area that not accessible, be it the refuge or heavy deadfall trapping just cant have that big of an effect IMO. I think the cycle will run its course with or without trapping. My observation on the 2nd to last year of the last cycle, it was a big year, and after the close i still had some wolf sets out I was running till the end of the month and there was still plenty of cat sign around. The last year I figured was going to be good without the hares=hungry lynx, no refusals. The hare population had crashed and the lynx were gone, I figured I would still catch maybe half of what I did in the big years, but my catch dropped by 80%. Whether they migrated out or just suffered mortality without a food source I don't know, but it happened without trapping during the off season. In areas that have long lynx seasons every year, not just based on the hare cycle I could see how heavy trapping might effect the rebound, but the pressure would have to be heavy.

Re: Lynx cycle [Re: nooksack] #7136071
01/14/21 02:51 AM
01/14/21 02:51 AM
Alaska
A
Akmike84 Offline
trapper
Akmike84  Offline
trapper
A

Alaska
This subject has been beat to death for years. Danny Granguaard in Tok pushed for literally a decade to do away with the lynx tracking strategy. It was and still is (in some areas) a disaster. Areas that have long seasons no matter the lynx population have the same highs and lows as the areas where lynx are micro-managed. If you have bunnies you will have lynx, when the hares disappear so will the lynx. Lynx don't repopulate by the breeding population in an area reproducing. They move, plain and simple. It has been shown over and over that trapping effort has NO affect on Lynx cycles simply because it doesn't affect the prey base. If the hares get thick in an area the lynx will move into that area. Likewise, if the hares die off in an area the lynx will leave and look for better hunting.

Re: Lynx cycle [Re: Akmike84] #7136074
01/14/21 03:00 AM
01/14/21 03:00 AM
Northwest Territories
M
muskrat411 Offline
trapper
muskrat411  Offline
trapper
M

Northwest Territories
Smart thinking. Lynx do move in and out according to prey base. Not sure that trapping pressure has no effect. But all good points backed up by science.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  akntrpr, Ol' Blister, otterman