Young Trappers Forum

No Profanity *** No Flaming *** No Advertising *** No Anti Trappers *** No Politics

Home~Trap Talk~ADC Forum~Trap Shed~Wilderness Trapping~International Trappers~Fur Handling

Auction Forum~Trapper Tips~Links~Gallery~Basic Sets~Convention Calendar~Chat~ Trap Collecting Forum

Trapper's Humor~Strictly Trapping~Fur Buyers Directory~Mugshots~Fur Sale Directory~Wildcrafting

Trapper's Tales~Words From The Past~Legends~Archives~Kids Forum~Lure Formulators Forum~ Fermenter's Forum

~~~ Dobbins' Products Catalog ~~~

>
pcsoutdoors
(Please support Lenon's Lures, our sponsor for the Kids Forum Page)
Print Thread
Hop To
Northen Coyote Trapping #7099769
12/21/20 08:37 PM
12/21/20 08:37 PM
Northern Wisconsin
N
NorthenTrapper Offline OP
trapper
NorthenTrapper  Offline OP
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
I have three hay fields at my disposal to trap up here in Northern Wisconsin. I have a traps set in two of the fields and on an old snow mobile trail all dirt hole sets I set at least a week ago on the newest one. I used cavens gland lure for a lure one of the fields was worked by three coyotes in a loop around the field that I set on as soon as I saw the tracks I set one. Is there anything else I can do to make my sets better or to make my chances of them coming back higher?

“We will visit the Holy Land and see those places hallowed by the footsteps of the Savior,”
-Lincoln
Re: Northen Coyote Trapping [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7099774
12/21/20 08:42 PM
12/21/20 08:42 PM
Kentucky
KYtrapper2005 Offline
trapper
KYtrapper2005  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
You could try different sets. Maybe a double dirt hole or a charred set. Don’t use the same lure all the time change it up at different sets.

Trapping is what built North America, why take that away?

pro second amendment-- pro God-- pro Trump-- Pro America!
Re: Northen Coyote Trapping [Re: KYtrapper2005] #7099833
12/21/20 09:12 PM
12/21/20 09:12 PM
Northern Wisconsin
N
trapper
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
Originally Posted by KYtrapper2005
You could try different sets. Maybe a double dirt hole or a charred set. Don’t use the same lure all the time change it up at different sets.

Whats a charred set and how do you persnonaly?

“We will visit the Holy Land and see those places hallowed by the footsteps of the Savior,”
-Lincoln
Re: Northen Coyote Trapping [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7099853
12/21/20 09:22 PM
12/21/20 09:22 PM
Kentucky
KYtrapper2005 Offline
trapper
KYtrapper2005  Offline
trapper

Kentucky
Originally Posted by NorthenTrapper
Originally Posted by KYtrapper2005

Whats a charred set and how do you persnonaly?

(1. A charred stump set is pretty well explained by the name.
(2. Having the same set out isn’t the best idea. The same lure at every set is gonna scare the totes more than help. You would not only like pepperoni pizza for every meal you’d get tired of it. It’s the facts. I gave advice that’s all I can offer.

Trapping is what built North America, why take that away?

pro second amendment-- pro God-- pro Trump-- Pro America!
Re: Northen Coyote Trapping [Re: NorthenTrapper] #7100600
12/22/20 11:30 AM
12/22/20 11:30 AM
Missouri
trappergirl04 Offline
trapper
trappergirl04  Offline
trapper

Missouri
Also, if you use the same lure at every set and a coyote that sets it off is going to recognize the smell and say away from the other sets because they had a bad experience with that same scent. A charred set is an eye appeal set. You have charred wood that you stick in the ground and set your trap kind of like a post set. I think. But yeah, change up your bait and lure combinations

Re: Northen Coyote Trapping [Re: trappergirl04] #7100716
12/22/20 01:36 PM
12/22/20 01:36 PM
Northern Wisconsin
N
trapper
trapper
N

Northern Wisconsin
Originally Posted by trappergirl04
Also, if you use the same lure at every set and a coyote that sets it off is going to recognize the smell and say away from the other sets because they had a bad experience with that same scent. A charred set is an eye appeal set. You have charred wood that you stick in the ground and set your trap kind of like a post set. I think. But yeah, change up your bait and lure combinations

Thank you

-Lincoln
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

Moderated by  Bogmaster